early/mid 80's dodge ram turbo diesel midsized

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
early/mid 80\'s dodge ram turbo diesel midsized

So I was coming back from Canada through Montana after a road trip and in a small town my wife and I saw what looked to be a early to mid 80's Dodge Ram pickup that was turbo diesel, but it was ford ranger/Chevy S10 sized. I had never seen one before. This is exactly what I am looking for pickup with the ability to tow around 3-4000 pounds and most importantly... diesel, I love diesel now, I use a little bit in the frypan to cook my eggs instead of butter
, my wife isn't quite there yet
. I looked into full-sized dodge cummins, but they are more truck and LESS MPG's than I need.

Does anybody know what the name of the model of the dodge midsized truck is? I know it will be hard to find one, quite possibly near impossible. When I was in Canada I saw a nissan truck 2.4 L turbo diesel that was from the 80's, anybody know the reality of importing one of them to the US?

-Jack

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

It was the Ram 50, which was built by Mitsubishi for Dodge (Like the Colts, etc). It uses a 2.4L Mitsubishi turbo diesel (smaller version of the NPR engine). You can find them in either the Dodge Ram 50 or Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup. They put the same engine in the 80's Ford Ranger diesel (I guess since Navistar didn't produce a small enough engine
).

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

Wow a google search turned up some info, and there is one 2 wd one for sale on autotrader, I think that I found the vehicle that is more rare than a Passat wagon TDI.

-Jack

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Wow a google search turned up some info, and there is one 2 wd one for sale on autotrader, I think that I found the vehicle that is more rare than a Passat wagon TDI.

-Jack
I've seen one or two in my time. There was a nice 4wd Mitsubishi version on Ebay a while back and in that Iowa town I used to live in was one of the Ford Ranger versions, albiet half consumed by rust, but it was still chugging along.

I'll swear by 80's era Mitsu reliability. My 89 Colt Vista is still chugging along. I've given it to my aunt an her fiancee is using it to drive between his home and hers, thereby saving excess mileage on his TDI wagon. Colt burns a little oil, cruise works sometimes and it takes forever to heat up like a TDI but it runs like a champ and has a halfway decent AC system.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black

There was a 6cly Mitsu turbo diesel version of the fullsize 1/2 ton Dodge for a few yrs in the late 70's also. Found a mint 4x4 stepside ~10yrs ago I kinda wish I woulda grabbed.

As for the Nissan diesel, it was either the Nissan or Toyota diesel truck I was warned away from many yrs ago because of a weak tranny, sorry can't remember which

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

The 1/2 ton is a little much truck for my needs, seems like it would be a good vehicle though. I did come across two toyota's for sale,I'll look into the weak tranny situation, thanks for the tip.

-Jack

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

The 1/2 ton is a little much truck for my needs, seems like it would be a good vehicle though. I did come across two toyota's for sale,I'll look into the weak tranny situation, thanks for the tip.

-Jack

tnt2150

Was that comment about cooking with diesel a joke, or can you actually do that?

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

The cooking with diesel is DEFINATLEY a joke
, do not attempt. I was just trying to demonstrate how much I like Diesel engines.

-Jack

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf

MacGyver, you were probably warned away from an older Nissan. I had an '84 4wd Nissan pickup (gas engine) that broke its fifth gear. The repair shop said they all did that sooner or later. Other than that it was a fine truck.

A friend has a 4wd, extended cab Isuzu diesel pickup of around that vintage. It's a really good combination of untility and economy.

NussWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver

You want to see rare? Check THIS out!

As Rosco P. Coultrain would say:
"ug cuc cuc.. I luv it I luv it I luv it!"

NussWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver

Just when I thought I'd found all of the good ones on Ebay. Here's a truck you may actually be interested in.

These older Mazda's were pretty solid. I'd ask some questions about the rust though.

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI

I've been thinking of a good engine swap project to make a good little mini-ute diesel, thinking of putting a diesel in a Tracker/Vitara package. Nice and small, great 4x4 ability, ride pretty well, good interior- it's just finding the right engine for it and making it work. I've heard of putting VW diesels in samurai's, but samurais are too small and have zero creature comforts.

Brendan

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf

Yeah, kind of like that ...

What kind of mileage do you get, what is the diesel like, and what is the Suzuki like in other respects?

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

Nusswag thanks for the link to the jeep comanche diesel, I'm going to keep my eye on that one.

-Jack

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI

So far so good, Mavapa. It's quite new, I've only had it since Feb. But I've seen as high as 39mpg (imp), the lowest 32. It IS an automatic however.

