Buy A6 now or wait for A7?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
My A4 Golf just turned 10, so I' starting to shop for a new one. I'm leaning to a Golf or JSW, and thanks to MS and a bad hip, DSG. The A7 sounds awesome, and better in every way. But it's almost entirely a new car what with the new engine. So would I be better off to buy a tried and true A6 or the upcoming (and unproven) A7?

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Buy it now because the A6 is more mature now than the early A6.

I got the late A6 and loving it lot.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
I bought a 2013 JSW over the summer but honestly at this point, I would try and wait for the A7. The A6 may be mature at this point, but honestly the Intercooler Icing and HPFP issues are enough it may just warrant waiting.

The engine may be new for the A7 but really its just an evolution of the current design, where was the current CR TDI in the A6's was massively new. I don't expect you'll see many problems from it, at least not on the magnitude of potential failure like the CJAA engines.

The A7 will most likely have its growing problems, but I doubt they will amount to what still remains a reality for current model year A6 TDI's.

Plus you get the most up to date of everything, and the styling will be much fresher for longer

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Wait for the A7. The Passat with the CKRA is an improvement over the CBEA. I can only guess the next gen will improve even more. Intercooler issues are very real. Ive dealt with it. You live in Minn. It would most likely be a problem.

poweredbytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
The MK7 is new but already released in Europe in the Golf. The JSW is being released now. I rode in a MK7 Golf this summer in Germany. I prefer the MK7 over my current JSW and may trade up when it arrives.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
A7, but try to push it to the second model year. That's my plan, though I've got an early vintage 6 with DSG and no problems yet.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
Me, too. Second model year for the A7 will be about the time I usually get the new car bug and I'll be at 5/60 with my JSW.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
My choices in order-
A6 tdi
A7 1.4 tsi
A7 second year tdi

The new 1.4l gasser turbo will be very cost competitive and is not a first year engine.

At least wait a few months and see what's offered. Should be some killer deals on A6 left over models.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
This late in the game I'd wait for the A7's especially living where you do. I love my 2013 JSW manual TDI but I wish I could have waited. I would have if my niece hadn't cracked up her truck and needed my Matrix. No regrets so far. Compared to my previous vehicles the JSW is a luxury vehicle, but I would have save the money that I spent on an extended warrantee.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
You need to change the title!!

......??? I thought this string was about the coming TDI audi, A6 & A7 V6 TDI ???....

On that note of where I thought this string was heading, I would luv to have either.....

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Unless you can wait for year 2 I would go for the current model

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
A6 golf. First model years are a bit iffy. But that's just my thinking.

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
Any signs of the current vehicle needing replacement besides the age?

If I could do the wear and tear work myself and it's not too costly, and the foundation, body, interior, electronics, etc all do there job well, I'd just hang onto it.

A new machine does have warranty coverage. Not every model has the issues reported, many love and enjoy them so, nothing wrong with getting the mk6.

It's always nice to have the latest and greatest too.

I think the only answer is the one you decide. You already know the pros and cons posted and in your own mind.

Something is saying replace the current buggy. The question is, mk6 or km7.

I like to be the person that has the newest model on the road. Having a new vehicle that can be mistaken as something that is 3 or 4 years old, diminishes a bit of the premium you pay for a new vehicle. That is just me.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Part of your choice comes down to how soon you want the new car. If you're willing to wait, then I would opt for the MK7. Estimates I've seen on here put that mid to late spring for the Golf and a few months later for the wagen. The longer you wait to get a MK6, the better the deals might be but also the lower the inventory to choose from. Remember that VW stopped producing the MK6 Golf and wagen sometime this past summer to retool the plant.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
You need to change the title!!

......??? I thought this string was about the coming TDI audi, A6 & A7 V6 TDI ???....

On that note of where I thought this string was heading, I would luv to have either.....

Yeah me too! The Audi A7 TDI is a sweet ride, though, so on that note I'd vote A7 over A6.

For the purposes of MkVI vs MkVII Golf - while I think there are good cases for the MkVII, the new motor EA288 motor is...well, a new motor with a whole new set of..."challenges". It does appear that it will be more efficient and slightly more powerful, use AdBlue DEF. We won't really know about that motor until a few years in.

The existing 2.0L CBEA/CJAA has been out for 5 years now (2009-2014) and the big "issues" have largely been identified and in most cases dealt with.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
And here I thought we were talking about Audi A6s and A7s and you had all won the lottery. The "A" designation is pretty antiquated... Let's call them Mk6 and Mk7. ;)

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
Local VW salesman thinks "A6" and "A7" are Audis too...

I had to disappoint him that I was talking VWs with resultant smaller commission potential.

I'm thinking the time to decide will be around the first of the year- by then we'll know more about the A7s and after christmas is usually the best time to buy a car. Right now there's no need to rush- there's still plenty of A6s, even 2013 models, on the lots, and the $1000 incentive VW gives the dealers on 2013s isn't enough to motivate me.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
A Ford may be making the decision for me...

My spare car is a '98 Ford Ranger, and I live six miles from the nearest store in rural Minnesota, so having 2 reliable 4 wheelers is sort of a necessity. In the summer, I've got a bunch of motorcycles so 4 wheelers aren't important. I've got the box off the Ranger, trying to fix the rusted out brakes and fuel system that loses it's prime if parked for more than couple days. Also hoping to clean off some rust before I put the box back on. After wretching my back in the middle of this process, it's dragged out for a couple months and while the brakes now hold fluid and work, I can't find emergency brake cables that fit properly and Ford don't even list 'em. So I'm about ready to put the Ranger back together half fixed, as that looks to be the best it's gonna get. Given how bad it's rusted, I don't trust it to go further than that next town 6 miles away, so it's gonna have to be retired and my A4 Golf TDI will have to assume "backup" duties. So if I can find what I want in an A6 for at least 10% off of MSRP, I'll probably buy it instead of waiting.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
mk7 golfs will now be built in strictly in puebla mexico..iirc.
Which could be good for us, more features brought over to the North American model from Europe that might normally be stripped because of the cost of importing and exchange rate

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If you look the current models, I can't agree with your assumption. My Golf was made in Germany and my JSW was made in Mexico. Both have about the same equipment. The Jetta sedan is made in Mexico and has lower equipment.