HVAC Fan speed increase by pressing brake pedal.

jaysen71581

TDI
Passat
Hey all i have just inherited a '96 B4 wagon, i am going over this thing and noticed when i turned the heater or ac on the fan comes on and is barely pushing any air, however ill pump the brake and the fan comes to life and blows some air, i am also having ****ty braking as well, as in the pedal going all the way to the floor and poor braking performance. Could this mean a bad vacuum pump?

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
Are you running the fan with recirculation on? The recirculation flap is vacuum operated and the excessive movement of the brake pedal could be fluctuating the vacuum enough to move the flap

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey all i have just inherited a '96 B4 wagon, i am going over this thing and noticed when i turned the heater or ac on the fan comes on and is barely pushing any air, however ill pump the brake and the fan comes to life and blows some air, i am also having ****ty braking as well, as in the pedal going all the way to the floor and poor braking performance. Could this mean a bad vacuum pump?
Does that one have a cabin air filter? If it is recirculate, it could be pulling through a plugged filter (or heater/AC core) and changing when the vacuum changes.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The later type vacuum pumps rarely fail, sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Start at the pump and check the tube going to the booster.

jaysen71581

TDI
Passat
Update:
Ok i am a dumbass lol, it was on recirculate and i dont believe i have an issue with the vacuum pump. However after letting the car run for awhile i dont have any heat so i am going to check fluids tomorrow, replace my brakes and bleed the system to make sure i have the basics straight. Thank you all, by the way if anyone knows of a drivers side fender forsale i need one lol....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
fan RPM will always be the same regardless of recirc open or shut. the air movement sounds faster because its drawing in the vents and out so the noise level makes it seem to move more air but its the same. voltage does not change on the motor unless its changed at the dial. Vacuum has nothing to do with it. the only way to know is the measure the voltage and amperage at the motor.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
fan RPM will always be the same regardless of recirc open or shut. the air movement sounds faster because its drawing in the vents and out so the noise level makes it seem to move more air but its the same. voltage does not change on the motor unless its changed at the dial. Vacuum has nothing to do with it. the only way to know is the measure the voltage and amperage at the motor.
Nope. The recirc will determine the air path, and will slow the motor down with more restriction. The rpm will also change, and this is seen with an amperage meter. It’s simple physics, the longer the air has to travel, the more restriction it will have, and the more restriction, the harder the motor works, thus the more amperage and the slower the air supply rate due. I have worked with pumps all my life and a fan is simply an air pump.

The issue with your brakes is as Oilhammer said, check for vacuum leaks.

The issue with you getting no heat is probably due to not having any foam left on your blend doors. It’s a very common problem on these models, and it can be replaced without having to pull the dash. It means you are getting a supply of cold air all the time due to the blend door not having any foam on it to direct more hot air into the cabin.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On cars with a cabin filter that only filters outside air, the blower pitch will change some when switched, not sure about speed but possibly I guess. I wouldn't think this to be much though as the HVAC case on that car has virtually no difference in the length of the path to the blower motor regardless.

And it seems to me that, from my many experiences with neglected cabin filters on many different vehicles, often times the blower speed seems to be faster when they are stopped up, but the volume is diminished, likely due to a low pressure situation in the air ducting. But that may just be how it sounds (you can do the same thing with a shop vac by blocking the inlet... that is pretty obvious it speeds up the motor dramatically).

In any event, the OP may have various issues that need to be sorted out, and the cabin filter may also be living in a cowl that is plugged full of tree debris, mouse leavings, or who knows what. The junk cars (not just B4s) collect in their plenum chambers is amazing. It seems like older cars that simply didn't have this cavity in the body layout had an advantage in that regard.