Low budget manual 5-speed swap.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Chris don't know the last name but he is a member here. He is in Kitchener. 1 519-503-1926

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please note that its the left/driver side transmission mount that you need from a manual Pasaat.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey Imo...

in regards to the sub frame, was the stock b5.5 auto sub frame removed and swapped with another one?

I've found a transmission on ebay.co.uk for a reasonable price, just trying to get the balls to order everything now haha :)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you use the driver side transmission mount from a V6 manual gasser than the subframe does not need to be changed. That's what many, including I, did. Just get a TDI transmission and all the other parts are available on from different model Audi/VWs that were sold here. The transmission is the most important part.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
If you use the driver side transmission mount from a V6 manual gasser than the subframe does not need to be changed. That's what many, including I, did. Just get a TDI transmission and all the other parts are available on from different model Audi/VWs that were sold here. The transmission is the most important part.

Thanks! I am working on sourcing the FHN as we speak.
Starting to slowly piece everything together :)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Imo000 or anybody else that has done this 5-speed FHN swap...

Is there a difference between a b5.5 2.0 tdi automatic and manual crank? I realize that for the 6-speed swap there is a needle bearing (IIRC) that needs to be used.

What about the FHN swap? is this an issue?

Reason for my concern is I was reading a b5 auto to manual swap thread and the thread creator needed to shave the crank slightly for everything to work.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
The auto crank is shorter than the manual crank. The regular needle bearing for a 1.8T will work fine if you don't drive it all the way into the crank. Just leave it flush with the end of the flywheel pilot and it will work fine.

That thread you were reading pictures some savage grinding down the entire flywheel pilot of an auto crank so that he can stick a large ball bearing inside the flywheel to act as a pilot bearing. This method is not a good one...

Thank you QuickTD.

I am guessing both of your B5.5's are FHN type transmissions? How long have you had it in? Did you do the 1.8T mix-match combo or did you have all the euro manual parts shipped over?

I'll be going with IMO's method and parts list, just trying to understand as much as I can :)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
QuickTDI did my ECU flash, he is a vendor for TdTunning and sice he is near Grand Band is pretty close to you. He is a very straight up person too. No drama or excuses after excuses.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
QuickTDI did my ECU flash, he is a vendor for TdTunning and sice he is near Grand Band is pretty close to you. He is a very straight up person too. No drama or excuses after excuses.

Thank you Imo000 :)

If you are ever in woodstock again or around this area, let me know. I'd like chat about your car/swap a bit more if possible and see the car again.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
"- Right transmission mount and wiring connector for reverse light from a manual V6 Passat"
The right transmission mount from ANY b5 manual transmission Passat can be used. The LEFT transmission mount MUST be from a V6 Passat in order to fit a B5.5 TDI originally equipped with an auto trans.

Does the mount have to be from a manual or automatic V6 Passat for the left transmission mount to work?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks! The reason I was asking is I'm planning on ordering whatever I can in the meantime from the power of my desk.

I've looked for images of what a left manual v6 transmission mount looks like.

I came across RockAuto, showing images of the manual transmission mount.:
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,car...71cc_V6_FI_A_AHA_DOHC_Transmission_Mount.html

I then located this image, which looks to be an automatic transmission, with a similar mount...so that I why I was asking as they both look the same. I do realize looks can be deceiving also.

I can't seem to find a part number for the correct mount so I can locate it and order it.

I'll call VW and ask them for the part number in a bit.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
It isn't the rubber isolator itself that you need, it is the big cast aluminum piece that bolts to the side of the transmission and sits on top of the rubber mount. You will need both sides, the right is common to all 5 speed transmissions but the left side is only used on the V6. I can post an etka screenshot when I get home.

That is clear now. So I need the transmission mount bracket (Left/Right) and not technically the mount.

This is starting to get a bit more clear. I've never performed a auto-manual change so I want to get everything laid out so that I am not scrambling when I have the car taken apart.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'll be scrambling even if all is perfectly planned out! :) But don't worry, it will all work out at the end. If my memory is right, the transmission bracket on the passanger side of the automatic transmission is the same as the one on the TDI or V6 manual transmission and you can re use it when you are doing the swap.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Could I just get an ecu from a manual pd130 in Europe to fore go the tune? Also I can't seem to get a definitive answer for myself is auto subframe reuse able for a 5 speed swap?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Silly question but I can't seem to find the answer in the thread.

For the FHN transmission, what starter is used? 1.8T starter? The Passat automatic probably won't work so what did you guys install?

ShaneShelley234

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 5 speed manual (DVZ)
If I have a donor car of 2004 VW Passat 2.8L V6 with 5 speed transmission. and I do not car about the added RPM's at 70 MPH is there anything I cannot get from this car to do a manual swap into my 2005 2.0 TDI Wagon?? I am hearing that I may need a clutch set from a 1.8T. What about a fly wheel?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When we PM'd, by clutch set I meant everything, including the flywheel.

ShaneShelley234

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 5 speed manual (DVZ)
Thanks IMO, I didn't mean any disrespect. You also said, "post in the group to make sure". I am trying to get as many ducks in a row as I can. I know it is going to be a one stop deal. I have sieved this auto and am trying to get everything I need off it in one shot as it if at scrap yard and I do not know if it will be there if I need to go back. Thanks to this group for the great info it provides on these cars as well as putting up with us nubies!