Compare 2015 Jetta Sportwagon vs. 2017 Golf Sportwagon

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
I'm shopping for a "new-to-me" TDI wagon, maybe to replace the 1996 Passat.
I've found quite a few 2015 Jetta Sportwagons with a manual xmisson and a few 2017 Golf Sportwagons with a manual xmission.

Reading about the HP fuel pump failures is troublesome...but I do not find postings of failures from 2015 onwards. Does this mean they are not failing or just not being reported? It seems they both have the same engine if a TDI.

Is there any SIGNIFICANT difference in the loading capacity between the 15 Jetta and the 17 Golf? There will be at least 3 adults using this car to transport skis and associated baggage during the winter. I have not found any interior dimensions anywhere that shows the distance from the back of the driver seat to the tailgate (rear seat folded down) or the actual dimensions of the package space with the rear seats in seating position. The only values I've found are in cubic feet or cubic liters. Not very useful as the bags are only one shape and the skiis don't fold.

Any comments on this are appreciated...I really hate to be buying a NEW car now...I am not at all impressed with the electronic farkles that are offered as features. After my latest experience with the ABS (Bosch) I have decided to name it HAL. (2005 Passat TDI)

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I thought 2014 was the last year for the Jetta Sportwagen and 2015 was the last year a TDI was available in the US

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I'm shopping for a "new-to-me" TDI wagon, maybe to replace the 1996 Passat.
I've found quite a few 2015 Jetta Sportwagons with a manual xmisson and a few 2017 Golf Sportwagons with a manual xmission.
there is no such thing as 15 Jetta Sportwagon TDI or 17 Golf sportwagon TDI,
there is only 15 Golf Sportwagon TDI

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Yeah. Brain fart.
I was doing a LOT of other searches and blew the year numbers.
OK...2015 Golf Sportwagon and (maybe) 2013 Jetta Sportwagon.
I think I got it right this time!!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The mk7 is more fuel efficient and comes with a better extended emissions warranty. The JSW has IRS and a simpler cooling system. If the hpfp is a major concern for you, failures seem significantly more rare on the mk7 (EA288) cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Size wise i don't think the mk7 has any more room than a MK5 based 2013 JSW, but I do notice the rear hatch is more square of an opening which may accommodate wider objects.

Rear leg room will prob be the biggest let down coming from a B5.

For refrence, I think the mk7 is just at around 6' from closed hatch to rear driver seat (depending on position) which I think is very close to the JSW.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
I had a 2010 JSW and now have a 2015 GSW both TDi and both 6spd manual. I had the mk6 from 80k to 160k and the mk7 40k to current 78k. Both cars where Kerma Stage 1 and the mk6 was full emissions delete.

The mk6 is a better car tip to tail. The materials are nicer and more refined, the stock seats are more supportive, the brakes are better and the suspension is superior. Down side is they are all almost 10 years old now.
The mk7 engine and trans are superior. Right out of the box the mk7’s ea288 engine gets better mpg, is smoother and has more power off the line. After a tune the mk7 retains its mpg advantage but doesn’t have the same sense of urgency to rev out but still has an amazing pull to redline (while retaining all stock emissions).
The mk6 has a much larger fuel tank giving a comfortable 600mile range while the mk7 is a 500mile range. Lifetime fuel economy is 38mpg in the mk6 and 43mpg in the mk7.
No noticeable difference in legroom front or rear.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I had also heard from a few posts that the Mk7 based wagons have better interior noise reduction from the road. This to me is a plus with longer drive times. Also, the Mk7 looks more modern by a good bit in my eyes with the headlights and tailights. I daily my Mk7 wagon and love it. Got it in mid January, and to date put over 20k on it. I love the MPG, and the drive ability is quite nice. This is my first modern VW (others were pre 75s), and my first personal diesel. NO COMPLAINTS SO FAR!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had a 2010 JSW and now have a 2015 GSW both TDi and both 6spd manual. I had the mk6 from 80k to 160k and the mk7 40k to current 78k. Both cars where Kerma Stage 1 and the mk6 was full emissions delete.

The mk6 is a better car tip to tail. The materials are nicer and more refined, the stock seats are more supportive, the brakes are better and the suspension is superior. Down side is they are all almost 10 years old now.
The mk7 engine and trans are superior. Right out of the box the mk7’s ea288 engine gets better mpg, is smoother and has more power off the line. After a tune the mk7 retains its mpg advantage but doesn’t have the same sense of urgency to rev out but still has an amazing pull to redline (while retaining all stock emissions).
The mk6 has a much larger fuel tank giving a comfortable 600mile range while the mk7 is a 500mile range. Lifetime fuel economy is 38mpg in the mk6 and 43mpg in the mk7.
No noticeable difference in legroom front or rear.
I owned a '12 Golf (not a Sportwagen) and now have a '15 GSW. My impressions are opposite yours. I didn't like the Golf, try as I might. Yes, the seats were better (and I appreciated the cloth in the Golf) but the car was loud, with lots of wind and road noise, the ride was harsh without being controlled, and FE was not great, especially around town. And although I didn't experience it, I was also concerned about the risk of intercooler icing.

The smaller fuel tank on the '15 is disappointing, but it's only 1.3 gallons smaller than the earlier car. I wouldn't call that "much" larger. Build quality is better on the GSW, despite my Golf being assembled in Germany.

I sold the Golf before dieselgate happened because I couldn't warm up to it. Bought it new, drove it 29K miles. I have 14K miles on my GSW (don't drive it a lot either) since April 2017 and I'll keep this one. It'll replace my '02 Wagon, if that car ever wears out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Also, the Mk7 looks more modern by a good bit in my eyes with the headlights and tailights.
I like the headlight appearance on both cars. Just wish they functioned as well as they looked. They are rated among the worst in the industry.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I like the headlight appearance on both cars. Just wish they functioned as well as they looked. They are rated among the worst in the industry.

I was not a fan tbh. Least for the headlights. Changed those out rather quickly. The tails I actually like the styling of. When I have one of the stock bulbs fail I’ll get the LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
I do like my mk7 but there are some weird cost cutting measures compared to the more upscale feeling I had in the mk6. Simple things like the door hinges and door stops are weaker and cheaper on the mk7, the stock brake system is smaller at all four corners and the window switches regularly fail to auto up-down. None of these things make the car worse but it is the little bits I was surprised to find inferior.

The mk7 is totally fine in the SE and SEL trims with the better seats and Fender Audio. My best friend has a mk7 Golf SEL and it is a really nice place to be by adding back a few of the lost items like footwell lights and the better seats.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
If you want diesel you’re stuck with the 2015. If you want the nicer tech features without a retrofit you’ll want the 2017. I could get a 4Motion GSW in gas.