Cool start problems

ChadS

TDI
2001, Golf, Silver
Hi Gang,

My wife has a 2001 TDI Golf automatic that is driving us crazy. It has 76k miles on it now and ever since the timing belt was changed at around 55k miles it has been difficult to start on a cool North Carolina morning (around 60 degrees F). We have had it back to the dealership twice and both times the timing has been "within range". The engine seems to turn over slower than my Dad's TDI Jetta 5sp but the tech's have load-tested the starter and I have cleaned all of the engine/chasis grounds that I can find...no improvement. After the first start of the day the car starts easily. The glow plugs are working when the temps are colder and the car will actually start better at 32 degrees than it will at 60 degrees.

I still suspect the timing - is there static and dynamic timing on these engines and are both set using the scan tool? I see a procedure in the Bentley manual but the TDI is a little different than our other diesels (pickup/tractor)....I am thinking that the static timing may be retarded slightly after reading some other posts, am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Chad

TDITN

TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I'm rally not the one to respond to your question, but since I'm having some hard starts myself on an '01, I'll point you in some directions.

1) TDI's need a good spin at start so it could be a weak battery. (You said it's not as strong as someone else's)

2) Could be getting air leak. That's what I suspect is wrong with mine.

3) Since this is occuring after timing belt change, I suspect your mechanical timing is not advanced enough.

Look at this thread and take a look at the comments by Drivebywire and Davidbru.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...o=7&fpart=1

Do a search under "hard sarts cold".

This should give you something to do until the experts can chime in....they usually don't participate on weekends.

davidbru

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Timing is very critical for your diesel to start. Your timing should be set to the "upper" 1/3 of the range for optimum performance. just getting it "in range" will always cause problems.

demox

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2000
Try cleaning the fist and second fuse on top of the battery,
glow plug related.... then when you start do not wait for
glow plug..... just start immediately... it works for me.
Remember you need at least 12.50 volts for your first start,
check with a digital VOM in the cigartte lighter rec...red prong goes to the bottom ..black one goes on the side.

ChadS

TDI
2001, Golf, Silver
Thanks for the ideas - I checked the glowplugs and sure enough one showed a significant difference in resistance. I've got a new set on the way. It also looks like the timing is too retarded....

Regarding cranking speed: the battery is new but still it really drags getting over the compression stroke - anyone else with an automatic see the same thing? The dealer feels that this is the result of the extra drag from the torque converter but my diesel pickup with an auto cranks just as fast as one with a 5sp......

Thanks,
Chad

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Regarding the battery - can you swap them to see if someone else's does better? It's not normal for a "drag" in starting any TDI I've seen. New battery is not always good battery.