700 Mile Club with My 2011 JSW (6MT)

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I don't normally drive with the goal of hitting a certain number of miles per tank, however, but my fuel economy hit a new high on this last tank, and at about the 500 mile mark, it became apparent to me that it might be possible to get into the fabled "700 Club".

Sure enough, I broke through the barrier this morning, getting 702 miles from the tank before filling up. This equated to a calculated FE of 48.3 MPG (see my Fuelly for details). MFD stood at 48.1 for the tank, and 56.0 for this morning's drive!

I don't think I will repeat this any time soon, as I got bored of going 60-65 on the highway, and driving with a very light foot the rest of the time. Also, I was a little concerned by the number of active DPF regens over the 702 miles. 3 at least, maybe 4. I usually drive closer to 2000 RPM, which I suppose is better for passive regens.

But it's pretty cool nontheless. And I still had a little fuel left according to the computer! ;)

pommeree

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon
A. Congrats! I'm taking the family to FL next month and am eager to see what a whole tank of freeway driving can give me. I've done a couple 600 Mi tanks but a 700 would be exciting!

Also. Newbie question: How can you tell that active DPF regens are occurring?
Thanks!

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
I'm still of the opinion that these behaviors have the potential to put undue stress on fuel pumps. I have no proof, just an idea that running the tank down to fumes probably isn't the best way to prolong the life of the engine.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
I am now starting to regularly hit 700 mile tanks and after reading your post I also have a question about regens. What is the difference between active and passive and how can you tell when they are occurring and how long they cycle? If someone could direct me to a thread I thank you in advance. I'll keep searching.

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I don't normally notice regens when I am driving the car at speed, but I do notice them when I park, turn off the engine, hear the fan roaring and smell the burnt plastic thing. That's what I noticed the 3 or 4 times during the life of the tank. I am guessing they were active regens, because in each case, I had been driving in the "city" for 10-15 minutes at slow speed.

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I'm still of the opinion that these behaviors have the potential to put undue stress on fuel pumps. I have no proof, just an idea that running the tank down to fumes probably isn't the best way to prolong the life of the engine.
Well, in any case I don't make this a habit. I usually fill up way earlier. My real interest is MPG, not miles per tank.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
Yes I notice the fans running occasionally when getting out of the car at night. Most of if not all of my driving is on country roads 55mph and my driving habits are for mpg. After reading about the passive and active regens I was if my driving habits are affecting my DPF and regen cycles.