That's a Peugeot common rail engine, and I've fitted it with a tuning box

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI

So far so good, Mavapa. It's quite new, I've only had it since Feb. But I've seen as high as 39mpg (imp), the lowest 32. It IS an automatic however.

That's a Peugeot common rail engine, and I've fitted it with a tuning box
Exactly like that, you lucky bastard!
That would be perfect, although a five speed would be nice. My mom has a 2001 Chevy Tracker, it's a four door and an automatic, but the V6 is nice and has AMAZING off road ability (for it's size and ride comfort) with low range and on-the-fly 4 wheel drive, and good city manners and easy parking. I like the mini-utes, especially the suzuki/tracker platform with a real body on frame chassis. (no unibody) Oh well, maybe someday the idiots in the USA auto market will get smart and offer these vehicles with diesels. We can only hope!

Brendan

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf

My parents had a Suzuki Sidekick with the weak little 4 banger and an automatic transmission. We took it on some quite rough jeep trails in Utah. I was impressed. It would do anything I would ever be likely to ask a vehicle to do. That doesn't include boulder climbing.

SxS16ga

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto

HMMMMM, If I wanted to find a Diesel Pickup to tow 3-4,0000 lbs. (is a bit much of a compact truck with 4 cyl Diesel) I would consider either a Chevy/GMC mid 80's full size or even a Blazer, some came with 2.73 axel ratio's and I know of one flow who had the Blazer 3.42 and Banks Turbo and got 26 mpg at 70 mpg not towing. Not unusal to see mid to upper 20's. You have a full size outfit getting decent mpg
that will tow 4,000 no problem plus they are easier to find and get parts for.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

HMMMMM, If I wanted to find a Diesel Pickup to tow 3-4,0000 lbs. (is a bit much of a compact truck with 4 cyl Diesel) I would consider either a Chevy/GMC mid 80's full size or even a Blazer, some came with 2.73 axel ratio's and I know of one flow who had the Blazer 3.42 and Banks Turbo and got 26 mpg at 70 mpg not towing. Not unusal to see mid to upper 20's. You have a full size outfit getting decent mpg
I would not tow more than 2,500 pounds with any regularity, so the 3-4000 pound toe rating is more for going easier on the vehicle than anything.

So the mid 80's you are talking about is that the 6.2 litre diesel? naturally aspirated I think? That engine with "highway gears" gets 26 on the highway? something to look into for sure.

-Jack

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607

But I've seen as high as 39mpg (imp), the lowest 32. It IS an automatic however.
I guess that you mean 39mpg imperial though... That would be what, 33 or something on US gallons.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

I would not tow more than 2,500 pounds with any regularity, so the 3-4000 pound toe rating is more for going easier on the vehicle than anything.

So the mid 80's you are talking about is that the 6.2 litre diesel? naturally aspirated I think? That engine with "highway gears" gets 26 on the highway? something to look into for sure.

-Jack
1982-1992 was the production run of the GM 6.2 diesel. Not hard to find. I've seen plenty of them still running strong. Like what was said earlier, parts are easy to find, although if you want a new crate engine, you have to upgrade to a 6.5 since GM stopped making crate 6.2's some years ago, which is not a problem since everything on a 6.2 (manifolds, etc) will bolt to a 6.5 no problem.

They are naturally aspirated although a few had 1989-92's had Banks turbo's installed as a factory option which ended when the 6.5 turbo came out in 93.

Interesting sidenote. The 1/2 ton model pickups had EGR valves installed. I wonder if intake clogging was a problem because GM did route the CCV back into the intake as well, although they did put a factory oil scrubber in the CCV system.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars

Those Ram 50's / Mighty Max p/u's were good running little trucks. Also sort of rare were the 6 cyl.(gas) models. I owned an 85 Dodge version back in 92. It was quickly becoming a rot box back then! I don't know as I would recommend towing 2500lbs with one. Maybe if the trailer had its own brakes!

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI

Christi wrote...
I guess that you mean 39mpg imperial though... That would be what, 33 or something on US gallons.

True, but you really don't want to think about what an auto V6 GV gets- 25mpg (imp) combined, and it ain't much faster...

A manual HDI Vitara is scraping 50 (imp) extra urban. Nice, but I'm a lazy git that likes autos

SxS16ga

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto

-Jack
The 6.2 is N/A but you can run across them with Banks Turbo on them from time to time. If you go 6.2 route and want MPG Axel ratio is real important. If you are going to tow in the 2,500 range look for 3.08 to 3.42 ratio anything higher and you will have trouble towing anything lower and you mileage will suffer.