Mk7 Golf R springs on a Mk7 GSW TDI?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think so. First off, the front shocks on our GSWs is a 50mm strut, where as the other golfs are 55mm. So I don’t think they will fit. The rear of our cars is also a trailing arm suspension, which is an entirely different set up than the IRS the non TDI golfs received. I don’t think front or rear will.

Like I said, someone will correct me if I am wrong so wait for other answers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If Alltrack rear springs fit on the TDI's then R springs will work on the TDIs as it's pretty common for Alltracks to rock R springs with TT helper pads to balance the extra weight.

As for fronts, I'm not sure if the 55 vs 50 knuckles matter for springs, just struts, i could be wrong.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
The Golf R springs will fit fine on both front and back of your GSW TDI. I tried the rear R springs in my MK7 Golf TDI and they fit fine. They were much too stiff for a Golf, but they fit fine and and so will rear MK7 GTI springs, I tried them also. I currently have GTI springs in the front of my Golf. The struts on the TDI are 50mm and the struts on a GTI and R are 55mm. The strut diameter makes no difference.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
This is why I put that disclaimer in there.

Thanks to those who corrected me! Always up to learn something new about my car!

Out of curiosity, if the gti springs fit, did it lower the car at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
My current setup is MK7 GTI springs front and stock MK4 Golf springs rear paired with Koni's. With stock suspension, the car measured 27 1/8" front and 27 1/4" rear ground to fender. With the current springs and struts/shocks, it measures 25 3/4" front and 26" rear. All OE springs and a mild/reasonable drop. It rides and handles much better than stock.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
I'm trying to attain 0-1" drop with firmer handling. Additional cargo/trailer weight handling at the rear would be a bonus.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dropping suspension doesn't mean you can hold more stuff.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
My current setup is MK7 GTI springs front and stock MK4 Golf springs rear paired with Koni's. With stock suspension, the car measured 27 1/8" front and 27 1/4" rear ground to fender. With the current springs and struts/shocks, it measures 25 3/4" front and 26" rear. All OE springs and a mild/reasonable drop. It rides and handles much better than stock.
Went with GTI Mk7 springs and Bilsteins on my 2019 Alltrack. Lowered the car to stock GTI height and handling and ride both greatly improved. Thinking about putting a 24mm rear sway bar to neutralize a bit of the understeer.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
I also have a 2000 Golf GLS with the Shine Real Street package. Grat combination the 1.9 TDI and Malone stage 2 and Bosio 1019 nozzles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went with GTI Mk7 springs and Bilsteins on my 2019 Alltrack. Lowered the car to stock GTI height and handling and ride both greatly improved. Thinking about putting a 24mm rear sway bar to neutralize a bit of the understeer.
H&R RSB is a great upgrade on an Alltrack, just plan on moog end links as the OEM fasteners get crusty and cant be reused.