got a new car... sat in a field for 2 years. what should I look at?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
finally retiring/selling my BEW at 325,000km before it needs $2000 worth of motor work (timing belt, cam, head refresh, plus im sure other things... so time to sell it for cheap)

picked up a nice 2003 ALH jetta with 215,000km for $1500 CAD (cheap!!!). dark grey, black leather, standard. problem is that its sat for 2 years. the motor was packed full of snow that blew in from the bottom, as well as a very dirty engine bay. I have not heard/seen it run yet. ran fine when parked two years ago. it would not even turn over when hooked up to another vehicle but all electronics and glow plug light came on. was given to a buddy from his mom before she moved, my buddy is a farm guy and uses a little 1/4 ton truck instead so no use for a low car that cant haul cows and bails. battery read .3 volts. very dead, and frozen/bulged.

timing belt was done by previous/first/original owner around 130,000km at the dealer 6 or 7 years ago. shes due for another one for sure.

I bought a new battery today for it (not oem... vw wanted $180, battery place my work deals wanted $109), as well as a jug of 5w40 t6 (19L for $122 after shells $35 mail in rebate), fuel, oil and air filter and a cabin filter from NAPA. id like to get it running first, then do more major things (timing belt, skid plate, egr delete, hitch, fluid change, detail, and a tune)

1. I was told to turn it over by hand. the timing belt is very concerning (my timing belt guy is 400km north). how do I do this? any pics or vids? id like to turn it by hand, then install new battery and filters and see if itll fire up. then order a new complete timing belt kit and have it done next week.

2. its got half a tank of 2 year old diesel... is this bad?

3. whats the best way (chemical) to use to clean engine bay? is it as simple as covering alternator with a bag, spraying something like simple green under there, then blasting it at the car wash (not at point blank).

id like to at least get it running and then have other things changed while my guy does the timing belt. brake fluid, steering fluid, etc...

Last edited:

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
I wouldn't crank it with that old timing belt. Use a 12 point 19 mm socket on the crankshaft bolt to turn it by hand.if that old belt breaks it will do expensive damage real fast.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I wouldn't crank it with that old timing belt. Use a 12 point 19 mm socket on the crankshaft bolt to turn it by hand.if that old belt breaks it will do expensive damage real fast.

thats what I was told too.

1. where exactly is the bolt I need to put a wrench on. got any pics?

and why am I turning it by hand?? just to make sure it doesnt snap? to make sure its not permanently rounded around the rollers? do I turn it by hand once or twice then call it safe to fire it up? whats the exact reasoning behind that? how many times by hand? what am I looking/feeling for when turning it by hand?

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't have pics but the bolt is behind the right front wheel in the center of the bottom pulley.you can remove the timing belt upper cover with a few snaps to see the camshaft and injection pump moving while you turn by hand. Only use the crankshaft bolt!!!!id turn it to make sure the engine ain't seized.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
You are just making sure the engine isn't seized. Make sure to turn it clockwise 3-4 full revolutions with the car in neutral. If you feel a lot of resistance, stop and don't force it. You should feel some resistance as the pistons compress. Use the crankshaft bolt only.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
oh ok. good to know.

my brother did try starting it last week and it turned over once or twice veryyyyyyy slowly he said, but when I went a week after there was nothing. must of been because the battery was so dead, then I tried boosting it off a tiny s10 battery with thin jumper cables.

I assume I can get to that bolt from the top?

is this the bolt here?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=66145

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the bolt but it'll look a little different with the pulley on. Easier to get to it from the bottom.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
hmmm. the car is in the street, dead, and in snow/slush. so jacking it up isnt an option, nor is driving it onto stands. this is gonna be tricky.....

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you pull the glow plugs, it will make spinning it by hand a LOT easier...

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
thats good to know. thanks for that tip. ive replaced the glow plugs on my old car so im sure I could tackle that on my own (for once) haha.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Something for comparison..

I purchased an 03 Jetta with an 01 engine in it from my brother in early December of 2017. I let it sit until mid-January this year (about 14 months). It needed the IP re-sealed and a new starter.

