VW Passat VS Audi A4 VS Audi A6 (all wagons/estates)

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
Hi guys, i'm trying to get some opinions on the above.

I own a 2001 passat wagon which i'm still debating on selling. I rather like the Audi A4 and A6 wagons and trying to figure which one is based on the Passat platform and which one will feel better in terms of quality, drive and interior features/look.

I've read the A4 Wagon is smaller than the passat (but based on the passat platform?), no central arm rest, all red glow dash instead of blue and red, no coffee cup holders, less leg room in the back, but sportier than the Passat.

I've read the A6 Wagon is slighter bigger than the passat (not sure what platform its based on), all red glow dash instead of blue and red, more leg room in the back, more luxurious interior, not sure how drive compares.

I'd be considering the 1.9 TDI 130 bhp engine in all cases.

All around 2001-2002 models heres how the exterior compares

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
From what I can remember and figure out. The Passat shown is on the Volkswagen B5 platform. The Audi A4 is on the VW B6 platform (the next generation after the Passat that you have). The Audi is on the VW C5 platform. So technically none of them are on the same chassis.

The Passat of that generation has a couple of pretty serious problems, at least they do in US spec. 1) the balance shaft failure issue, which is ~$3k fix. Altho I'm not sure if the Euro 130 hp 1.9 has this issue. We have the 2.0 engine. 2) The front suspension needs to be totally re-built around 130k miles, though its a lot less expensive repair.

If you're looking for comfort and room the Audi A6 is probably your best bet.