Used TDI carfax shows it sat 2 years

Jetta_jriver

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi
Hi All,

Helping my cousin with buying a TDI and they found a 2014 Jetta TDI with only 15k miles. In looking at the Carfax, it looks like from June 2017- aug 2019 it sat with the Michigan DMV. Is this due to the emissions scandal and the subsequent fix?? Just not sure if this is typical for this generation TDi. Its for sale through Carvana and they actually have already ordered it. (Not sure how to attach screenshot to the thread, I am new here.)

Thanks!

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The Carfax will show the title/car being in Michigan, that is where all the titles for the Dieselgate cars went. The cars did not get moved to Michigan for storage. Check the Carfax for the original purchase location, and subsequent services and title transfers (ignoring Michigan, unless the car was serviced or sold in Michigan), that will give you an idea of where the car lived, and was stored.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
I've looked at dozens of these cars while trying to find what I want. The dealer that I worked with made the mistake of taking me to several holding lots to see cars that hadn't been processed yet. I started checking these lots on my own, looking for newly acquired cars. As new diesel-gate cars came in, I noticed that many of them had notes written on the DS window glass, or paper check sheets inside on the passenger seat.

From what I can tell, these cars were supposed to be started every month and warmed up. It looks like there were even moved around the lot occasionally.

I can't imagine this was real consistent, but I also don't think many of them sat completely untouched for that whole time.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
My 2014 JSW from NC with 13k miles sat for two years also. The back side of the tires were not cleaned and all 4 were covered with red dirt so I believe it did some off roading in the red mud.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Like said above ignore the Michigan title, just a technicality of the buyback. There are (were) TDI purgatory lots sprinkled all over the country.

My '12 was bought new by first owner from Stone Mountain VW in Atlanta, exclusively serviced there to ~65k miles then turned in (presumably at Stone Mountain VW) - can't remember the exact month but it was I believe Oct or Nov '17. Stone Mountain VW bought the car back from VWoA in 3/19, CPO'ed it then sold it to me in 4/19. I asked my sales guy if they were storing TDI's on their lot and he told me no but he was not sure where it sat, they bought it back because they knew the history on it and felt it was a solid auction buy.

There is/was a large lot a little over an hour north of Atlanta between here and Chattanooga that I am pretty certain both cars in my sig sat during purgatory. Like I said mine was turned in here in Atlanta, the 2011 lived first part of its life ~2 hours away in South Carolina.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sorry to hijack the thread but... are these cars "safe" to buy? Will there be any catastrophic repair bills (DPF, injectors, HPFP) in the foreseeable future? I'd love to stay with Diesels, as our 2003s are getting _really_ old, but...

Y.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Well you can try to get a cpo car..and also the emissions/dieselgate warranty is great..

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The warranty will push out any catastrophic repair bills in to the future. I would look for a manual to avoid any DSG issues and do my best to get the emissions system in top shape before the warranty ends.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sorry to hijack the thread but... are these cars "safe" to buy? Will there be any catastrophic repair bills (DPF, injectors, HPFP) in the foreseeable future? I'd love to stay with Diesels, as our 2003s are getting _really_ old, but...
No one can predict the future.

Personally, if I were to buy another VW, it would be one with the 1.4 TSI gasoline engine. Fuel consumption is close enough to that of a TDI as to make no real difference, and it doesn't have the diesel's complicated emission control systems.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
But the engineering and performance of these TDIs puts them in a much higher class of vehicle. The last German Turbo-diesels... (depending on what happens to Mercedes-Benz and BMW). Sob.