RUNAWAY AHU. no harm done, FOR ONCE gt2052 failure

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Had a runaway. Cause, too may hard pulls exceeding 1600*F. before the turno had NO play GT2052wg. Now there is a bit of play. I limped it home by taking the IC pipe off where i could on the side of the raod after getting it stalled out in 4th. Pumped about 1 quart out of the crank over about 1 mile of idle rpm to get it home. I aint paying no tow home seeing as i was this close.
This turbo has about 20K miles on it. Checked compression, and a leak down test. everyting checks out. turbo is screwed.
Maybe ill get a new turbo or have this one rebuilt.
Some of you know already i plan on doing a engine build 400+ with NOS and W/M and plan on doing a swap with it into a 88' porsche 944. Maybe that will happen a bit sooner than i planed!
Anyone got recommendations as to who would rebuild this 2052 for me? Maybe ill just upgrade to another turbo with a proper manifold! Who know, but check out this carnage.
Here is a link to the picture. It exceeds file limit on the server hosting.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30709226_565064060559174_2030329056267862016_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFDe6-r8GEVf015z5Es00g3-pU-DnLz7nv_SEMT6dBWS-8ZbYgq56x18i5o-tCVWQ2dkpPa1curTeje1bvhsXPl1UxmFSyQTWjtrzxGoCrogA&oh=02cdd1d3b1d7cc4a59071a5a1ae3d4f5&oe=5B68A2A5

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
been there, done that... lol. i had a runaway and was too young and dumb to know how bad it was so i drove it like 15 miles to my dads shop. smoooooking the whole way. dumped 3 quarts in it half way there and continued on.

did a compression test, passed, swap a used turbo on and away i go. only to have the oil in the exhaust catch on fire. cut off the exhaust and used that engine for another 70k before retiring it. still runs but body was beyond saving.

anyway, my plan (if i were single and not broke AF) would be to swap on a small frame holset and ebay 8v t25 manifold for like $800 total and motor on.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have never actually rebuilt a turbo before
I see $40 rebuild kits online for this turbo. ANy suggestions as to what is not a pile of crap parts to buy? ill know more tomorrow, when i pull the head and turbo to inspect

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so all that oil you have over engine bay, if from you disconnecting the intake runner there? thats a lot of oil from there, for 1mile@idle rpm.
so the intake side of the turbo failed? dumping oil down intake side? if so the exhaust side would probably have failed as well, like ketchup had the experience the oil pooled up in exh. side will catch fire, if not cleaned out.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so all that oil you have over engine bay, if from you disconnecting the intake runner there? thats a lot of oil from there, for 1mile@idle rpm.
so the intake side of the turbo failed? dumping oil down intake side? if so the exhaust side would probably have failed as well, like ketchup had the experience the oil pooled up in exh. side will catch fire, if not cleaned out.
Yesi took it off to keep it from running away again to limp it home. just made a huge mess. no big deal. i was willing to risk it.
well its a trait pipe form the turbo so it can shoot flames for all i care might be cool!