05 Jetta won't start after oil and fuel filter change

Gumbelina

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 2005 Jetta Variant
Help! I changed the oil and oil filter, and also the fuel filter on my '05 PD Jetta variant today; afterward it started fine, I pulled it down the driveway, and then it died (after running for probably 5 seconds). After that it turned over but it wouldn't start. I realized I hadn't primed the fuel filter, so I pulled the t-fitting out, primed it, still wouldn't start.

I did notice that the O-rings that came with the (Meyle) fuel filter were both black, previous ones came with one black and one light blue, would this possibly be causing an issue? I pulled the mickey mouse clip off and looked at the O-rings, it doesn't appear that they are being pinched, and the t-fitting goes back into the top of the fuel filter smoothly.

I pulled the #2 hose off the filter and turned the key to the first position; hubby confirmed that fuel squirted out of the filter tee. Am I correct in assuming that would rule out problems with the filter and also with the fuel lift pump?

What else do I need to check? I just hit 100,000 miles and have a timing belt change scheduled w/JetAAH on Thursday, but I'm worried that I will end up having to get my baby towed to him for repairs if I can't figure this out :(

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Air in lines

You still have air in your fuel line from filter to tandem fuel pump to injectors. Cycle key on & off 10- 20 times and then try starting, then do again. You will eventually get air out of system. Next time fill fuel filter with diesel.

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
I agree with 2004starwarstdi saying, fill the fuel filter....It works better than cycling with your ignition key to prime. If you have filled the filter properly, your engine will crank and not quit. I clamp the lines off at the fuel filter in order to keep air from getting into the lines.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Check your intake flapper valve and ensure it is not stuck shut.

I would have pulled the line that comes out of the center of the fuel filter out, to check for flow through the fuel filter to the engine. If fuel squirts out when you cycle the key then the filter and pump are good.

When you try to start your car with no fuel, the controls ramp up the fuel delivery to the absolute max, and play with injection time in an attempt to keep it running. The ECU remembers this for subsequent start attempts, and it makes it hard to start. You might try resetting the ECU if you have access to VCDS. Reset to factory settings tutorial by MOGolf

Are you sure you are reaching 200 rpm during cranking? Has your battery lost some charge and slowed down? No fuel will be admitted until after you reach 200 rpm.

Can you smell fuel in your exhaust as you try to crank it?