Pricing of 13-14 jetta sportwagen tdi after fix ?

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
Has anyone bought one of the newly released 13-14's? I am trying to see what kind of wiggle room the dealers have. I've been waiting to see where the prices are headed over the last month, and would like to see where they might go in the next month or so. Lots are starting to show up, and it doesn't look like they are moving fast.
thanks

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I’m in the same boat as you and I agree that they don’t appear to be moving. There is one that I like that I’ve been watching and it’s sat for at least a month and the price has dropped by $2500. But I think it’s still too high. I think these cars are not as desirable as the NOS 2015’s that went quickly. Plus they don’t have as good incentives or warranty.

Speaking of which I don’t normally care too much about warranties but I’m hoping to get a CPO if I buy one of these. The fact that they sat out in a giant lot for months on end makes me nervous. I’d rather be protected f something pops up.

I’ve seen lots of older cars 2011’s and 12’s listed for sale also. They are priced even worse. I’m hoping for a 2014.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like they are just starting to be sitting long enough on the lots, some on car gurus are approaching the 40-45 days and starting to drop in price. would like a lower millage, but will look at the 50-80K range. Not in a hurry, but don't want to rack up to many on my current vehicle. :) Have to get one in the right $ range, and go right from the dealer to the delete tuner.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
It would seem they have plenty of wiggle room. I offered $2000 less than asking price on one that I was interested in, and they accepted, but I passed as it turns out the car was an automatic and not a manual as they had stated. This was on one of the supposedly great deals on car gurus...

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I bought not a JSW but a jetta 6MT tdi pre fix from indie dealer for 9K cash. Waiting back from VW on my restitution =]

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought not a JSW but a jetta 6MT tdi pre fix from indie dealer for 9K cash. Waiting back from VW on my restitution =]
Pre-fix doesn't really apply. But it sounds like you stole it. What are you going to be into it for out of pocket? Like $4k?

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
I'm a dealer/broker. Anyone really serious about buying one. PM me what you want (year, model, trim, color,trans, price /mileage range) please include your location and distance your willing to drive.

I'm selling these between $5k and $9k for the most part. Listed in the for sale section

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got a line on a 2014 base model JSW with 6MT about 40k on the clock. $16300 out the door (no tax in NH so this is basically sale price plus temp tags). Its CPO. I'm on the fence. It seems like a decent deal, but not great considering 4 yr old car that stickered at about $26k new. But I do like the colors and its close by. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I haven't seen it in person yet and of course there is another storm coming so probably won't make it for a couple days.

Thoughts on the deal compared to what others are seeing?

There was a similar car that I wanted to look at that sold over the weekend. Same specs and CPO and they were asking $16,600 last I saw before the listing came down.

Its interesting that the 2015's actually seem to be priced quite a bit better which is odd to me. I was looking for MK6 vs. Mk7 because of the simpler emissions and what I perceive to be a slightly higher quality interior. I like the MK7 exterior better. The emissions complications are probably offset by the crazy long warranty. The other major problem with the 2015's is that the manuals seem quite a bit more rare. While the DSG is good for an auto I just can't bring myself to do it. Just too blah to drive since I don't have any traffic to deal with. There is a super clean 2015 GSW S on CL near me for $17.5k with only 13k and tons of warranty left. Seems like a nice deal, but DSG.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
Prices seem to be falling once they hit the 35-45 day mark. We have a number within 100 miles that are approaching that point. I want to see what happens. There are a couple in the 16-19K range, 2013/2014's, also one close by, 2014 with 64K on it, just waiting for my buddy that is a salesman at one of that dealers sister stores, he should know more for me this week.

I like the looks of the 15 better on the outside, but do not like the complexity of the 15's motor. (oil pump/water pumps, ect....) To many un-knows for wanting to keep the car for high millage use.

TDI
2014 jsw
I bought a 2014 here in AZ for 25k out the door(taxes in AZ are ridiculous) with under 100 miles on it, last month. Old stock, black with the white leather interior and pano roof etc etc I am the first owner.

They have another one but black on black in their storage that also has less than 200 miles on it.

