one owner 2001 Golf GLS TDI for sale - $3900 obo

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Update... This car is SOLD!

Hello everyone!

The time has come to sell my beloved Golf. I recently purchased a 2015 Golf TDI, so my old one has to go on to a new owner. I hate to get rid of it, as it's been awesome, but I guess it's time. The car is located in Orlando, FL.

I purchased this car new in February, 2001 in Fort Collins, Colorado, and it's been with me all over the country. It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's currently sitting at 393K miles, and runs like a watch. It's bone stock.

The car is tornado red with black velour cloth. It was repainted in 2015 as the clear coat had decided to give up. The roof needs a buff, but the paint is still in great shape.

The interior is also in decent condition. I just replaced the headliner last month. The cloth is pulling away from the door cards, and the handle on the glove box finally bit the dust a couple of months ago (I really babied it, but they don't last forever!).

This car is an absolute gem. I've taken as good of care of it as is possible. Anything that breaks gets replaced immediately. Maintenance is paramount. All timing belts were done on schedule except for the last one which was done 10K miles early at 370K miles. All oil changes were done every 10K miles with Shell Rotella T 5w40 and VW oil filters.

The good:
- The car is in incredible shape for being 18 years old. Most people don't believe me when I tell them how old it is or the mileage. I've always believed in keeping dirt off of it. It shows.
- Timing belt at 370K miles. If I had kept the car, I would do the next one at 450K.
- tires are about a year old and in great shape.
- I replaced the headliner. There are a few wrinkles (it's HARD to install one of these perfectly!), but after driving it for awhile I was really thankful to not have cloth billowing around me.
- sunroof still works perfectly.
- I used the stock stereo until last August when I finally replaced it with a Pioneer head unit with CarPlay. In fact, I'll really miss this feature. Someone's going to love this.
- The car runs *perfectly*. I would drive this thing across the country without batting an eye. Seriously. It's that nice.
- Recently replaced the center console with a cupholder version from a later car (like... 3 weeks ago!).
- AC and Heater core have both been replaced.

The bad:
- driver's side heated seat doesn't work. I replaced the switch without a change. Whoever buys this will have to remove the lower seat cushion cloth and find the break in the heat pad and repair it. It was on my to-do, but I'm not going to get to it.
- Glove box door handle finally bit the dust.
- cloth on the doors is pulling off. It was something I was going to get to and didn't. it's not terrible, but it needs to be done someday.
- driver's window tint has a couple tears from a window regulator mishap.
- struts are starting to get a bit bouncy. I replaced the stock ones with Bilstien TCs awhile ago, but it's starting to get time to do them again. The strut mounts seem like they might be shot though.
- uhhh... that's it? Seriously, as far as I know, that's all that's wrong with the car.

This Golf isn't being sold because I had to get a new car. I didn't *need* to replace it, and frankly I feel like I'm cheating on it selling it. It's been in my life since 2001, and that's a long time to have one vehicle! I hope whoever gets it has as much fun and loves it as much as I do.

I'm asking $3900 obo on this car. I'd ask for more, but it does have high mileage which will deduct some of the value. If you want a mk4 VW Golf, this is really a great example of one. Don't let the mileage scare you off. It has tons of miles left in it!

I have a few pics. There will be more forthcoming:
My two Golfs:

The Golf (with my wife's Beetle)

This pic was taken 2 years ago, but the interior still looks the same (apart from the head unit and the glove box handle.

Love that ALH

with cover:

Thanks for the interest guys!

Last edited:

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Clean!

That looks incredibly clean! Sure looks like it has been maintained well.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! Yeah, I was really a maintenance fiend with this car. I drove my mk1 Rabbit in college, but I always wanted a modern Golf, so when I bought this one it became my pride and joy. It's been washed and detailed more times than I could ever count.

I'm going to be really sad to see it go. I wish I had the space to hang onto it, but oh well. :(

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
@IndigoBlueWagon: Yeah, this one was a gem. I'm definitely going to miss it for sure. It was my first new car. I wound up owning it for 18 years and 5 days.

@oilhammer: It was purchased by a member here. It's going to a good home! I'd have sold it to you if you'd piped up!

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I just got an ‘03 Jetta with a very similar history. ‘03 Jetta GL 5MT in Baltic green from the original owner who bought it new after graduating college. 269k, all service records. VG condition. Lowered on enkie springs and Bilstein yellow sport struts w/ 17” Long Beach wheels. Stock tune w/ PP357 nozzles. Timing belt and new brakes last year. Many new parts Replaced in the last 7 years including an OE transmission and clutch.
Needed a new CTS due to a coolant leak from the O-ring. Also needs tires. Overall a very nice car for $1500. Yes he only wanted $1500 !!! Seriously dubyateeeff ???

My mechanic did an inspection, replaced the CTS and coolant. $300 later I’m driving it! No other issues found.

https://imgur.com/a/97r1mfS

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bought IBW new in May of '02. Nearly 17 years and 381K later it's still the drive most. I've never owned a car this long or anywhere near this many miles. And I still enjoy it.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
@CleverUserName: Wow, $1500? That's a total bargain!

@IBW: I still really enjoyed my Golf. The main reason I upgraded is there are so many deals to be had on the mk7's. I basically just wanted a change. I owned the 2001 for 18 years and 5 days and 393K miles. I'd say I did pretty good! Enjoy driving your wagon! I suspect it'll serve you well for a good long while.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'll be interested in what you think of the MK7. Mine tends to sit in my garage and I drive my MKIVs. I like the car, but the IV is like an old shoe.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
The mk7 was the first Golf since the mk4 to make me sit up and notice. It was different enough to feel 'new', while still maintaining a lot of the characteristics that I like about the brand. So far, I'm enjoying it a ton. It's been getting 48-50mpg on my commute to work (we'll see how that goes over time). My only real complaint is it just doesn't have the range of the mk4. The smaller tank, plus not being able to do a ventectomy makes it so you can't get enough fuel to carry around.

I hear you about the old shoe. The mk4 was very comfortable. I'm going to miss it for sure. I really really liked it. But I really like this new one too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I owned a MKVI Golf, one of the many failed attempts to replace my Jetta Wagon. Didn't like it very much, to be honest. Like the MK7 much better.

Range is a bummer. I rarely get less than 700 miles per tank on my Jetta Wagon. It spoils you.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
@IBW: yeah, so far I’m getting around 400-500 miles on a tank in the mk7. I miss the range already!

@Oilhammer: I already know it won’t be as durable as the ALH was. I started calling it Chuck Norris. I figure it’ll still be running long after the world has ended. It is such a durable machine!