The TB was installed in September, 2012 and now has 104k miles on it. I plan to change it some time soon.

I know the above to be true as I did the work.

So, the TB on my car has double the miles on it than yours and is roughly the same age. I drive it almost everyday at 70 mph and faster.

As for the old Diesel Fuel, in my opinion that's nothing to worry about. My RV has "old" diesel fuel in it (something less than 60 gallons). I start it once every six weeks... runs fine.

Back to the TB, I'd just pop-off the cover and slowly turn the engine over as others have described and observe for critter damage.

I really don't see a major issue here ..... not really a small issue.

EDIT: Simple Green and similar chemicals will etch the aluminum. I wouldn't worry about the dirty engine bay until warmer weather. Then, with the ALT covered, pressure wash everything out there. I keep the ALH engine in my Vanagon (and Jetta) nice and clean by pressure washing two or three times per year.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
In addition to the engine.

The brakes, and wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, alternator, ac pump/pulley, serpentine rollers and tensioner. All of those can be seized, and the brake lines and hoses can be rotted/rusted through. The power steering rack and lines.

Anything the spins or moves can be seized, anything that’s underneath the car can be rotted.

Some of these things will be fine initially, but fail soon after you put it into regular service.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
If you cant tow it into a heated environment , to melt all the snow and allow proper inspection of EVERYTHING under the hood , as well as all the points identified by TDIJARHEAD, this vehicle is an accident waiting to happen, I hope you are not planning to be in my neighborhood any time soon.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Awesome. Thanks for the posts guys. That’s reassuring that I’m not the only one who’s car has sat for a year or so at a time

Yeah I’m gonna let it thaw for a few more days.... I’ll go one step at a time, I don’t plan on racing this car, going to SEMA, or plowing through your living room with it anytime soon because the brakes failed. No need to worry and hide at home. You’ll be safe lol. I’m sure the kid down the street with a hockey puck lift on his 96 Cummins, or the guy coming home from wing Wednesday tonight with a few drinks in his system is a bit more concerning than this ol girl with hardly any miles that sat for a little bit in -20 and +20.

Will pop the timing belt cover and go from there. I’ll report back with progress OR when I take out a school bus full of kids because it sat for a few months and absolutely everything is rotted beyond use/repair ��

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
sat in a field for 2 years. what should I look at?
The insides of every single air tube in the car before running the motor.
Creatures have surely taken refuge at some point inside that poor car.
You're a character, fouillard13, I wish you the best of luck!
One other thing came to mind, before starting and running it (which you should not focus on as your first goal), "bump" the motor a few times before going for the full on start.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I just changed the air filter and the fuel filter. Took the air filter tube off and it was perfectly, hospital clean on the inside. The airbox was pretty clean too. No signs of rodents anywhere. Glovebox. Airbox. Under the engine cover foam. I think I got lucky in that regard. It wasn’t in a field. It was in a gravel parking lot of a machine shop.... if that matters.

Going to pop timing belt cover off when it’s not covered in ice and turn by hand with no glow plugs a few times before anything. Then report back and hopefully install battery then turn it over

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
like every one says here, hand cranky only until you get a new belt
Change all the fluids, anything rubber hoses/ belts/ brake lines/, all filters, check to see if the AC line has pressure, push the shrader valve in for a quick tap to see if pressure is inside the system, even if its not fully charges, a system with some pressure is as good as it gets, no contaminates from sitting around.
Tires, possibly pads and rotors, check for rust. pull the carpets up and check inside, not from underneath. Pull the carpets from the trunk as well and inspect all the metal, same with fill neck.

even though the seller may say "we changed and did things bla bla bla" assume they did not and that the records were not done properly. Assume the worst and fix things before its an issue, IE FLUIDS, BELTS and so on.
TDI's are great if there kept up, looks like this could be a good deal buy only if its not a clapped out rust turd. thats a deal breaker, will not pass inspection with big rust and generally is not safe and a mold starter.

aside from rust issues, all the other things you can do with common hand tools.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
There is zero rust anywhere on the car. It’s a gem. We called dealership with the vin and they confirmed that timing belt and I think steering rack was done. It was last week and I can’t temember what my brother said. I’m going to call tomorrow to re confirm what was done.

