2012 Passat HID DIY Install

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
The North American, Saudi Arabian, and Chinese Passats are an "NMS" (New Midsize Sedan). The Euro Passat is a "B7" (even though it isn't really, more like a B6.5). The two vehicles are completely different.

Because this discussion forum is for both the Euro and North American models, we request that the correct nomenclature be used (unlike VWvortex that just calls everything a B7 because nobody knows or cares about the difference).
Ok, thanks for clearing it up, but the listing we posted is for the DIY that the Original Poster created, not sure if it will matter as you still need the mk6 h7 adapter, and to tap into the wires.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
compu_85 and I did the same thing that Coffeemade (the OP) did. I'm not sure what type of bulb adapters were required, but we posted our how-to in this thread.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
compu_85 and I did the same thing that Coffeemade (the OP) did. I'm not sure what type of bulb adapters were required, but we posted our how-to in this thread.
It is the MK6 H7 HID Adapter you will need for the kit to work.

There is 3 ways to tap into the wiring, you can solder it like the OP did.
You can use t-taps to tap into the wires for power.
Or you can strip the wire and use crimp connectors like the DIY linked below:
http://deautokey.com/passat-b7-hid-diy

You need a specific gauge for the t-taps and crimping wires too that our kit comes with so the wires are tight when using the t-taps or stripping your wires. If the gauge is too big or too small you might run into issues with the wires making the correct connection the the HID kit.

It is a bit easier if you do not have a soldering gun.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
T-Taps are ghetto. :eek:

Soldering and heat shrinking is the way to go! :)

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
T-Taps are ghetto. :eek:

Soldering and heat shrinking is the way to go! :)
Not at all, it is a great easy alternative that works just as efficiently.
If you use the wrong gauge you could run into problems, that is why we tested which gauge works perfectly so our customers don't run into any issues.

We have had great customer feedback on our kits, and we think we made it easier since we did the research for our customers.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm not saying that you aren't offering a good kit, however the best way to do the wiring would be to solder and heat-shrink the connections inside the headlight housing so that you aren't modifying the stock wiring harness or exposing any of the connections to water and road salt. Just my $0.02. :)

Of course, it would be impossible to offer a "kit" that does the wiring as described above.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Tapping vs. solder and heat-shrink? There's really no comparison for longevity...period...

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I'm not saying that you aren't offering a good kit, however the best way to do the wiring would be to solder and heat-shrink the connections inside the headlight housing so that you aren't modifying the stock wiring harness or exposing any of the connections to water and road salt. Just my $0.02. :)

Of course, it would be impossible to offer a "kit" that does the wiring as described above.
Tapping vs. solder and heat-shrink? There's really no comparison for longevity...period...
We agree soldering would be great, but a lot of customers do not want to do that, tapping or crimping will last just as long, we suggest using electrical tape to get a better seal, or in the DIY people used heat shrink connectors, there is no reason for it not to last.

What is the issue on longevity in your opinion? Once tapped it will last a lifetime, they are not going anywhere.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Depends on one's definition of "a lifetime"
...vibration...corrosion...temperature extremes. Under the hood isn't as friendly as inside the cabin or trunk, although the vibration issues remains.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Depends on one's definition of "a lifetime"
...vibration...corrosion...temperature extremes. Under the hood isn't as friendly as inside the cabin or trunk, although the vibration issues remains.
A lifetime being pretty much the life of your car, we never seen an issue with the t-tap method and connector method in the long run, we use it for reverse and other applications in the headlight with no issues so far, it has been up to 5 years on some of the products using a t-tap, once it is tapped into the wires they do not move, the lock is strong and it won't interrupt the connection.

Your concerns and why it could cause a problem is very valid though, we have yet to see it though.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I have seen a lot of t-taps last for a long time, but my personal preference is to a more robust connection and keep it out of the weather. A lot of salt spray and grime can make its way under the hood, and I've seen a lot of people do shoddy work on their HID installations with the wires and connections just hanging out wherever, exposed to the elements. Also, not all t-taps are made equally... a good quality one will be better than a cheap flimsy one.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I have seen a lot of t-taps last for a long time, but my personal preference is to a more robust connection and keep it out of the weather. A lot of salt spray and grime can make its way under the hood, and I've seen a lot of people do shoddy work on their HID installations with the wires and connections just hanging out wherever, exposed to the elements. Also, not all t-taps are made equally... a good quality one will be better than a cheap flimsy one.
That is true, our kit has sturdy ones, we buy ones that will hold up in our kit, we also suggesting using some electrical tape to get a better seal, it takes a few seconds and helps keep out debris that you mentioned.

Thank you for letting us clear this up.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I just bought a set of deautokey hid and interior led for passat nms/b7. can't wait to install them.

i bought a set of hid from hidextra 5 yrs ago and installed it in our odyssey van. it is still going strong (knock on wood...).

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
finally installed the interior led and hid low beams.
quick sum up on interior led:

1. interior led looks great, i chose white for foot well, and turned out to be too bright even at lowest 20% setting.

2. rear door puddle lights were deleted starting MY13, but the kit comes with 4 led bulbs for puddle lights.

sum up for hid low beam:

1. the install went without much problem. the grill was the hardest to reinstall. i end up breaking one of the tabs on top.

