2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen power loss hiccup - PROBLEM SOLVED

dv911sc

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I wrote in a couple months ago about an intermittent power loss hiccup my ‘14 TDI Sportwagen was having. The car has 52K miles and was not a buy back car. The issue was intermittent and each time the glow plug and dpf lights flashed for a second but NO CODES were thrown. This went on for a couple months and fuel filter was changed, ran a couple tanks of good fuel through it but problem still persisted. I took to a local shop and they fixed the wiring going to the engine speed/camshaft pos sensor as step one. That didn’t fix it. We then decided the best place for the car was the dealer so off it went. I really think they thought it was fuel related. Fortunately after driving about 10 miles the issue happened and they were like...damn this is a big problem. The engineers at VW were contacted along with a regional diesel tech. VW wanted an engine wiring harness installed but they were just guessing and it was on my dime because one of the requirements for coverage under the extended diesel warranty is the vehicle MUST pull a code. The dealer said they were not comfortable gambling with my $ and pushed back. VW agreed and the 8 week journey begins. Everyone put their heads together and VW agreed to pay for a new high pressure fuel pump. Done...problem not fixed. Everyone got together again including the 15 year diesel mechanic at the dealer and VW decided they would pay for a full set of injectors to be installed because that would fix the problem...Done...problem not fixed. The next step was to huddle and go through the entire emissions system including egr. Done...problem not fixed. The next thing VW came back to was to install an entire engine wire harness. They decided to pay after the svc manager drove the car and was so scared he wrote an email to VW that he would not give the car back to me in this condition. Wasn’t safe. The harness was installed and paid for by VW. Done...problem not fixed. The service tech then direct wired the ecm and the problem once again happened...Order an ecm and VW will cover it. Installed, drove the car 125 miles over 4 days and BINGO, problem solved. It was quite a journey but I have unbelievable respect for both VW for taking ownership and my dealer for fighting for the customer and not giving up. The final amount (parts and labor) that VW covered was around $10K which is slightly less than I paid for the car with 30K miles a year and a half ago. And this my friends is why I will buy another VW and support this dealer and my import shop going forward.

Rafer

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Holy diesel smokes.... your car should run very well for along time. That's pretty stressful, but now your car has lots of brand new parts! Congrats on the fix!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

TDI
Sportwagen
I wrote in a couple months ago about an intermittent power loss hiccup my ‘14 TDI Sportwagen was having. The car has 52K miles and was not a buy back car. The issue was intermittent and each time the glow plug and dpf lights flashed for a second but NO CODES were thrown. This went on for a couple months and fuel filter was changed, ran a couple tanks of good fuel through it but problem still persisted. I took to a local shop and they fixed the wiring going to the engine speed/camshaft pos sensor as step one. That didn’t fix it. We then decided the best place for the car was the dealer so off it went. I really think they thought it was fuel related. Fortunately after driving about 10 miles the issue happened and they were like...damn this is a big problem. The engineers at VW were contacted along with a regional diesel tech. VW wanted an engine wiring harness installed but they were just guessing and it was on my dime because one of the requirements for coverage under the extended diesel warranty is the vehicle MUST pull a code. The dealer said they were not comfortable gambling with my $ and pushed back. VW agreed and the 8 week journey begins. Everyone put their heads together and VW agreed to pay for a new high pressure fuel pump. Done...problem not fixed. Everyone got together again including the 15 year diesel mechanic at the dealer and VW decided they would pay for a full set of injectors to be installed because that would fix the problem...Done...problem not fixed. The next step was to huddle and go through the entire emissions system including egr. Done...problem not fixed. The next thing VW came back to was to install an entire engine wire harness. They decided to pay after the svc manager drove the car and was so scared he wrote an email to VW that he would not give the car back to me in this condition. Wasn’t safe. The harness was installed and paid for by VW. Done...problem not fixed. The service tech then direct wired the ecm and the problem once again happened...Order an ecm and VW will cover it. Installed, drove the car 125 miles over 4 days and BINGO, problem solved. It was quite a journey but I have unbelievable respect for both VW for taking ownership and my dealer for fighting for the customer and not giving up. The final amount (parts and labor) that VW covered was around $10K which is slightly less than I paid for the car with 30K miles a year and a half ago. And this my friends is why I will buy another VW and support this dealer and my import shop going forward.
I'm having the very same hiccups.
Shuts off at idle, at above idle reving or driving it catches back on ..

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
PLEASE tell us the name of this dealership! All vw dealerships are not created equal as far as helping TDI owners! I'll name roger jobs VW in Bellingham, Washington as a great one to deal with.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
When it happened to my 2014 sportwagen, the dealership identified it after a few days of diagnosis and replaced it under the dieselgate warranty. So, provided you're still covered, I'd go to the dealership and tell them your symptoms and suggest testing the ECU.

That being said, if you're not covered under warranty, you may still want to go through the dealership for the ECU testing and replacement as I'm not so sure that an indy shop or a tuner would be able to get a new ECU and install it given the coding/linking magic that happens... BUT I could be totally wrong.

TDI
Sportwagen
When it happened to my 2014 sportwagen, the dealership identified it after a few days of diagnosis and replaced it under the dieselgate warranty. So, provided you're still covered, I'd go to the dealership and tell them your symptoms and suggest testing the ECU.

That being said, if you're not covered under warranty, you may still want to go through the dealership for the ECU testing and replacement as I'm not so sure that an indy shop or a tuner would be able to get a new ECU and install it given the coding/linking magic that happens... BUT I could be totally wrong.
You too?
Can you explain the symptoms..
Mine lights glow and engine for split second at the same time it hiccups like a momentary off button. If held at rpm over idle it will continue running after hiccup at idle its enough to kill engine but not always its so quick the on off

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
The car would start normally and then die after 2-3 seconds. It would start and run normally after an indeterminate amount of time.

It also (once, right before my service appointment) started, was about to die, I pressed the fuel pedal and was able to keep it going, running really really roughly. It smoothed out a few seconds after I started driving.

Keep in mind this all happened in 2018/early 2019 so I may have missed some details.