Single DIN in-dash CD radio installed today

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Had to build a connector harness to make it work. Also, Derek at Chubbs Auto in addition to converting my instrument cluster to MFA, also changed the lighting on this VW radio so now it lights OEM green.

VW Part # VWZ4Z3D5087138
Instructions are in Spanish and Portuguese so probably made for the South American market. Found mine on ebay.

Finally, I also installed a short antenna on a new B4 base and the fit is OEM. It looks good and functions well. I used a BMW Z3 optional antenna. Bought mine on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-E81...5c502f&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=10&sd=121678712754

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Looks good. How is the a.m. reception? I ask because when I replaced my factory radio with a Sony, I replaced the factory antena/amplifier with a new stock one. But a.m. reception still sucks like the amplifier for the antenna doesn't work.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That's a nice head unit, the only thing that would be nicer would be to have aux input or USB.

Nice clean install.

Steve

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Looks good. How is the a.m. reception? I ask because when I replaced my factory radio with a Sony, I replaced the factory antena/amplifier with a new stock one. But a.m. reception still sucks like the amplifier for the antenna doesn't work.
Did you use a VW-specific coax adaptor or a generic DIN-to-RCA coax adaptor (without the power lead)?

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
That's class. I'm impressed. Agree on USB or aux in. Any full-dash night illumination pics?

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
That's class. I'm impressed. Agree on USB or aux in. Any full-dash night illumination pics?
My above photo of the unit already installed was taken after dark and lit in B4 green. Will try taking another photo showing more of the dash.

The head-unit originally came with red/pink and blue lighting (see above photo), but Derek converted it to OEM B4 green, at same time that he converted my instrument cluster to MFA.

Last edited:

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
I seem to get more AM stations with clearer reception.
Overall, I believe that I now have better reception and better sound from this new combo (new head-unit and Z3 antenna).

I had upgraded my speakers a couple of years ago, and the combination of all three (head-unit, antenna and speakers) seems to deliver crisper clearer sound.
Speakers BTW fit perfectly behind OEM door card and OEM grille.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Units like that are nice when you're listening to books, you don't have to load all the discs into the changer cartridge and mess with all that. I know discs are going away but I still use them and will until I get them all into itunes and onto a media device, probably an old phone.

I searched based on the part number but nothing came up. I think these are relatively hard to find and IIRC there is another with aux input and maybe USB that was produced for a very short period of time.

I have a whole slew of different antennas around, mostly from excursions to the JY. I haven't decided on the one I use yet but I'm leaning toward this one on the B3V conversion.

Steve

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Did you use a VW-specific coax adaptor or a generic DIN-to-RCA coax adaptor (without the power lead)?
Chris, I simply don't know. The adaptor was labled for VW/Audi and the installer has been in business many years. Suppose I could check for voltage at the coax connection to the antenna, right? Think I should measure 5 volts for the amplifier? But if I have the wrong coax adaptor, I will not get any voltage,

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Chris, I simply don't know. The adaptor was labled for VW/Audi and the installer has been in business many years. Suppose I could check for voltage at the coax connection to the antenna, right? Think I should measure 5 volts for the amplifier? But if I have the wrong coax adaptor, I will not get any voltage,
It would be easier to simply remove the head unit and check, especially if you have the Sony removal keys or a set of universal keys.

The symptom of a classic un-powered amp scenario; no AM and 25% reduced FM.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't need to use a coax adaptor.
My new radio is factory VW, just for a different car.
The harness we made includes the antenna power already, since the radio has that feature built in.
I knew yours was OEM and didn't need an adaptor. The question was for John with an aftermarket head unit.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
After much searching I found another one of these OEM single-DIN front loaders at a British Columbia JY in a Golf City. Not sure if this Golf model or this optional radio/CD were Canada only. Anyone knows? This one will go into my B4V.

Radio Part number from back sticker 1JM 035 157 AE
VIN of the JY Golf : 9BWEL21J574007275

Radio I located is identical to photo below

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
After much searching I found another one of these OEM single-DIN front loaders at a British Columbia JY in a Golf City. Not sure if this Golf model or this optional radio/CD were Canada only. Anyone knows? This one will go into my B4V.

Radio Part number from back sticker 1JM 035 157 AE
VIN of the JY Golf : 9BWEL21J574007275

Radio I located is identical to photo below

Nice looking radio.

Steve

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Not sure about the specific part number, but some of the single DIN with CD from the City cars were also Mexico/Brazil markets, but you probably already knew that. I have one that's not yet installed, waiting to assemble the items for a radio cage 3 gauge addition so I can do it all at once. It's from a City Jetta, but most of the pictures I initially found online seemed to be the SA market.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Not sure about the specific part number, but some of the single DIN with CD from the City cars were also Mexico/Brazil markets, but you probably already knew that. I have one that's not yet installed, waiting to assemble the items for a radio cage 3 gauge addition so I can do it all at once. It's from a City Jetta, but most of the pictures I initially found online seemed to be the SA market.
Indeed the first one that I bought / installed a couple of years ago was for the SA market and instructions are in Spanish and Brazilian (Portuguese) . I sent it to Chubbs auto to change background lighting so it matches B4 cluster and dash back lighting.
The unit also required an after market plug converter (from an on-line car audio seller) and some tinkering with the wires to connect to the B4 harness.
The new one is coming from Canada where I understand Golf City models were sold, so hopefully it is a N. American model and will require less tinkering to work.
The only difference I noted so far is that the last two alpha characters in the part number are different between the two units.

South American market (?) 1JM 035 157 AH
Canadian market (?) 1JM 035 157 AE

Anyone knows what's the difference between AH vs AE? I also saw similar unit on ebay with AG

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have two like this, this one is p/n 1JM035157Q, but I think the other is a different suffix.

Pic won't load...

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have two similar 1DIN units, one is p/n 1JM035157Q, but I think the other is a different suffix. Trying to post a pic...

but the server has been giving me trouble.

Last edited: