Picking up a 98 that has sat for 2 years...

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
Im going to pick up another 98 TDI Just like mine, same color and everything, that has been sitting for 2 years. Its a 7hr drive to go get it this weekend so I am looking for advice on what to check for. I would like to be able to just drive it home, but I am taking a tow dolly just in case. It ran when it was parked for a injection pomp leak. The timing belt has been recently done, (ill check for name brand or not as well as tensioner). I am guessing the fuel is going to possibly have algae build up in it, so I am taking a new fuel filter also. I plan on changing the oil and filter also right away. I was told it just "clicks" when the key is turned to start it, so I am guessing it needs a battery replaced (which I am taking). Any other advice on what to look for? Anything I should address before I attempt to drive it home?

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I'd take a coil of rubber hose/line that could be used to replace any split vacuum lines. Even if you buy it at a home center it would be fine for the temporary trip back home. then, buy the good stuff in the future once you see what you truly need. Take some spare hose clamps of various size too.

Do you have Vag-com. You might want to read any CEL codes to see what you are dealing with.

Good luck,

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
Great advice so far!! I will add that stuff to the list. I plan on "mashing the breaks" on the back roads before I hit the HWY. If all else fails, I will have my car with a tow dolly following me home if something comes up and the car needs towed. In all honesty I am making it a little adventure for me and my 4 year old son, and a friend and his son. I figure it to be a challenge!

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would take a positive pressure fuel source. A boat tank of diesel to set on the roof, or a smaller container to hang from the hood. Run the fuel return line to it. Use it for the fill and vent, warmup. If you take a smaller fuel tank to hang from the hood, you can use that to do a diesel purge.

A can of diesel purge. The low pressure fuel pump vanes often hang up on rotary pumps that have sat a while; this helps to free them up. This is also why the positive pressure fuel source is a good idea on one that has set up for a long time.

A mityvac.

If you can get some good quality bioD it may help swell the orings for the short term.

A voltmeter.

Airfilter?

Air compressor to air up the tires. Check the spare.

Verify the brake lights work.

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
Sounds good Dan. I am taking another set of tires and rims just in case also. Should I use a Mighty van to prime the injection pump? I am taking 2 bottles of Schaeffers Diesel treat 2000, this stuff works great for our 7.3L and 6.0L Ford diesel injectors, so i figured it would work great on this car also. I am taking Vag Com with me for codes/timing check.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Because of the low pressure pump issues common after sitting a long time, I would use a positive pressure fuel feed.

Simple form, take a conical nosed gear lube bottle, put a 1/4" ID (?? my MK uses 5/16"), on the nose and to the IP inlet (or fuel filter inlet) and cut a hole in what was the flat bottom for the return line to dump into (again need extra length of hose, and use the return hose from the pump or the filter to the tank, depending on where you hooked up the fuel supply line). Fill the gear lube bottle from some small container. Crack the fuel lines on the injectors. Wait 10 minutes or so, fuel should come out of one or two lines. Tighten the ones that have fuel coming out.

Crank the car until fuel comes out the other two, then tighten them. I do it while it is cranking (if I have someone else to operate the key), and it usually starts when I tighten the #3 injector line.

I would run it on the gravity fed fuel until it warmed up, maybe even do the IP cleaning.

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
Ok will do, I do have a little electric fuel pump I can take, it's a "lift pump" for small diesel engines. I think that would do the trick also! On these pumps I assume you have to have the key on to let the fuel flow past the solenoid in the pump, it not?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
air filter for sure, who knows if the thing in there is even useable at all.. eaten up by mice or whatnot...

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Ok will do, I do have a little electric fuel pump I can take, it's a "lift pump" for small diesel engines. I think that would do the trick also! On these pumps I assume you have to have the key on to let the fuel flow past the solenoid in the pump, it not?
No, leaving the key on is not necessary. Let the electric pump push fuel into the inlet of the injection pump until flow is coming out the return fitting. Only a little flow will come out as fuel has to pass the machined clearances in the internal vane pump, that's ok. May take some time. The shutdown solenoid only stops the fuel in the last bit of travel from the plunger to the injector lines. That does not come into play until engine is rolling by starter.

So reprime with elec pump. Then crack loose 17mm nuts on injectors. Turn key on and crank til fuel spits at nuts. Snug nuts and crank. May take a few tries.

Good Luck!!

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
Went and picked the car up last night, drive 7hrs, got there and we pushed the car onto The concrete where we were able to work on it. I primed the fuel system put the jump box on it and hit the key and nothing. Tried to jump the small red wire on the starter and it does even click. I jumped the large wires on it and the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. After messing with it for a while we decide to push it down the street and bump it in 2nd gear, it rolls around a few times then fires up and idles smooth! The breaks all check out so we head back home, 2 hrs into the trip and less than a 1/4 tank The car becomes sluggish so I think it is running out of fuel, we fill it up and put more schaeffers diesel treat 2000 in it and head up the road, it barely climbs the hill on the HWY so I stop at the top. We swap filters , prime it and push it down the road where I bump start it again. I drove it rest of the way home with no issues!!! Paid $800 for it and took a little risk, but it was worth it! The paint Is a little rough, windshield is cracked, and the interior needs done but other than that I am going to drive it!!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Awesome!!!

You need to get a "resurrection" list drawn up before putting it on the road. Timing belt, oil change, tranny fluid change, air filter, go over brakes, brake fluid flush, new batt, etc etc.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Glad to hear you made it home safely, and it sounds like you got a good deal.

Now, I would change the timing belt and figure out the electrical issue with the starter.

Tony

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Glad to hear you were able to drive it home! Post some pics!

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
I checked the belt an was told it was just changed, its a dayco. I am getting the rest done in the next few weeks. I forgot how underpowered the stock engine is, my car is tuned with nozzles and will run circles around the "new" one. Tires are new and the ac is COLD!!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I checked the belt an was told it was just changed, its a dayco.
Receipts? How about the tensioner? Other aspects of the t-belt system?

Most of us would replace the whole system at this point, unless there was very good evidence it was done. Otherwise it's a gamble - like $2K or so gamble.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Recommend changing the whole TB system-belts,tensioners,rollers.You have no idea if it was done properly or half-assed the last time. The AHU tb kits are cheap enough from vendors on here($140-$150)-just for peace of mind.Glad you got a deal-these A3 tdi's are tough to find,let alone w/ a decent body.

mattman347

Veteran Member
TDI
96 5 Speed Passat
The timing belt was done by:
VW Specialty, Inc.
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I have where he wrote it down, it looks to have around 20000 miles on it according to the records. I have no problem doing the belt, I just don't want to spend another $150 if there is no reason. Any belt can break, at any time, that goes for new ones also.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The problem is in the details. The belts that "break" are usually not the belt's fault. It's usually something in the system breaking, allowing the belt to slip. Lose a roller, you've got a problem. If you have the receipt showing all proper parts, you may have much more peace of mind. If not, use your own judgement. It is, after all, your car and your decision.

ajrn

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, '98 Beetle
congrats on the "barn find.."

Around here, it's impossible to find a TDI ENGINE at that price.. The rest is bonus material..

ruthrj

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
CV Axle boot

I bought a 98 Jetta TDI that had sat for 1 year, and when I got it home I found that the CV axle boot on the passenger side had torn. Sounds crazy, but I'd give a look at those too before you start driving it daily. Something about sitting there for a while without moving caused the boot to rupture on the 1 hr drive home, and the inside of the wheel was splattered/covered with axle grease.