Transmission mount ID and snub recommentdations

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
Hi All - I'm gearing up to do my first real wrenching project on my new to me 05 Passat. It's been fun but I think the mounts are donezo, may have something to do with me learning how to drive stick that did them in... maybe. She was manual swapped and maintained at KMH here in MA. It's a diesel 5 speed but I'm not sure from where it came. Which models mounts do I need to buy to accomodate what I have under there?

I'll be doing the engine mounts as well as the snub mount, seems OEM is the way to go for engine and trans but wondering what the general opinion is for aftermarket v OEM on the snub. Gracias!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Oem diesel for snub and motor mounts.

For transmission mounts i could not find a different part number from gasser to diesel. I believe a set if audi all road transmission mounts are an upgrade but i stuck with oem

Along with my 5 speed swap I own 2 other parts diesel passat and parted out 2 other 5 speed v6 passats to steal the 5 speed components. All of them have had torn transmission mounts.

All the snub(front) mounts on the diesels have been falling apart.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Do they make an oem diesel solid mount? I thought all BHW passat motor mounts were liquid filled.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I can feel the fillings in my teeth slowly falling out when i imagine that

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
Thx PR, looks like I will be sticking OEM, easy peasy concerning transmission mounts. I assume they are shot, I'm not sure how many miles are on the swap but i can watch the stick move when accelerating or letting off the pedal, also can hear the snub mount (or lack thereof) Just going to do everything. Have you burned through a set of transmission mounts from new on your manual swap? Curious of their lifespan

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
They appear to be fine. About 50 or 60k since the swap.

I will get a closet look when i do the timing belt again in 20k

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
The engine mounts should have red from the oil leakage on them if they are shot. I would be surprised if they haven't been changed already if a tranny swap has been done.

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
Ya I talked to the guy who did the swap today, says he definitely would have swapped them but mentioned when he did the timing belt which was unknown amt of miles before the swap. Hopefully getting somewhere I can put it in the air and get the skid plate off to hook my peepers on the mounts this weekend. Thx for the help hopefully have some pics to add

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
Good news, I got the skid pan off and checked all the mounts yesterday. Looks like snub is the only obvious failure. Cheap part - crummy job. I Think during quarantine that will be my preferred combination ha!

Couldn't tell an easy way to make a call on the transmission mounts, I'll do snub and see if any symptoms remain. Thx for the help all