2. when i turned the beams on for the 1st time, the beams would shut off intermittently, with beam outage warning on dash. this happened on both sides. this happened for about 10 minutes.

3. the outage and warning subsided, but still comes on randomly. beams stayed on the most.

4. this one bothers me - whenever high beam is turned on, bulb outage warning comes on (both side, at random). however, the beam stays on. when high beam is turned off, warnings disappears.

5. when i turned fog lights on, warning came on, but not every time.

has anyone else experienced similar problems?
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We had intermittent low beam issues for the first month or so... it eventually went away. I wonder if it's due to the ballasts and lamps being new.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nope. High beams were unchanged from factory (still halogen)... not sure why you'd be having problems with those.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just an update, one of our headlamp bulbs died somewhere in Utah or Colorado - wouldn't strike and threw a bulb-out error.

I knew they were due, as they probably had 1500-2000 hours of use on them, the intensity was starting to diminish a bit, and the color was getting purpler. Just ordered two new Morimoto 3Five lamps for $40 and all is well again! They're just as bright and white as they were two years ago. :cool:

pitufos25

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
2014 passat tdi led conversion kit

Hello I have enormous dilema.going on: I have purchased led conversion Kits for the high beams and low beams and similarly I need an adapter or retainer that go l fits and holds the led h7 bulbs (have fans and ballast)can anyone help???

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hello I have enormous dilema.going on: I have purchased led conversion Kits for the high beams and low beams and similarly I need an adapter or retainer that go l fits and holds the led h7 bulbs (have fans and ballast)can anyone help???
I would return those LED lamps. The output (intensity) is not as good as the stock halogens and the beam pattern of the LED retrofits is nothing short of terrible.

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI

pitufos25

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
im just looking into some led bulbs for the passat . My buddy just got them for his t

I like the suggestions for led bulbs you provided! I would still need to find a retainer that will hold led bulb as I have a switch knob that holds my current halogen bulbs

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I have to update this , i checked the thread out and concluded those led bulbs wont fit in the holder we have to use , so i went and ordered morimoto 35w 4300k h7 kit for the car .

Diesel 05/14

TDI
2005 & 2014 Passat TDI
HID conversion kit for 2012-2014 Passat problems

I just installed the HID conversion kit for my 2014 Passat TDI, at first I had the problem with my right side HID turn off when engine is running and put the high beams on. After I consulted with a group via chat, including compu_85, he told me to run-in the bulbs and ballast, it solved that part of the problem of staying on at low beam, but not when I turn on the high beam.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
3M Scotchlok 804s are the best I've used. They're filled with dielectric grease, you can spray them with water etc. no problem. Other t-taps I just put a shot of CRC dielectric grease before sealing. Never had an issues with salt corrosion etc. You can also double wrap them for super paranoid safety with electrical tape and rubber stretch sealing tape.

VR6Ghost

TDI
Mk6 Jetta TDI
Just wanted to add to this thread...

DeAutoKey has created a unique kit for the B7 Passat, that I installed on my 2012 3 months ago. Not only are the bulbs custom-wrapped to ensure zero glare, the 35w kit carries a lifetime warranty and slim-line ballasts for $144.99. It also employs metal bulb adapters that are of much higher quality/durability than the typical plastic adapters you'll find everywhere else.

I can say that this is easily the best upgrade option available for the B7. IMO there isn't a single upgrade for the money that makes a greater impact, adds more value/safety/performance than this kit.

After driving with these bulbs for a few months, I ordered another set and installed them on my Mom's B7. Especially for cars without the factory fogs installed, this kit has a dramatic effect on night-time visibility and with the hefty warranty included and high-quality parts employed, I am looking forward to a very fruitful relationship with this company.

For those interested, I have also replaced every other bulb on my Passat with CANBus LEDs from this same company. Though expensive, 100% of them are error free, direct-replacements and also come with a lifetime warranty. All told, I've spent around $800 retro-fitting the interior and exterior lighting, so this is not a cheap endeavor. But I couldn't be happier with the end result. My car is Candy White with the Beige Silk leatherette and the higher-kelvin rating of the LED bulbs lends a far more modern and inviting air to the cabin. Outside, the blinkers, brake lights, reverse lights, license plate lights and fogs do an excellent job of creating some much needed visual presence without silly carbon fiber/aftermarket antics. Overall the conversion exudes the kind of refined performance you'd expect to enjoy on an Audi, and it looks outstanding on a VeeDub.

The final upgrade I'd recommend for those that have the factory fog lights would be the OPT7 FluxBeam LED bulbs. Talk about your night and day differences...at 3,500 lumens per bulb, this upgrade will transform your side-to-side and short distance visibility in a very drastic way. The install could not be simpler and the bulbs are widely available. I did have 1 bulb driver die on me a few weeks after install, but one call to OPT7 and I have a replacement driver shipped free of charge within 2 days. Since then, I have had zero issues. These bulbs come with a 2 year warranty and even if they die after that point, I'd re-purchase this set just for the difference it makes with no complaint.

So, do I recommend everyone go through the time/expense/hassle of retro-fitting their whole car? Nope...super expensive and time consuming. But for the average user, I would recommend the HID kit and, if so inclined, the fogs at a minimum. Only lighting nuts like myself would ever see the benefit in spending so much time and money on just lighting. But for those lighting crazies out there...IT IS AWESOME.

Last edited: