AdBlue

messerchmidt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdBlue

adblue = asu32 std = bluedef

use a clean funnel to refill the tank in the trunk, and tell the dealer if they insist that you need special tools,etc to give you that in writing (so that you can contact the ministry and report them [or local authority on the matter])

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
adblue = blue def. they like to tell you this fake little story so you overpay at the stealership for it. you can refill it yourself, but you need the dealer or vga com to reset the computer when you do.
Not true. In fact, Audi has now made available a special tool so that consumers can fill the AdBlue tank on their own from the 2.5 gallon jugs. The 1/2 gal bottles already have the correct fitting, but the fluid is much more expensive in that container.

The computer resets itself and the dealer is not required.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Is Ad Blue the same thing as DEF? A local company just opened a station near Indy that caters to clean diesel vehicles where you can fill your DEF tanks:

http://www.countrymark.com/news_rel_details.cfm?News_Story_ID=342

This fuel station is also unique in that it is the first fuel station between Indianapolis and Cincinnati to offer a public dispenser for Diesel Exhaust Fluid, also known as DEF.

All 2010 on-road diesel engines are required by the EPA to contain new technology that will significantly reduce diesel emissions. Many of the engine manufacturers have answered EPA’s call with Selective Catalytic Reduction technology that requires the use of DEF. New DEF dispensers are starting to pop up in Indiana, but so far are located only on major interstates.

“We saw this as an opportunity to provide diesel drivers along State Road 52 and State Road 9 with a convenient place to pull in and fill their DEF tanks,” said United Energy Vice President Denny Frey.

DEF technology reduces NOx emissions by 90 percent, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions by 50 to 90 percent, and particulate matter emissions by 30 to 50 percent.

The industry estimates that more than 75 percent of all diesel engines manufactured in 2010 and in the near future will use DEF technology.

According to United Energy CEO Wade Beatty, the Fountaintown CountryMark fuel site is open 24/7, accepts major credit cards and membership is not required for fuel purchase. The site is well lit with LED lighting, accessible from both State Road 52 and State Road 9, and offers pay-at-the-pump dispensers for gasoline, on and off-road diesel fuel, E85 and DEF. All diesel fuel at the site is a 2 percent biodiesel blend.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Is Ad Blue the same thing as DEF? A local company just opened a station near Indy that caters to clean diesel vehicles where you can fill your DEF tanks:

http://www.countrymark.com/news_rel_details.cfm?News_Story_ID=342

This fuel station is also unique in that it is the first fuel station between Indianapolis and Cincinnati to offer a public dispenser for Diesel Exhaust Fluid, also known as DEF.

All 2010 on-road diesel engines are required by the EPA to contain new technology that will significantly reduce diesel emissions. Many of the engine manufacturers have answered EPA’s call with Selective Catalytic Reduction technology that requires the use of DEF. New DEF dispensers are starting to pop up in Indiana, but so far are located only on major interstates.

“We saw this as an opportunity to provide diesel drivers along State Road 52 and State Road 9 with a convenient place to pull in and fill their DEF tanks,” said United Energy Vice President Denny Frey.

DEF technology reduces NOx emissions by 90 percent, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions by 50 to 90 percent, and particulate matter emissions by 30 to 50 percent.

The industry estimates that more than 75 percent of all diesel engines manufactured in 2010 and in the near future will use DEF technology.

According to United Energy CEO Wade Beatty, the Fountaintown CountryMark fuel site is open 24/7, accepts major credit cards and membership is not required for fuel purchase. The site is well lit with LED lighting, accessible from both State Road 52 and State Road 9, and offers pay-at-the-pump dispensers for gasoline, on and off-road diesel fuel, E85 and DEF. All diesel fuel at the site is a 2 percent biodiesel blend.
Same stuff.

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
filled up my 11 Treg with DEF a few days ago. It was soooooo hard. I had to put a small funnel in, open the jug and pour. Then it was full. I stopped. Nothing exploded, nothing bad happened. The tank wasn't empty, I just wanted to top it off since Im sure the stealer didn't when i bought it new. Now its full with 250 miles on the odo.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Warranty about to run out on the TDi. Called the dealer's service desk re: the AdBlue requirement. "CANNOT do it on your own. Need special tools and a special computer" to fill this stuff. Asked them about the price per fill: $50+/fill + cost of AdBlue. Damn. What is so complicated about topping off fluids? Now we need to know the position of the stars, barometric pressures, relative level of the axles and the alignment of the planets.......
Love it. Gouge me baby. ..........:rolleyes: Got nothing to do about "affording" a car like that. Just saying everyone wants a piece of you, others want bigger pieces of you. :rolleyes:
Kindly mention the Magnusson Moss warranty act, a USSC decision that puts the onus on the manufacturer to pay for items they claim they alone can service.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I bought the urea mixture from Northern Tool. No warning lights so far.