But regarding the new belt.... I can’t do that myself. No one in town can. My timing belt guy is 400km north and I can’t tow that far. Guess I’m gonna have to risk it. That’ll be the only drive I do and I’ll have AMA on speed dial.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Does he really need to worry about turning it by hand after his brother already spun it with the starter a few times? Any damage that was going happen has already been done at this point based on post #6.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It should be fine. Melt that snow & ice out of the bay, add 5 gallons of fresh fuel, battery, and fire it up. Sounds like you got a great deal on it.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Does he really need to worry about turning it by hand after his brother already spun it with the starter a few times? Any damage that was going happen has already been done at this point based on post #6.

thats what I was wondering too. why would it randomly seize up on its own? I mean 2 years is long, but its not THAT long is it that rust would build up and seize every internal bearing and surface would it?

either way, if its not too much hassle id like to give it an honest attempt at turning it over by hand.. BUT, I get frustrated and run out of patience easily so if it gives me any grief ill probably just throw the battery in and start turning the key. oops. if the timing belt breaks, it breaks. thats the way she goes I guess. nothing I can do about it.

I like turbo bricks suggestion. its got a half tank now of old diesel. I can top it up easily. I also topped the fuel filter up with fresh diesel before installing... I imagine whatevers in the lines is still old though. guess well see when/if that damn engine bay ever thaws. supposed to be 35-40F tomorrow so ill leave the hood open all day and go from there.

I did get an amazing deal on it... providing it runs and doesnt explode on me, im laughing.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
thats what I was wondering too. why would it randomly seize up on its own? I mean 2 years is long, but its not THAT long is it that rust would build up and seize every internal bearing and surface would it?
It wouldn't seize up in that time but you wouldn't want to just start it up without getting the oil pump lubricating everything again since it's had two years to settle and drip off all the parts into the pan.

But the issue here is that your brother already cranked the engine a few times a week ago so none of that matters. If the timing was off, if anything was seized, any oil that needed to be pumped to the top of the assembly, any damage that could have been prevented rolling it by hand has already been done with the cranking he did. Rolling it by hand is moot now, imo, regardless of whether it was necessary to begin with unless someone explains why that's not the case.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I will confirm with him if he actually "cranked it" and got it to do a few slow revolutions or what. seems odd that I couldnt even get anything but a few clicks from the starter.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
That battery is beyond toast so it's more surprising you got even a few clicks than anything you might have been expecting :) You'd have better luck jumping straight to the wires without the old battery connected than trying to jump through a battery that dead.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
that was my next question about clamping the booster cables right to the wire... I thought about that but wasnt sure if it was possible or a good idea or not. learning a lot here thats for sure!!

which also makes me wonder... shouldnt a dead car start within 2 seconds of being hooked up? why would you need to have it boosted for 1, 3, or even 10 minutes. doesnt the electricity instantly go to the starter when being boosted? (unless the battery is completely fried). does increasing the RPM of the boosting vehicle produce more power? or are these just myths?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Why boost it if you already have a new battery? Booster connections can be weak, cables too thin, etc. It really isn't any more effort to just put in the new battery.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I agree with turbobrick. I was explaining why the old battery wouldn't jump not advocating for trying to jump straight to cable :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Sitting on a gravel lot is somewhat better than sitting in a yard or field. When I pointed out the list of things to look at I was going from past experience and what I’ve seen. I was not trying to be discouraging. If I had spotted this car around my area here I would probably have bought it also. I like a challenge.

I just recently bought a Jetta with more miles and a broken belt. Good shape body wise but the engine needed to be swapped out.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493010

I think it’s time to learn to do your own timing belt, 400k is what about 250 or so miles? That’s quite a ways to drive something that may develop any number of problems other than the timing belt. There is a good write up on belt change here on tdiclub and at myturbodiesel.

Once the engine has a fresh belt then you can sort everything else. Best of luck keep us posted on your progress.