Where is my cabin air filter?

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
I have a 99 NB and am looking for where my pollen filter is. I have seen the howto, and it was not in the same place (went out and looked). Is it under all that plastic on my dash? which side? Please help, I dont have a bently yet and Id rather get shot in the nads than pay a dealer for what should be 15 minutes of work.
Alan

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
in the cabin, on the passenger side. Tools required - a T10,15 or 20 torx (don't remember which right now).

Slide the center piece forward, then the top right (after removing bolts), then I think one more to get to the air filter itself.

I'm getting faster on it the more I do it...

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
This thread has great timing for me as I will be doing the first maintenance on my wife's '99 NB.
I got the center piece to slide forward, and removed the 2 screws - now how does that right panel come off? I don't want to apply too much pressure in the wrong direction so I don't break anything....

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
dadsdiesel said:
This thread has great timing for me as I will be doing the first maintenance on my wife's '99 NB.
I got the center piece to slide forward, and removed the 2 screws - now how does that right panel come off? I don't want to apply too much pressure in the wrong direction so I don't break anything....
On the right side there are 4 or 5 more screws to remove. Once you have all of the screws removed the panel can be removed by gently popping the rear edge upwards.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
I just did my 04 Jetta for first time today. Getting it properly seated on the way back in left my forearms hurting from the sharp edges all around it. FWIW, I think the main problem was letting the filter get misaligned on the little filter frame up front (the factory filter had a couple of slits that the filter fit into the frame. Once I figured that out and got the front edge of the filter snugged up in the little frame, it was A-OK.