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
I bought from NAPA, but my local WalMart now stocks it.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Not true. In fact, Audi has now made available a special tool so that consumers can fill the AdBlue tank on their own from the 2.5 gallon jugs. The 1/2 gal bottles already have the correct fitting, but the fluid is much more expensive in that container.

The computer resets itself and the dealer is not required.
you can probably reuse the small bottle.... cut a hole in the bottom and the reuse the bottle/nozzle as a funnel when you buy the DEF in bulk

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
you can probably reuse the small bottle.... cut a hole in the bottom and the reuse the bottle/nozzle as a funnel when you buy the DEF in bulk
The 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut out works very well as an adapter and funnel.

However, one change needs to be made to my original message. If the low Adblue warning comes on, adding the fluid will not turn off the warning. A VAGCOM is required to do this.

If the warning has not come on, you can continue adding the fluid to stay ahead of the warning; and it will never come on.

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
The 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut out works very well as an adapter and funnel.

No need to do that.The special adapter top can easily be seperated from the bottle to make it a simple "screw-on" -> "screw-off" bottle.Just carefully cut it off at the crimp down at the bottom of the adapter (just below the blue part).Took me about 10 minutes...and I had the most rudimentary tools (a sharp knife,actually).

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
No need to do that.The special adapter top can easily be seperated from the bottle to make it a simple "screw-on" -> "screw-off" bottle.Just carefully cut it off at the crimp down at the bottom of the adapter (just below the blue part).Took me about 10 minutes...and I had the most rudimentary tools (a sharp knife,actually).
And then what do you do with that special adapter top?

Personally, I like the large funnel created by the bottomless 2 liter bottle. That way I can pour from the 2.5 gallon bottle and have a filter to catch any crap and a valve to stop the flow so I can remove any excess without it spilling all over the inside of the fender.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
distance on full tank of Adblu

I'm trying to find out how many miles you can go before the Adblu light comes on and/or how many miles you can go on one tank/reservoir of Adblu?

I know there are variables involved, but a close estimate would be sufficient. I think the dealer forgot to top of the Adblu at the 45K srevice. Now the Adblu light is on and it says 600 miles to service.

My parents own the car and purchased the Audi extended service plan. I would think any Audi dealer would take care of them and top off the Adblu without any hassle.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
I know there are variables involved, but a close estimate would be sufficient. I think the dealer forgot to top of the Adblu at the 45K srevice. Now the Adblu light is on and it says 600 miles to service.
AdBlue is used at about 1 gallon per 2000 miles. The reservoir tank holds about 6 gallons.

rpickoff

TDI
Passat SE
No warning reset needed

adblue = blue def. they like to tell you this fake little story so you overpay at the stealership for it. you can refill it yourself, but you need the dealer or vga com to reset the computer when you do.
Not true in my VW passat TDI. I have been topping off the DEF tank fora year and a half and never reset the computer.....no warnings and no lock out.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 EL350BlueTec & 2011 Jetta TDI Comfortline
Not sure if it's the same with VW n Audi but with my BMW 335d and E250BT, after refilling with DEF the warning sign resets itself after driving for a few miles.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk

pedser

TDI
Q5 TDI
adblue issues...

I have issues with the dealer advice on the adblue refill, the special tool is your tire lug wrench to take out the small cap next to the diesel filler. The system knows how much it has and when needing to refil a warning comes up.

You can get adblue from any VW or audi dealer, it comes in one qtr containers, the nice part is that once you remove the cap in your car the plastic bottle screwws in (perfect fit) the hole. It takes about a couple of gals to fill up (look in the manual), and if you do not want to use audi service you can buy one bottle and a galon from any parts store and refill the bottle until full.

Makes me mad when I get those answers at the dealerships.

Theres also several YouTube videos on how to add.

Enjoy,

Pedro

MilenP

Veteran Member
Ok, after doing a very extensive search, I still couldn't get any info about how to reset Adblue levels in the main tank with a VagCom after refilling. Can somebody please post a link? Thanks in advance!

