MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Also, if you're looking for a good way to spend your VW goodwill dealer card, and you want to get tuned, let me know :)
Heh, nice sentiment.
"sorry about that whole emissions thing, here's some money to get your engine running as it should, with none of that garbage" :D

Ram Man 02

TDI
02 Dodge CTD

brokaw101

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual tran 234k
02 Jetta TDI - sell private or trade in

I'm considering selling my 02 Jetta TDI with just over 200k miles.

Should I sell privately or trade it in? And what is the private sale value after the VW diesel debacle?

It has the typical front fender rust on the drivers side but otherwise rust free and leaks a smidge of oil. It has newer tires, new timing belt, new alternator, and an injector pump was put in two years ago. It is an auto to manual conversion car that was done in 2012.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
sell it privately, dealer will give you trade in value based off a 2.0 gasoline car (nothing)
If you've got all the reciepts and it's the correct ratio trans, it's worth a couple thousand, maybe more.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
My 02 has close to 300,000 and if I had the cash I would buy it in a heart beat.

This weekend is back at my suspension. The Indianapolis the roads destroyed my other lower control arm after a year and now the other one is causing the suspension to shift and it took out the strut bushing. Just so nice to have a big garage.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hey packers fans I won a $500 gift card from the wisconsin lottery second chance packers scratch tickets.. It's 500 to the pro shop.. Well I don't really care for football much more of a hockey guy and soccer lover.. Trying to figure out how to get rid of it

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
300k mark

Well it has taken over 14 years but I finally rolled her over 300k on the way to work yesterday.:D Never would have thought I would still enjoy driving her for this long.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Canast,

I'm only 40K behind you, remember we can only get 624K miles on our odometer's.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Looking for local help.

I posted this in performance forum also, but thought some locals might be able to help me out better.

I had a problem for a while now that my mileage has dropped down to about 36-38 MPG highway 32-34 city. I've noticed that I get puff of white smoke at start up and I'm hard pressed to to get the EGT's above 800-1000F summer or winter driving. I use to be able to get 1000-1400F when I really hammered on it.

I read this post below and saw that Migbro replaced his injector and things improved. Has anyone else had this expierience?

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=340036

Some additional info: I put PP520 nozzles in (uncalibrated) about 75-100K miles ago, I've got RC2 tuning, I replaced the T-stat due to low coolant temps (no change in MPG's or EGT's). I will be replacing the coolant temp sensor soon (I have it on hand) due to random alarm. I will be getting a compression tester soon to verify if its good. Recently replaced the glow plug harness, kept getting codes. Codes stopped after replacement. I need to replace the timing belt, this one has close to 100K on it but timing looks stable as found with Vagcom.

I wonder if there is another member locally (St Paul MN) that might be able to meet up and help verifiy that I am getting white smoke and not blue(bad valve seals or rings)? It's tough though because it only does it on a cold start up. The car would have to cool down for several hours after meet up. Maybe there is a GTG coming up I could attend?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
remember we can only get 624K miles on our odometer's.
Really? I know my ford's rolls over to 300k at 400k miles.

On a somewhat related note, I finally figured out why my golf is so painful to drive, the steering wheel is too far forward. Scoot the seat forward enough to make my arms comfortable and my knees are inside the dash. Just get this horrible left forearm pain after I drive a few hours at a time...

Working on making an extended spacer to take the place of the adapter that currently is between the steering wheel and shaft. After drilling the nozzles. After finishing the belt sander. After making the new drawbar for the mill. :rolleyes:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
[486]It's a Metric thing...

624,000 miles equals (Dr. Evil Voice) One MILLLLLLION Kilometers.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I finally figured out why my golf is so painful to drive, the steering wheel is too far forward. Scoot the seat forward enough to make my arms comfortable and my knees are inside the dash. Just get this horrible left forearm pain after I drive a few hours at a time..
I assume you've already tried adjusting the steering wheel lower and back?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I assume you've already tried adjusting the steering wheel lower and back?
Do these have an extendo-column option? I thought mine was just a tilt column with no in/out, but I don't think I've ever tried pulling on the wheel with the tilt lever unlocked.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
WOW!
I just went out and yanked on it with the lever down and it came out to a much more reasonable position!

All the crap I've done to the thing... The biggest complaint I had about the car was how uncomfortable it was. Woooooow. hahahaha
You guys are the best!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
292,000 miles and I think my engine is getting neurotic. So I have had a vibration issue that I found when I put my metal skid plate on 2 years ago. So I change all three motor mounts; no change. So now back in MN I hit something on the road at night (didn't see it) and the engine got louder and seemed to vibrate more.

Then it went back to the vibration of 2 years ago + now when I start the engine in the morning and afternoon it smokes unburned fuel (white smoke) and runs like crap until the engine is starting to get warm. Once warm it is happy as a clam and screams along nicely. Injectors? Glow Plugs?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the white smoke is just cold pistons. It'll go away again when it is 70 deg at night.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the white smoke is just cold pistons. It'll go away again when it is 70 deg at night.
Yeah but this is not a little white smoke this is so much white smoke that the engine is stumbling along. Ordered Race 520 Stage 2 last night. ECM coming out and going to Jeff for RC 4.5. I have a spare Stock ECM that I will drive while waiting for the tune and Injectors to arrive.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yeah but this is not a little white smoke this is so much white smoke that the engine is stumbling along. Ordered Race 520 Stage 2 last night. ECM coming out and going to Jeff for RC 4.5. I have a spare Stock ECM that I will drive while waiting for the tune and Injectors to arrive.
Well if you find out..

(mine does it too)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well if you find out..
(mine does it too)
How many miles on your injectors? Pete Barenko aka Drivbiwire and I discussed it and he basically said yup the slowly degraded and then just puke. I have my stock ECM in now and have sent the RCC4 one to Jeff. So in under two weeks I will know if my smoke problem is eliminated