case relief valve psi

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
So I saw a few posts on the case relief valve recently. Decided to take a look at mine.

It was in pieces, or at least all the "guts" were out of the valve.

I reasembled everything and the car ran wierd. It was really noisy and the timing peaked at 30 degrees even at only 2500rpm. I think the max timing should be 18 degrees? I only drove like this for about 1/4 mile before diesel started puking out the front of the car!

The seal at the top of the IP blew out. Luckily I was able to take the cover off and reasemble with no leaks.

I punched the valve without the guts to bring the center piece back flush with the top of the valve.

So;

After I reasemble the valve, how do I set it to the correct pressure? How do I test the pressure? What is the pressure for the valve? Is there a measurement for how far the center of the valve should be depressed when looking from the top? That's the only thing I can figure unless I can somehow test the pressure? Maybe resort to getting a new valve?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
That relief valve isn't a fixed pressure. It, and the restriction in the return banjo bolt, act together to give a somewhat-linear pressure gradient wrt rpms.

No-one has ever been able to tell me what the pressures for an electronic pump are, but if memory serves the older M- pumps are something like 120psi at full revs.
As this pressure is leaked-off by the n109 to fine-tune the timing I'm not sure just how critical it is, even.
n109 duty cycle is worth looking at, tho...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
EDC controlled VE injection pumps should peak at 10 bar at redline. The pressure can vary with pump rpm and injected fuel quantity.

The pressure can be adjusted by moving the internal slider and increasing spring tension. This would be of some benefit on engines run at high rpms for extended periods where air bubbles can form and reduce the high stage efficiency in terms of filling the compression chamber.

DB

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
When I took the valve out, the center was depressed quite a bit. Maybe too much to cause the guts to come out?

Then when I reasembled the guts the pressure was way too high causing the seal to fail?

Currently the valve is intact but the center is almost flush with the edge - but I haven't blown a seal yet.

I am wondering what the ideal setting is for that valve and perhaps now I have it too low?

This is a new pump from vw that I have had on the car for about 40k miles without issue.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
It sounds like your return line is clogged if you are puking this valve. Your pump timing is critical to the case pressure that controls it. If you saw 30 degrees advance, with proper case pressure, you should get vagcom and retard/correct your timing.

Clean or replace your thermostatic tee on the fuel filter. Or get an old TD fuel filter and straight nipple to eliminate the tee.

Jeff

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Interesting, Jeff. So how close to the optimum advance curve would/could one get based purely on case pressure and timing piston spring/shim? Is it possible to massively exceed requested advance at all levels of speed/load?

Or conversely, is case pressure sufficient to offer *some* advance even if the n109 is being driven towards zero advance?

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Is it possible to massively exceed requested advance at all levels of speed/load?
This is what happened to me with the valve reassembled. 30 degrees advance at light load and only 2500rpms!

Now the timing appears normal (17 degrees at full load, full rpm) with the valve reasembled but with the center almost flush with the edge.

The return line is clear - no obstructions.

What I'm trying to determine is how that valve should be set...how much pressure is the correct amount without blowing seals or messing up the timing.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
New ones are flush. That's wher I set ALLof them and I have yet to have a problem at that spot.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Thanks.

With mine flush, I am only getting 12 degrees of advance at the maximum.

So I took out the valve and punched it a tiny bit lower into the top of the body. Now I am getting 17 degrees advance at the max - sound about right?

The mechanical timing is at the top of the 3 line chart. adaptation is at 33000 as per jsrmonster which is about 2.5 degrees of advance at idle.

I'll assume the pump pressure does something to the timing ability of the pump?

Originally the center portion was well recessed from the top of the valve, but perhaps the guts were out so it didn't make a difference until I pulled the valve and unknowingly reasembled? Maybe a faulty valve (too far recessed) from the factory causing the guts to blow out the first time it was run?

Just thinking aloud at this point!

All seems well as far as I can tell with how I have it set now.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Anybody have a measurement for the depth of the center part of the valve (outside the IP)? Would be a big help in setting mine correctly.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I'm asking about the recessed center part depth where you put the 10mm wrench to remove - don't even have to remove from the car to get a quick measurement...