RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Do you know anyone that has installed this yet ? Reviews ? I have a version L with SW 5374 currently....

For those interested Peter the RNS-510 Wizard and continental dealer/re-seller just made available J,K,L,M,N RNS-510 SSD Only!!! 5378 Firmware
with a changelog!!! :)
This update will give you improved Sirius Radio reception, GPS Positioning and guidance as well as much improved performance of the unit. Firmware will also fully Unlock DVD In Motion so you can watch DVD's while the car is moving, and also enable hidden screen menu
EDIT: also enables voice commands (without the need for VCDS)
link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-RNS-510-Navigation-Firmware-Upgrade-DVD-In-Motion-Service-Menu-/290912055262
I wonder if the 2015.5 NMS will even get the RNS-510 though- with Continental soon to be no longer the official Contract radio maker for VWAG???

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Oh yeah thanks, didn't check to see what the posting date was. Hopefully we will hear something soon. I will more than likely purchase it and will try and do a before & after video of functionality & speed.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Do you know anyone that has installed this yet ? Reviews ? I have a version L with SW 5374 currently....
You will gain VERY little, and it would be waste of $120. Glad to see that Peter has gotten better with the prices, but still ridiculous in my opinion, when he gets it for free by being a continental dealer. It was this highway robbery originally that sent me down the path I went down and started all the fact finding I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Thanks for the heads up LokiWolf... Yeah unless prices drop dramatically on SW 5378 or there is an update later this year or next year I will just stick with what I have - works pretty good now once it's "warmed up"

You will gain VERY little, and it would be waste of $120. Glad to see that Peter has gotten better with the prices, but still ridiculous in my opinion, when he gets it for free by being a continental dealer. It was this highway robbery originally that sent me down the path I went down and started all the fact finding I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

skateboy918

TDI
07 VW GLI
If that can be of any used to anyone here is map update 5V. You'll need a dual layer DVD to burn it. I haven't installed it yet. Let me know how it goes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjoqn37jh91c93g/RNS510V5M.iso?dl=0
there were 2 version of the 5M maps, the original 5M and 5.1M

the original 5M had issues with the POI database and they revised it to 5.1M and sent everyone who purchased it a free copy. I was one of those so that is how I know

also, that is why there was such a version as the 5.2M maps for those who were wondering why it was called such

TDISam87

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hello Ladies and Gents, hope this will help you all searching for the V8m maps.

Check out this thread over on the golkmk6 forums:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62242

There is a user by the name of mk3vr6me who has uploaded and shared v4366 firmware/V7 maps/and now the V8 maps. Do read pages 10-12 to get caught up on the extraction process/burning procedures etc. He is a very friendly guy and has had many people DL/burn with success! All I ask is you buy that dude a beer for helping the community! :D

BigwaterGTI

TDI
GTI 2011
Hello Ladies and Gents, hope this will help you all searching for the V8m maps.

Check out this thread over on the golkmk6 forums:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62242

There is a user by the name of mk3vr6me who has uploaded and shared v4366 firmware/V7 maps/and now the V8 maps. Do read pages 10-12 to get caught up on the extraction process/burning procedures etc. He is a very friendly guy and has had many people DL/burn with success! All I ask is you buy that dude a beer for helping the community! :D
Awesome ! Thanks! Waiting for his reply :)

saragon1

TDI
14 jetta
As for the v8m maps got mine from the link above. Mk3vr6me is very friendly. I have a disc already made if anyone is in honolulu area..

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
He will get a Cease and Desist from HERE's Lawyers, the brand Managing company for Navteq shortly. Openly sharing it will not last long. Hope it does, but I kept it to PM's and I still got the C & D!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
there were 2 version of the 5M maps, the original 5M and 5.1M

the original 5M had issues with the POI database and they revised it to 5.1M and sent everyone who purchased it a free copy. I was one of those so that is how I know

also, that is why there was such a version as the 5.2M maps for those who were wondering why it was called such

Well aware, if you would look at the first post in this thread all of that info is explained, in depth with versions and Map Data Dates.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I just ordered the RNS 510 v.8M Navigation System Map Update from NAVTEQ.
$110.16 with taxes and their slowest shipping (10 days).

I'm curious to see if some of areas I drive are now updated with this version.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably too late now. You posted in this thread and it is probably monitored by someone now. Your letter is probably en-route as we speak.

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
FWIW, here's the info from my 2015 Passat Nav:
FW - 5378
Map - 8112
HW - H26

And yes, it's still slow. If VW was intending their NAV to be real slow, I'd say it should be award winning in that category.

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
FWIW, here's the info from my 2015 Passat Nav:
FW - 5378
Map - 8112
HW - H26

And yes, it's still slow. If VW was intending their NAV to be real slow, I'd say it should be award winning in that category.
Hey, do you have traffic cameras / speed cameras as an option on your POI list ? I've heard it might be an option....I have H23 / SW-5374 / Map-8050

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Received the new version 8M disc from NAVTEQ yesterday. It's installing now. I'm curious to see if the traffic cameras / speed cameras POIs are an option.

May take all day to load. Need to ensure the unit stays on every 30 minutes or so. They state around 3 hours.

18 Sept Unit is updated. Places in map does NOT show traffic cameras / speed cameras.

My unit: IIRC, it's a K unit. Bought from Peter over on VWVortex two and half years ago.
HW-Version H02
SW-Version 4366
MAP Version 8112

I'm currently in southern New Jersey if anyone wants to check-it-out. PM me.

Last edited:

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
How do I know what version of the map data I have?
My new car is 2015 Passat TDI SEL purchased just a few days ago. I see from http://www.navigation.com/ that there was a July 2014 release of the map data. How do I know if that's what I have?

The answer is on page one of thread.. press down on the setup button until a second screen appears. The last option will display the version info.

Bob

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
I tried to update my 2013 J unit with v8 map data. I am now stuck in and endless loop of map updates. Every time it reaches the end it restarts from the beginning again. If I force it to exit the update and kick out the disk then it overlays a message on my screen saying it needs the disk back in. I have tried rebooting the unit several times with no luck clearing the update.
I have considered resetting the unit to factory settings but then I would have to update the firmware again to 4366 so I would rather avoid that if I can.
Does anyone know of a graceful way out of this and/or a way to make the map update complete? Also, what caused this in the first place, is it a problem with the burned map update?
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you all for being a wonderful community and resource.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
EricEE,

If I was in this situation, I would reburn the file(s) and then attempt to update with the fresh disc.

Bob

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Thanks Bob. I'll try that and post results.
Hey, just had a similar issue yesterday. After upgrading to SW 5378 from SW5374 I was trying to update my maps to 8112 from 8050. It would get to what looked to be 80% - 90% and then would restart at 0%, tried restarting several times like you did! So here is my solution... Went and bought a lens cleaning disk at Office Depot for 8$, ran it 3 times, then installed 2 songs from a SD card onto the RNS, then deleted one of them. 8112 maps installed with no issues after that.

Currently have an L unit with H23 / SW 5378 / 8112 Maps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.