They didn't sell them and put them in storage and have been sitting back there for 5 years. They took care of mine pretty well and gave me the 10 year fix warranty along with the manufacturer 5 year full bumper to bumper warranty, along with the extended warranty(I believe it is 3 years).

Last edited:

hause

TDI
golfs/passats 15's with 60k on the clock are selling wholsale for around 13.5k. Wagons are maybe bringing a little more. Jettas less, seen em as low as 10. Tdi's across the board are cheap right now. 15's are down 35% over the last 9 months. There isn't many 14's available wholesale yet that I have seen but once they are they should be cheap if you time it right. Do the 15's not have a 10 year 160k+ warranty?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
golfs/passats 15's with 60k on the clock are selling wholsale for around 13.5k. Wagons are maybe bringing a little more. Jettas less, seen em as low as 10. Tdi's across the board are cheap right now. 15's are down 35% over the last 9 months. There isn't many 14's available wholesale yet that I have seen but once they are they should be cheap if you time it right. Do the 15's not have a 10 year 160k+ warranty?
Thanks for this information. I drove the 2014 CPO JSW yesterday. It was nice, but I just couldn't pull the trigger at over $16k. It had new tires and brakes. It drove nice (though it used to feel faster when I was used to a MK4 TDI as opposed to the MK6 GTI I drive now!). It was about what I remembered from our 2011. Though the engine was a bit rougher and had a coarser feeling than I remembered. The clutch was a bit heavy also, though I got used to that by the end of the test drive.

But its a 4-year old car. Its a diesel station wagon with a manual transmission. I just don't think there is much market for this car. When you get get a GSW TSI that is rated to 35 MPG highway, I think the demand for the TDI's shrinks down mostly to enthusiasts.

The other problem is that while I love the diesel, my commute doesn't require it. I drive only about 8 miles to work and wonder if I'd do much better than 30 mpg on that commute. Though I do swap cars with my wife occasionally and she goes out and puts 150 miles on it at a whack.

So I'm still on the fence at this point waiting for a great deal to push me off.

Can anyone clarify the warranty situation on the 2014 and older 2.0 TDI's for me? Is it a 4yr/48k mile emissions warranty (from fix)? Plus did these get a 10yr/120k on the HPFP?

hause

TDI
Historically the manual wagon has had the highest resale across all variants. I'd expect the prices to continue to drop

rjharp

TDI
2010 jsw 82,500 2014 jsw 21,000
2014 "fixed" purchase

I was hoping to hold on to my 2010 JSW MT, no sunroof, until the bitter end, plan was to upgrade to a "fixed" 2014 then, as I have a lot of accessories beholden to the mk6 (westfalia hitch, bike rack, etc).
Found a 2014 JSW MT, no sunroof, 21,000 miles, pristine single owner at a dealership. Early February, 2018. Paid 17,400. It is the car I wanted to replace the car I didn't want to replace, not sure if I would find one this pristine again.
2010 went back to VW two weeks ago.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
Good info. I had a line on a 2014 with 19,200 for $16000, didn’t act soon enough. Looking at a couple in the 42k range. There are a couple of 2014 with dsg, pano roof, and the 17” rims that went for $13,500 ish last week off of car gurus. The 14’s are actually valued less than the 13’s once they hit about 50k based on the “black book”. Values for identical cars. Not sure why. There are some 13’s in the 70k range near by with dsg, Panno root and 17” in the 13,7 range.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the demand for the TDI's shrinks down mostly to enthusiasts.
That's where it was before the "clean diesels" :rolleyes: were released. TDIs were a small niche market. Keep in mind they only sold 1,200 '96 and '97 Passat Wagons in the US. Part of why those cars sold for high prices for so long was because they were hard to come by. Now the same is happening with clean MKIV Wagons. There are multiple threads here started by people looking for them.

I think the bought back cars will sell, but it will take a while. I looked on autotrader today and there were even a dozen or so manual transmission Passats for sale, including a couple of 2013s.

It's possible that JSWs will become the next B4V or Jetta Wagon. Especially ones with manual transmissions.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I've put down a deposit on a car. Its the one that I referenced above. 2014 CPO, grey on black, manual with 43k on the clock. I got them down to $15,800. I think its a decent price and its the color I wanted and its at my local dealer. They originally listed this car for sale about 40 days ago for $19,600 so I'm going to pretend that I got a $3800 discount even though it was overpriced! It was down to $17,800 before I bothered asking about it. Brand new tires and brakes.

I thought hard about the 2015 models because I like the exterior styling and the improved performance and mileage, but there are only 10 manual GSW's within 500 miles of me. None are closer than 200 miles. Plus we loved our JSW and I prefer the seats (plus the heat), the interior, and the lack of DEF plus IRS.

I worried that values will drop a bit over the next year as VW sells more of these cars, but I was set on getting a manual and wanted a newer year of 2013 or 2014 and there just can't be THAT many of those cars out there. When looking at used cars the pricing on the 2011's and 2012's really wasn't that much better than the 2014's so hopefully the depreciation will be gentle. I think my family will hold onto this car for the long haul and so I'm glad to have found a clean one.

I'll have a pretty mint 2012 GTI 4dr Autobahn listed for sale soon.

Last edited:

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you made a good choice. I work with a TDI guru, local tuner, timing belt guy, and he is one of our Diesel Tech's at work. We talked about the 15's, and there is just so much more complexity on the 15's, 3 electrical water pumps, the oil pump is driven by a belt, just to many things that are unknown for long term use IMHO.

The one dealer I was talking with was saying the manuals are rare, so they are not budging on price, but then they do have 6+ 14' wagons that have been on there lot for 50+ days, some are over the 75 day mark as well. still no budging.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
This is a good post. I'm pondering these very things. So, if you buy a "NEW" '15, you get 10+5 years of warranty AND there's still money that will kickback? Or am I missunderstanding that? I'd kinda be cool with a '13-'14 wagon, but honestly I'd like a Malone tune maybe engine and DSG both. I drive 45K miles a year and MPG and drive quality is fairly important. I'm gonna go start test driving this weekend. Not in a hurry to buy, especially if prices are inclined to drop soon.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
If you drive 45k miles/year, you'll get about 3 1/2 years warranty out of the 160k miles.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Warranty "value"

Yeah, approx. that on the warranty. The ones I'm seeing around here in Oregon are between 20-50K miles at the moment.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
I’d stay with the 12-14, an 11 should be ok also, from what I can see from the black book and nada guides, there should only be about a $425-450 difference between a 13 and 14. Only difference I can see is that the 14 has back up camera, and a rear led license plate light. Might be a couple other things, but that is about all I know.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it seems like those are the most available years too
I think that's just because VW is releasing the better condition, higher value cars first. I obviously don't know their criteria. I've seen a fair amount of 2011 cars listed. I don't know if I've seen any 2010 buybacks listed for sale. I definitely haven't seen any 2009's.

I think that for all intents and purposes (other than the already mentioned backup camera on the 2014) the 2011 through 2014 cars are basically identical.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
VWOA is offering 1.99% credit on CPO vehicles in April!

My dealer didn't know about this and didn't promote it. I found it on the web. Then when I applied they came back with the "great news" that I had qualified for 2.99% which was only a few dollars more than 1.99%. I know how to calculate interest payments thank you very much. I challenged them to explain exactly what prevented me from qualifying for the promotional rate and they came back telling me that they were able to get me the 1.99%.

I wasn't expecting that and I'm pretty happy. I had been considering paying cash, but this is the cheapest debt I have right now. This offer runs through April and the only exclusion I saw was for 3.0 TDI's. To me this would be another reason to seek out a CPO car and find it by and close the deal by the end of this month.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Does anyone know what the actual fuel mileage is on a 13 jsw 6speed tdi manual ? There is one at a dealer im looking at , there asking price is 15,900. I have a 03 alh wagon 5 speed and get 45mpg in town all the time . My company reimburse me on fuel and use of car but they are saying i need to be 10 yrs or newer to be in compliance now . Will these get any were close on mileage ? thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Realistically, you'll probably see high 30s in the JSW. Maybe you'll crack 40, depending on your driving syle. The car is significantly heavier and more powerful than your ALH, and the emissions hardware take a toll on FE.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Big difference ! well i might have to sell my 03 and buy a newer one can the 13's be modified to get better mpg 's ? deletes and so on ? thanks