Buying opinion - 2014 JSW 6m TDI - Post Fix - sat for 2 years

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon (USA)
Can I ask for an opinion here on this car?

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/ctd/d/blackfoot-2014-volkswagen-jetta/6891449938.html

It was a VW lease that got pulled back, but sat for 2 years before the fix and auction.

This seller put new tires on it, but I'm worried as I'm just seeing story after story online of people buying 13/14's that sat for 1.5-2 years and they all ended up needing tires, brake pads/rotors, battery, fuel filter, other filters, wipers, detailing, and a 4-wheel alignment, etc

Is there any price this thing is worth to take on the risk of all that sort of "issue" stuff from 2 years of sitting?

Thx

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Can I ask for an opinion here on this car?
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/ctd/d/blackfoot-2014-volkswagen-jetta/6891449938.html
It was a VW lease that got pulled back, but sat for 2 years before the fix and auction.
This seller put new tires on it, but I'm worried as I'm just seeing story after story online of people buying 13/14's that sat for 1.5-2 years and they all ended up needing tires, brake pads/rotors, battery, fuel filter, other filters, wipers, detailing, and a 4-wheel alignment, etc
Is there any price this thing is worth to take on the risk of all that sort of "issue" stuff from 2 years of sitting?
Thx
Good question - Does the vehicle have a Carfax that you've obtained? What does the mileage history look like?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
The odds of a 5 year old car requiring one or more of these issues to be addressed seems pretty high to me... regardless of whether or not it had been parked.

All of the items you mentioned can be checked out by a licensed mechanic, or even a knowledgable VW DIYer.

Also, don't forget that the post-fix warranty extensions are fairly generous when it comes to anything related to the fuel or emissions systems.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if you do buy it, prepare yourself for doing the following reguarless of what the seller or records so done
All fluids. Brake, oil, (coolant is probably fine), Power steering fluid, Trans fluid, and rear dif or trans axle if it has one,
all filter, air, cabin, oil filter (quality parts, not fram or K&N crap)
Timing belt and service( rollers, tentioner etc...)
tires, Brake pads, and a good detailing
Unless there a 2016 DOT# replace them, dont care about what brand or wear, DOT# is the key.
possible other items that need service are new rotors if not in spec or galled and wiper fluid (rainx is the best) New wipers and a clay bar treatment and a hard shell of wax.
Unless your ready to throw down $ for those parts, about $1000 with tires, dont buy a car. you will probably need to do all these items within your first year if not most right off the bat, otherwise its just a gamble of spending more for no reason other than chance.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
if you do buy it, prepare yourself for doing the following reguarless of what the seller or records so done
All fluids. Brake, oil, (coolant is probably fine), Power steering fluid, Trans fluid, and rear dif or trans axle if it has one,
Unless there a 2016 DOT# replace them, dont care about what brand or wear, DOT# is the key.
possible other items that need service are new rotors if not in spec or galled and wiper fluid (rainx is the best) New wipers and a clay bar treatment and a hard shell of wax.
Unless your ready to throw down $ for those parts, about $1000 with tires, dont buy a car. you will probably need to do all these items within your first year if not most right off the bat, otherwise its just a gamble of spending more for no reason other than chance.
Doesn't this really depend on the mileage of the vehicle? According to the manual, the timing belt change on a 2014 JSW 2.0 TDI isn't due until 130,000 miles. Of course you can do it sooner, but if the vehicle only has 30 or 40 thousand miles on it, you certainly won't need to change the timing belt for a few years, unless you drive 30,000 miles a year.

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagon TDI Sunroof
Doesn't this really depend on the mileage of the vehicle? According to the manual, the timing belt change on a 2014 JSW 2.0 TDI isn't due until 130,000 miles. Of course you can do it sooner, but if the vehicle only has 30 or 40 thousand miles on it, you certainly won't need to change the timing belt for a few years, unless you drive 30,000 miles a year.
I was kind of wondering this too, but I have read that sitting that long without use can shape/warp/harden the belt. I know that over time the belt will crack and become brittle but I'm also wondering if a timing belt service is needed since it's been sitting.. As far as I know the timing belt service is pretty pricey, $700-ish? My estimate could be off though.