MilenP

Veteran Member
So, after more extensisve research and discussion with Ross-Tech support, here is what i know. New cars, after ~2011 do nor need to have Adblue level reset. Once more is added, the computer adjust by itself.
Regarding checking the level, the above instructions and PDF from myturbodiesel are for older cars :(. With new cars - direct copy/paste from Ross-Tech:
. You can find the information about the AdBlue level in [Advanced Measuring Values] blocks.
- Look for:
[Remaining vehicle distance until reducing agent deficiency]
- Also useful:
[Used reducing agent since last service] [Average reducing agent since last filling]
Hope this helps.

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
I just scanned through the thread and didn't see anybody mention that you can buy the small bottle with the filler attachment on it, then cut the bottom off, use it as a funnel and buy any DEF you want.

hkmk23

TDI
V10
Particulate fluid/Adblue/P#ss.....

Hi all,
new to this awsome site, I live in France and have a Nov 2005 V10 Touareg. Last week a light I had never seen before came up saying Particulate filter - see wallet (they really meant see wallet - the one you keep your money in!)
Anyway, as I live out in the sticks I have my own VCDS software and cable and a laptop so I was able to run the full diagnostics. True it said particulate fluid level empty! First phone call to VW Jersey (Channel Isles) who told me to regenerate it...duh! Next to the french VW said they would order 5l of fluid €67 (about $40). So with nothing to do but wait I researched where this stuff should go, one website showed the filler with a second "Adblue" filler...nope not got that, the next showed the spare wheel removed and a rubber bung in the wheel well....as there is no spare on this TReg there is a big second battery in bottom of the well (to run all the toys)...so if anyone has any (respectable) suggestions as to where I put the missing fluid, I am all ears...

MilenP

Veteran Member
DPF/Adblue

Hmmm, I don't know if only Adblue is the problem, but if it is, check myturbodiesel.com. I think there, you will be able to find where you will have to add on more of the stuff. Just a suggestion, although, I am almost sure, after your research, you went through that already.

barbarmi

TDI
2010 Audi Q7
Help for 2010 Q7

So, after more extensisve research and discussion with Ross-Tech support, here is what i know. New cars, after ~2011 do nor need to have Adblue level reset. Once more is added, the computer adjust by itself.
Regarding checking the level, the above instructions and PDF from myturbodiesel are for older cars :(. With new cars - direct copy/paste from Ross-Tech:
. You can find the information about the AdBlue level in [Advanced Measuring Values] blocks.
- Look for:
[Remaining vehicle distance until reducing agent deficiency]
- Also useful:
[Used reducing agent since last service] [Average reducing agent since last filling]
Hope this helps.
I have a 2010 Q7 TDI Premium Plus ~85K miles. Had the AudiCare Service through 45K, been performing maintenance myself since then. I have been having a problem with the AdBlue consumption indication (don't know if it is real or not). Have a VCDS. I tried to find the information listed above but can't find it on my car. So a couple of questions;

1) Can you please provide a step by step to get to this information (Which Tab, which Control Module etc.) I tried stepping through all the tabs and all the modules (that made sense)and Advance Measuring Values is only an option on on a couple and couldn't find the reducing agent on any of them. It might not be available on my year, just want to make sure.

2) Ross-Tech provided the Measuring Block locations for my car for Tank Level, but didn't have any other info. When I look in the Measuring Block location, 4 values are presented, only 1 has a label (4th position) which is labeled Tank Level (Just like Ross-Tech said). After filling the tank this value reads 19 but don't know what a full Tank should read.

3) Following threads I have seen where some say Adaptation is required and some say it isn't (depending on the version software you have). I have tried the "Key on for 30+ secs" but that didn't change anything. Does anyone have specific Adaptation instructions (Which Tab, Which Module, Which Value, New Value for full tank etc.). Tried stepping through the obvious ones but didn't see any that had "19" as the current value (the reported level in my tank).
Been sorta struggling with this for a while (low level alarm coming on in short miles) but have always been able to top of the tank, see the alarm clear and drive on.

I recall the very first time I filled the tank (10K after last AudiCare service) and it took 5+ gals to fill, I remember because I only bought 1 2 1/2 gal jug and needed to run and get 2 more, After reading multiple threads that seemed right. Problem was the AdBlue warning came on in about 1500 miles, I topped off the tank and had to repeat that approach for a while, until I found the Key-on for 30+ secs info in a thread. That seemed to work (until last night). After the last top-off of AdBlue and Key-on reset, car ran about 5K before AdBlue alarm. Last night repeated the fill procedure but the alarm didn't clear (like it had in the past).

For me this is more about understanding what is going on than avoiding a shop (We have a local shop with all the bells and whistles that doesn't charge and arm and a leg). Sorry for the long post and any help is appreciated.