What boost/EGT gauges do you have and use?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
I figure that I obviously need only a 20 PSI boost gauge, and not sure what scale I would need on an EGT gauge.

What do you have? How much were they? Where could I get some inexpensive ones?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have a VDO boost gauge- 30psi and an AWE egt gauge. The AWE is a much nicer gauge and matches the instrument cluster perfectly. If I were to do it again, I think that I would spring for the AWE boost gauge. The VDO looks a little cheap, but does work just fine.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I recently got and am in the process of installing a set of Stewart Warner gauges. I opted for a boost (0-30 psi), an oil pressure, and an EGT gauge (0-1400*F). If you're looking for a one-stop-shop to purchase your gauge(s) I'd highly recommend 42 Draft Designs. You have a choice of a number of different gauge manufacturers and have complete boost gauge installation kits especially for our TDI's. Plus they also carry various mounting solutions from panel to A-pillar to steering column. Good people to deal with!

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, thanks for the suggestions guys!
Yeah, I'd really like something that won't look really horrid on my dash.

I didn't realize that there were oil temp and pressure gauges.

What are all the various gauges I can get and what information would they tell me?

I'm more interested in using them to diagnose and tell if there's a problem than for sexiness or going fast. I figure I'll want a boost gauge so I know how healthy the turbo is. Either an oil pressure or temp gauge so I can make sure I don't kill my engine. EGT does what again?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Exhaust Gas Temperature. Also known as a pyrometer. Makes sure that you're not cooking your turbo and exhaust. Our cars tend to run kinda high temperature-wise compared to a gasser, due to the higher combustion temp of diesel fuel. An EGT gauge is a handy thing, especially if you decide to add fuelling mods to your vehicle like injectors or a tuning box.

tledbetter

TDI
2003 GLS TDI Black
I have an 03 Jetta with 2 din size radio and side air bags. This eliminates the A-pillar or pannel mount gauges. I want a boost and EGT, has anyone seen any other options for mounting?

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Ed's TDI said:
Our cars tend to run kinda high temperature-wise compared to a gasser, due to the higher combustion temp of diesel fuel.
eh? I thought diesels ran a lot cooler - which is why our turbos aren't even cooled; they just have an oil line. My gas turbo truck has a fat coolant line in and out of the turbo along with the oil lines, and I've still managed to cook two of them - and that's with running only synthetic and idling it down to baby it

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
tledbetter said:
I have an 03 Jetta with 2 din size radio and side air bags. This eliminates the A-pillar or pannel mount gauges. I want a boost and EGT, has anyone seen any other options for mounting?
I have the same problem, it seems like the only place to put them is on the dash, which I don't like.

I've been thinking about removing my 2din and replacing it with a single din, which would leave a space open for gages(egt, boost, and somethin else I guess, for me). That's probably the cleanest way to do it.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are steering column pods that hold single or double gauges. I wasn't too sure how they would look but I recently had a chance to drive a fellow member's car with the double column pod and it wasn't too bad. The lower parts of the tach and speedo are slightly blocked from view but i guess it depends on your seat position. If you take a look at this link you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=1135#

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ooo... tled, thanks!
I'm still entertaining options for a few more weeks.
I am going to install a WVO/SVO kit with some modifications.. I want these gauges and need places to stuff them:

Fuel/Water temp (to monitor the vegetable oil temp)
Fuel gauge (for vegetable oil)
Turbo boost
Pyrometer
Oil pressure
Oil temp

I know that monitoring oil pressure, boost, VO temp, and VO level are the most important. I'm not sure whether or not I should get the oil temp or pyrometer.

Any suggestions which would be more "useful?"

PS: What ranges on the oil pressure gauge and pyrometer would I want?

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, I think that gauge is rather ugly, and it only comes with EGT. I suppose its a good combo, boost and EGT.