Anyway, eager to hear any insight!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I was kind of wondering this too, but I have read that sitting that long without use can shape/warp/harden the belt. I know that over time the belt will crack and become brittle but I'm also wondering if a timing belt service is needed since it's been sitting.. As far as I know the timing belt service is pretty pricey, $700-ish? My estimate could be off though.
Anyway, eager to hear any insight!
So this is a 2014 year car, that means it was MADE in 2013, that belt has been in service for 6 years.
Unfortunately 130K miles or 5 years is the "service life" of this belt. Can it go further, probably, can it snap at any moment, its possible.
You dont know the history of the car, assume the worst.
these service items like fluids and what not are all past service life in either miles or years.
Brake fluid is a 2 year
Motor oil is a 1 year of 8-10K
Belt is 130K or 5 years
Power steering is usually the same as brake fluid 2 years, this gets neglected the most
Coolant is like 150K but usualy lasts "5 years but if its a nice healthy colour, keep it"
Trans fluid is usually 100K but also a service of 2 years same with diff and trans axle

You could go without doing these things and just drive it but your seriously neglecting the car and i know this stuff adds up but its the way you get to keep the car and the parts to last for a very long time.
Fluids are cheap, timing belt is not that expensive, if anything just do those 2 things for now, the rest can come as you have the $ within the year but you will need to do them.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
This is way over the top. He should be prepared to do the timing belt on a 2014 with 32k miles on it in the first year? Give me a break. A clay bar and hard shell wax? Come on, I have never had a car clay bared before and yet they manage to go well over 200k (but I did just buy some to use recently).

Look, you obviously take good care of your cars, but a new owner doesn't need to plan on that list of stuff.

OP, my signal that the car was well cared for and loved by the previous owner would be the alloy spare. If someone bothered to track that down and replace the steel spare, they probably took good care of it.

I'm biased because that is my exact car.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is way over the top. He should be prepared to do the timing belt on a 2014 with 32k miles on it in the first year? Give me a break.
service life on that and most bets is 5 years and about 100K. So yes.
Once you take care of paint when its in good shape, you dont have to worry about it.

TDI
Take a look at this link as well OP. Posted by Oilhammer, a TDI mechanic. Depending on where your car was stored, there can be corrosion issues, etc.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497194

For what it's worth I just bought a 2013 VW TDI automatic with pano sunroof with 45k miles from a VW dealer for $11,500. They replaced the tires, brakes, rotors, brake fluid flush, replaced the dash instrument cluster, wiper blades and detailed the car. At 40k miles the car had it's 40k service which means the DSG transmition fluid has been changed out. The car is in great condition inside and out, it was well cared for and the drains and seals on the sunroof are clear and solid.

Just to give you a base line for what the market is like on these cars to give you a little more negotiating power if you wanted it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i would offer than $11,000 for it if they did all the fluids, filters Belt and tires as long as the pads and rotors are at 50% otherwise that too.
$9,500 if they don't, otherwise pass

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
At 40k miles the car had it's 40k service which means the DSG transmition fluid has been changed out.
Do you have documentation that it had it's 40K DSG service? If you don't, I don't think it's safe to assume or conclude it's been done. The 40K DSG service would also be it's most important one in the vehicle's life (most grunge from any initial, break-in wear).

In regards to the timing belt, I have not seen a 5 year recommendation on a CR belt. I don't think that's accurate; the belts are not rubber and do not deteriorate from age like older belts.

I had a 2012 Sportwagen that I turned in with 125,000 miles. The original brakes weren't anywhere near worn. I have a 2015 GSW with 82K...still on original brakes and nowhere near worn. I also have a 2013 Touareg with 70K and it's original brakes are nowhere near worn. My 1998 Beetle has 225K and it also has original unworn brakes...no, I'm kidding but I haven't changed them in the past 5 years or past 50K miles and they show no signs of needing to be changed. You get the point...VW brakes don't wear rapidly and you shouldn't have to worry about those ones for another 5 years.

The price is slightly high for a lower trim model, but the stick increases it to whatever the market will bear. That's always the case, but in the situation of a TDI stick the lower trim coupled with the "base" transmission actually increases market value to a niche group of purchasers. The gist of it is that a stick means you can't accurately compare the asking price to what someone else paid for a DSG and you also run the risk of losing the vehicle if you hem or haw over $1-2 thousand dollars. The stick brings a wild card into the equation so you have to really make sure it's one of your must-haves before you approach the negotiation table.

