ALH TDI sat for years.

Isackn

TDI
2001 golf tdi
Hello there,
I'm trying to resurrect a 2001 TDI ALH 5 speed that had been sitting for approx 4-5 years without being started and possibly dead battery for 4-5 years.

Currently I am having a no start issue,
Things ive done ////

-Timing belt replacement (timing was checked, then triple checked, then checked again)
-Drained out old diesel
-Fuel system flush
-Fuel filter replaced
-Primed injector pump
-Tested relay 109 (works well)
-Oil change
-New injector Nozzles
-Fresh IP
-IP solenoid functional

Things I have yet to look into further///

-Immobilizer
-ECU

Current symptoms///

-Possible low fuel spillage when bleeding injectors.
Thus engine turns over, just no start.

My thoughts, the injection pump isn't pumping out enough fuel to injectors. Possibly caused by #3 injector needle sensor?

Ive been a long time Forum creeper, but never really been this stumped before. I hope maybe someone can help me out!! Thanks!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
you are on the right track. it needs fuel, air, timing and compression.

you checked timing and have a handle on fuel. i would check that the anti shudder valve (next to EGR, attached to intake manifold) is staying open because that would block airflow. really you could just pull it off (leaving the intake manifold open to atmosphere) and see if it starts... if it does you know its an air intake issue.

do you get white un-burnt fuel smelling smoke coming out the back when cranking? that would indicate you are getting fuel.

Immobilizer will allow car to start and it will die 2-3 seconds later, i doubt that is your issue. car will also run with a bad needle lift sensor, just have no power at all. i doubt that is the issue either.

also are you trying to start it in the cold? i dunno what your weather is like right now but i know my car would just crank and crank and crank if the glowplugs were not functioning in low temps.

Good luck man

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I had a TDI that sat for a year or so but wouldn't start. MoGolf told me a procedure with VCDS to get it started. In my case, apparently, the ECU kind of forgets its job or something and it just needs a quick kick. I don't recall the procedure, but it involved going in with VCDS and clearing codes (even though it didn't show any) then going into adaptations and resetting something there.

Sorry to be forgetfully vague, but hopefully that will give you enough keywords to find it with a search.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Do you have VCDS?

I'd unplug various wire connectors (OK, IP, #3 injector), spray some electrical contact cleaner in them, perhaps dab a bit of dialectic grease, reconnect and see what you get.

You're in an environment that's quite humid. That'll tend to mess with electrical stuff.

I'm not familiar with the CPS (Crank Position Sensor), perhaps this could also be afflicted by moisture?

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I would be concerned with rodent damage. Particularly mice, you might have to remove the cowl and check all of the wires for damage.

My car sat in my driveway for 3 weeks in October one year and a mouse chewed up my hood insulation, cabin air filter, and a glow plug wire. I can't imagine what damage the thing would have done in 4 years

Moosenuckle

Veteran Member
TDI
03 tdi ,Mk2 aba swap w/charger; 97 Dodge cummins 5spd
My old Corrado from sitting over winter mouse ate my speedo wires at the end of the plug. Couldn't tell until I actually was looking around to figure out he had a snack

Isackn

TDI
2001 golf tdi
Thanks for all the great replies,

Il answer each

Good strong battery (fast cranking) ???
Yes it is and has a start assist

you are on the right track. it needs fuel, air, timing and compression.

you checked timing and have a handle on fuel. i would check that the anti shudder valve (next to EGR, attached to intake manifold) is staying open because that would block airflow. really you could just pull it off (leaving the intake manifold open to atmosphere) and see if it starts... if it does you know its an air intake issue.

do you get white un-burnt fuel smelling smoke coming out the back when cranking? that would indicate you are getting fuel.

Immobilizer will allow car to start and it will die 2-3 seconds later, i doubt that is your issue. car will also run with a bad needle lift sensor, just have no power at all. i doubt that is the issue either.

also are you trying to start it in the cold? i dunno what your weather is like right now but i know my car would just crank and crank and crank if the glowplugs were not functioning in low temps.

Good luck man
As per the EGR, its been deleted and intake cleaned.

I had a TDI that sat for a year or so but wouldn't start. MoGolf told me a procedure with VCDS to get it started. In my case, apparently, the ECU kind of forgets its job or something and it just needs a quick kick. I don't recall the procedure, but it involved going in with VCDS and clearing codes (even though it didn't show any) then going into adaptations and resetting something there.

Sorry to be forgetfully vague, but hopefully that will give you enough keywords to find it with a search.
Thanks for the Heads up I'll read into that!

Rodent check had been done at the beginning of the project, and it appeared to be free of damage. Although there was some moisture in the interior of the car though didn't appear to have damaged anything or corroded.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It just might take a long time to purge air out of the IP. Not sure how much cranking time has been spent so far. But, yeah, could be old fuel in the IP yet (plus air).

Crack all injectors (have something to catch the mess) and crank away: making sure to give the starter time to cool down (max 10 sec cranks).; keep charge on battery.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Try using a jerry can full of fresh diesel straight into the fuel filter.

Yep, and hook it up as an IV drip type arrangement. Crank with the injector hold down nuts cracked open and see how much fuel it consumes and spews out. It should be an enough coming out the lines to make a fair mess in some catch rags and see it drop the level in the elevated IV drip container. Takes the guess work out of if/where fuel is going.
Doing a lot of extensive work prior to a start on a previous non-starting/running car makes for a bit more problematic troubleshooting.
More than a few no start situations after a TB change that has been checked and double-checked end up being an error in locating the actual IP pin locking hole. Don't overlook the possibility the IP has been pinned incorrectly unless you have done previous ALH TB replacements.

Last edited:

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
If you knew why it was parked 4 years ago , it might point you in the right direction. Any chance of contacting the PO??

Ryan_m83

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Usually in no start situations if everything seems good hook up a tow rope and pull it around in 2nd. It will start. Probably air in the system the starter along can't push through.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
As I remembered the hard way: air compresses and D2 doesn't. I had an incomplete purge once or twice and my engine would not start. Not only did I need to bleed line 3 more that I thought I would need to, but I had to bleed two more lines before she would start. You may still have some air somewhere. Pun not intended.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, based on my limited experience (swapped injectors on the daughter's wagon and ended up having to do a lot more cranking that I thought I should need to have done- had swapped a couple sets on two of my Golfs and there was really no issues starting up) and from what I've read of others' issues, it can get almost ugly some times (which is why it's always said that you do NOT want to run out of fuel).