I'd rather say, oil pressure and temp.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Ugly? Ooooohhhh-kay I see... Form before function. With the expanded amount of gauges you list, I doubt you will find any combination of gauges that will do all the things you want in any package that won't be... uh, ugly. Westach will build you any guage combination you want and you can combine 6 gauges into 3. Looks aside, I don't think you can do that with any other mfg. User alienbogey has a triple pillar pod on his truck that does just what I described, 3=6. If you can get past the looks, the gauges are top quality (they do aircraft gauges) and offer flexibility of choice and maximum use of the limited space available in our TDI's. I thought mine looked a little hard to read at first and, perhaps, a bit homely but... with a little mental adjustment on my part, I now find it easy to read and, more importantly, it tells me what I want to know using minimum real estate.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Fly, that is true, and a good point.
I don't care if it perfectly matches the colour of the Jetta's dash. Hell, I might have fun putting various colours of LEDs into it. I really would prefer the functionality over ricer looks. And trying to read 6 gauges spread between the steering wheel, a pillar, and radio slot is just getting silly. :)

How much does it cost to have "custom" dual gauges made?

I want to get the gauges as cheaply as possible without looking like crap.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tledbetter said:
I found these here
http://www.newsouthperformance.com/Mk4pod.htm
But they seem like they would block the tach and speedo quite a bit.... Does anyone have any pics with a dual guage column mounted pod?? It would be appreciated!
I saw these some time ago but decided against them as I thought they would block visibility of the instrument cluster. But recently I drove Joe Hafner's Jetta (http://www.dieseltuning.ca/) and he has this same double-gauge pod on his steering column and i gotta say it's not as bad as I thought it would be. But then I guess it depends on the driver's seat position. From where I was, I coul see pretty much 90% of the instrument cluster with only a tiny bit of the beginning of the tach and the end of the speedo blocked from my view.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
da bear:
That looks pretty nice. I sort of see how I won't care about what it obscures.
How do you like it? does it fi the column nicely?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I think I'm going to pick these up from egauges.com

dual column pod (for my Faria fuel level and fuel temp gauges for the WVO conversion)
3 gauge DIN panel
VDO Vision Pyrometer kit to 1650 (should come with everything, right?)
VDO Vision Boost gauge (0-30 PSI)
10 ft nylon boost sender kit
VDO Vision Oil Temperature (300F)
323-423 10-180 300F M10x1 temperature sender
4 blue 4 LED 192 bulbs

I only need to supply the wire and electrical connectors, right?

The boost sender kit CON 011 should have everything I need to tap into my intake and measure the boost, right?

What's with the VDO pyrometer and its light? What type of light bulb do I get for it so it'll match the rest of my gauges?

The oil temp sender. Will this fit the plug by my oil filter? Do I need anything else for this?

Thanks. I'd buy from 42draftdesigns but I want the column pod and 4 LED lights.
Not sure about doing it myself as I don't have instructions.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Dakota digital makes a dual gauge with EGT and boost. The color appears to be a bit off, though.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
Ok, I think I'm going to pick these up from egauges.com

dual column pod (for my Faria fuel level and fuel temp gauges for the WVO conversion)
3 gauge DIN panel
VDO Vision Pyrometer kit to 1650 (should come with everything, right?)
VDO Vision Boost gauge (0-30 PSI)
10 ft nylon boost sender kit
VDO Vision Oil Temperature (300F)
323-423 10-180 300F M10x1 temperature sender
4 blue 4 LED 192 bulbs

I only need to supply the wire and electrical connectors, right?

The boost sender kit CON 011 should have everything I need to tap into my intake and measure the boost, right?

What's with the VDO pyrometer and its light? What type of light bulb do I get for it so it'll match the rest of my gauges?

The oil temp sender. Will this fit the plug by my oil filter? Do I need anything else for this?

Thanks. I'd buy from 42draftdesigns but I want the column pod and 4 LED lights.
Not sure about doing it myself as I don't have instructions.
Fortuna Wolf,

Take a look at 42 Draft Design's website and at the bottom of the page there is a "Tech" link that takes you to a page where there are links to instructions with diagrams on how to install basically every gauge they sell.

Here's a link to the section:

http://42draftdesigns.com/tech.htm

Go to the section called "The Book" and look up any information you need.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Whew! Thanks for that link. I had placed an order for temp sender 323-423, but 42DD's website says that it won't work with TDIs. Managed to change my order to 323-055 and I'll install it in the oil drain pan instead (Oh boy, gonna be a fun install!).