TDI
Do you have documentation that it had it's 40K DSG service? If you don't, I don't think it's safe to assume or conclude it's been done. The 40K DSG service would also be it's most important one in the vehicle's life (most grunge from any initial, break-in wear).
In regards to the timing belt, I have not seen a 5 year recommendation on a CR belt. I don't think that's accurate; the belts are not rubber and do not deteriorate from age like older belts.
I had a 2012 Sportwagen that I turned in with 125,000 miles. The original brakes weren't anywhere near worn. I have a 2015 GSW with 82K...still on original brakes and nowhere near worn. I also have a 2013 Touareg with 70K and it's original brakes are nowhere near worn. My 1998 Beetle has 225K and it also has original unworn brakes...no, I'm kidding but I haven't changed them in the past 5 years or past 50K miles and they show no signs of needing to be changed. You get the point...VW brakes don't wear rapidly and you shouldn't have to worry about those ones for another 5 years.
The price is slightly high for a lower trim model, but the stick increases it to whatever the market will bear. That's always the case, but in the situation of a TDI stick the lower trim coupled with the "base" transmission actually increases market value to a niche group of purchasers. The gist of it is that a stick means you can't accurately compare the asking price to what someone else paid for a DSG and you also run the risk of losing the vehicle if you hem or haw over $1-2 thousand dollars. The stick brings a wild card into the equation so you have to really make sure it's one of your must-haves before you approach the negotiation table.
It had the 40k service documented by a VW dealership in Carfax. It had the 10k, 20k, 30k and 40k all done on time by a VW dealer according to Carfax. Hopefully that is sufficient evidence, I assumed it was but I'm sure there is always a margin of error

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
That's what I was concerned about. There are a lot of things that can be included or declined during a 40K "service" visit so that simple listing on paperwork doesn't necessarily mean the DSG was done. If it was part of a selling package (free services for 40K or something) or just a walk-in, they would have rolled it into the shop, changed the filters and fluids, and then listed the DSG as an add-on for around $400 dollars. Since the owner was anywhere from weeks to months away from selling it back you can imagine how that conversation went.

The ones I have seen are explicitly listed as DSG service on the chart. If you have any doubts, and if it does not state "DSG" explicitly somewhere I would have them, call the dealership and ask what was done according to the work order.

This is something I would check. I have not seen any buybacks with their DSG service done and it's not something the dealerships are doing under CPO before they leave the lots, either.

TDI
Thanks for the heads up, I'll follow up on that and make sure it's been done, or pay for it to be done if it hasnt. I know I can check the transmission fluid myself but I'm not sure I have the expertise to determine if it's been flushed or not. I'd imagine even if it weren't flushed it would look pretty clean after only 45k miles.

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon (USA)
Thank you all for the responses and thoughts.
I decided to pass on that car for now, at least at that price, and re-evaluate.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dont get us wrong, its a good car, the last years of these cars before emissions went to crap.
did you at least give them a counteroffer?

one thing i have learned from buying cheap and expensive cars is that your not buying the car, your buying the cars maintenance. a 2004 Porsche cyane with 300K on the clock will run you a measly $8,000. seems like a deal right? Well only if you can afford a $600 headlight, or say any part really that is going to cost 10x what it should for an affordable car.
VW is not a bad car to buy, just bear in mind that ANY used car is going to cost a minimum of $500 to get on the road in just fluids and a few other things. a staple that i live by is 10% the cars value at time of purchase and over 10 years, you should have spent another 15% in maintenance of that original purchase price.
food for thought.
granted, my 1985 honda accord, i spent $100 bucks on it in parts and drive it for 5 years with full neglect other than oil changes and fluids, didnt care at all and it drove fine, but its not worth anything so who cares.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I kind of agree that this seems like a bit overkill. I recently purchased a 2013 JSW with 22,800 miles on the odometer. The dealer detailed, did oil and filter, fuel filter and all pads and rotors. Car is currently having the tires replaced (I wanted my choice of tires). Also the car is CPO. I will likely change the transmission fluid (6MT) and brake and steering fluids soon. I don't see the need to do the timing belt, that seems like an unnecessary expense on a car that is CPO and covered until 2023. If I'm not at the mileage, I will probably have the timing belt replaced right before the TDI warranty expires. Why should I spend $1000 on that just in case when it would be fixed for free if something were to happen? I know this isn't the best way to look at things and I really do understand the benefits of preventative maintenance but this just seems like a bit much. Anyway, good luck with your search, be patient and you will find the right car!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk