Options for installing Navi?

giovanni1

TDI
Trendline Sportwagon
Hi, just wanted to ask a question as I cant really seem to find a straight answer.

I have a 2015 Sportwagen Trendline and would like to install a new audio unit that includes Navigation.

I have found a few options so far but nothing that seems to be a solid unit. I dont really like the idea of having to physically connect my android phone every time I get in the car.

I also found something called RoverOne. Not sure if this is the same principle for navigation as well (connecting every time).

I was thinking of trying to find an original Navi Unit from a wreckers, but I am not sure if it would be a simple 'plug and play' installation?

Anybody out there find a solution for MK7's for aftermarket navigation??

AtomicDiver

TDI
2014 Golf MK VI & 2015 Golf MK VII
I just upgraded my 2015 TDI Golf SE MIB 1 ((no Nav) but had Fender audio. I purchased a used excellent condition MIB 2 brain (with Nav) for $260 from LKQ online and a 8” screen on EBay from a guy in Spain for $290, new radio trim bezel from my local VW dealer. Installed everything and had Jack Kirry in Poland do the programming- everything works awesome!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I just upgraded my 2015 TDI Golf SE MIB 1 ((no Nav) but had Fender audio. I purchased a used excellent condition MIB 2 brain (with Nav) for $260 from LKQ online and a 8” screen on EBay from a guy in Spain for $290, new radio trim bezel from my local VW dealer. Installed everything and had Jack Kirry in Poland do the programming- everything works awesome!
how much was the "programming"? did the original fender amp worked with the mib2? I have read mixed results on that.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I recently did the MIB2 swap with the 8” glass screen. All in I’m at about $1,100 for everything. I could have went the cheaper route and saved a few hundred by having Jack program it, but I had Peter remove the component protection and do the updates. The radio was $175, the screen was $225, the USB port and wiring was $80, the programming was $565, and the trim was $42. I had to pay shipping to Chicago for the coding too.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
But how much do the map updates cost? I understand that some folks like the integrated look but, from what I've read and heard, VW's navi systems are less than ideal. Yes, we have to live with cords, but we have Garmin units with FREE LIFETIME map updates that are great. I have also recently been trying Waze on my iPhone with success.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Map updates are not, for all intents and purposes, available from VW in North America. They are definitely not available from VW for an MIB II retrofit.

If you buy a plug and play unit from APG they will provide free map updates. I don't have any experience but also no reason not to believe them. If you buy a unit from Eurozone Tuning I would hope they provide free map updates but I don't know.

If you go the used unit and have Jack do the activations he can help you get 2020 maps. I did the MIB II retrofit, then went from MIB II non-nav to nav, both with Jack. Originally had 2018 maps then updated to 2020. I had performance monitor enabled and maps updated at the same time, paid 40 euro I think.

I'm not sure what Pete charges for map updates alone. Someone that had him setup their unit might know. Could probably reach out to him on Instagram and ask as well.

Edit: And for what it's worth it, I am interested in VW map updates because I also retrofitted the digital cluster and I always have the factory maps showing. I also like having maps available when I'm in areas without data coverage. Not often but it happens.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The price that I paid Peter included the maps updates. The maps are on an SD card unless you go with the more expensive Discover Pro.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
The price that I paid Peter included the maps updates. The maps are on an SD card unless you go with the more expensive Discover Pro.
would you share the p/n s of the parts replaced? My MIB1 with NAV crapped out recently and Im debating whether to just replace the "brain" in the glove box with the same one or upgrade to MIB2. My original unit is 5G0035876

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I haven't looked in a while but I would expect the main unit in the glovebox to be similar for MIB I and MIB II by now (used prices of course). If you're not interested in AndroidAuto/CarPlay then replacing with a like unit will mean the dealer can do all your coding/re-activations.

If you go MIB II then check the threads linked above for the various ways to get that done. The holy grail thread on GolfMk7 has the part numbers in the first or second post. The OP keeps it updated so you don't need to read through the thread unless you're bored/curious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited: