Sat for two years. Suggestions?

zivatar

TDI
1996 Passat
My'96 B4 sat for two years without running. Before it sat, it had intermittent starting problems due (I think) to ignition switch problems. Then I lost the key, which is why it sat. (Dummy) Just had a new key made by locksmith from door cylinder, replaced dead battery, much to my surprise it started right away, ran, albeit with much smoke.

Does anyone have suggestions about what I should do now? I need to replace at least one of the tires, maybe more, so I won't be driving it anywhere in the short run, but what else should I do to get it going again, given that it sat for so long?

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
change fluids, filters and the tires for safety reasons, and thats pretty much it just hope no critters chewed any wires and call it a day ;)

when you change the fluids make sure to do the trans as-well since theres a good chance that hasn't been touched in over 15 years

edit: when you get her going make sure to put in fresh diesel and an additive. too make sure water doesn't get to the fuel filter, (get an extra one and change it after/before your next oil change) filters are cheaper than the components it's protecting

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Sat. for two years?

I've heard the expression "...a month of Sundays", but "Saturday for two years"? That's a new one for me....:p

My resurrection project sat for a year. It had a full tank of fuel when it was stopped. It still has the same tank of fuel. I will NOT be using it in my cars. I've been running it with a jerry-jug while I work on it.
Change the fluids as noted.
I'd also strongly consider changing the cam belt. Two years, in one position, under tension, might have started the seeds of failure (like tires flat-spotting).

Nucpotato

TDI
96' Passt TDI
Due to a leakey pump and numerous other "VW" issues, my passat sat for about 2 years with very little usage. Upon driving it every day, I decided to have the belts especially the timing belt checked and they were in operational order. Change the fluids and drive the car! Remember, it's a Volkswagen.