www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old January 3rd, 2019, 09:16   #1
roggen1of8

Default car pulls to left when i accelerate

I have a 2003 jetta wagon tdi. 364000+ miles. All front end parts are either new or in good condition. I just replaced the front struts and springs. Monroe quickstrut 171525. The top flange mount for the strut will not set tight to the body. According to my front end guy he says they don't. That it is a VW design. True or not?

Also, when I accelerate the car pulls to the left and when I take my foot off of the accelerator it then pulls to the right. Most noticeable at speeds over 40.

What ya all think?
roggen1of8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2019, 10:49   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Those quickstruts are junk. They are double plus junk on that application.

Just get some quality struts, springs if necessary, and upper mounts and put it back the way it is supposed to be.

I seriously take SO many of those stupid things out and chuck them in the scrapper. What sucks is, then I have to order the upper spring perch since the OEM stuff is all generally missing.
Old January 7th, 2019, 08:54   #3
roggen1of8

Ok thanks for not answering my question. yes you don't like quick struts and even in your professional opinion that is a personal choice. So, leaving that aside can you give me any ideas why the car is pulling to the left when I accelerate?
roggen1of8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:39   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The upper mounts of the quickstruts are unable to keep the strut assembly in proper geometry, because they are of low quality.

Like I already said.

You said the rest of the front end parts are good.... I took that to mean the control arm compliance bushings are also good... and if they are, the only other thing that causes torque steer to that degree is the UPPER mounts.

It is a simple Mac strut front suspension, same as any other, although some cars have an actual fastener to attach the upper mount to the body, some just let it sit in a pocket (like on this application). The upper disk and nut keep the strut assembly from dropping out of the pocket when the car is lifted off the ground. This is not unique to Volkswagen, but not common either. Fiat 500s are like this too.

I am sorry if you do not like my answer. But you asked.

Last edited by oilhammer; January 7th, 2019 at 10:41.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:47   #5
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggen1of8 View Post
The top flange mount for the strut will not set tight to the body. According to my front end guy he says they don't. That it is a VW design. True or not?
Yes, this is true. Been that way since the early Rabbits.

Your car is throttle-steering because something in the car's front suspension or steering geometry is changing under engine torque.

If this just started after you changed struts the struts are of course the prime suspect. Otherwise, any wear item in the car's front suspension or steering is a possibility... aside from the struts themselves there's:

- ball joints
- outer or inner tie rods
- upper strut bearings / bushings (did they get replaced when you did the struts?)
- any of the control arm bushings

Potentially loose subframe bolts could cause this as well, but likely you would have heard noise already.

Did this start *after* you changed struts?

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.

Last edited by Vince Waldon; January 7th, 2019 at 10:55.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 18:35   #6
Fahrvegnugen
Veteran Member

I replaced everything but the struts themselves, and I have the same situation. I checked it over and tightened everything, and still get the pull to the left. I had a couple of shops check into it and they didnít find anything wrong, so when I get on it I have the turbo spooling noise sooth me while holding the wheel straight. It rides nice until I goose it.
Fahrvegnugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 20:19   #7
My_name_is_Rob
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Vento
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg

My mk3 does this, but it pulls to the right when accelerating. I even went as far as to change the engine mounts, and it still does it. Next on the list is an inner and outer tie rod for the right side, and sway bar bushings.