Auto Transmissions Need Extra Maintenance to Live as Long as Engine

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Manufactures are making more "fill for life" auto transmissions than ever these days. While the synthetic ATF fluid is better than ever too, I personally don't like these "sealed" transmissions. They are a great marketing tool to sell to the public and lures the customer into thinking that very little if any maintenance is needed.

Since our TDI engine puts out a lot of torque, is typically exposed to severe stop and go conditions in hot and cold climates, those with auto trannies should consider doing extra maintenance if they want their transmission to last longer than 100K - 150K, in order to possibly live as long as our diesel engines.

Since heat is the #1 destroyer of automatic transmissions, I suggest that the synthetic ATF be changed every 30,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Your transmission will thank you for it if you do and it's cheap insurance in the long run.

M

mickey

VW's idea of "zero maintainance" transmissions is far too optimistic. Especially the autos!

I'd recommend no more than 5 years or 100,000 miles for a "lightly used" automatic TDI. Change the oil more often if you tow or push the car hard. (30,000 miles?) The VW transmissions fluid is supposed to be some kind of special "synthetic" stuff, but I don't know the details. I'd stick with the stock VW fluid, but don't make the mistake of leaving it in there forever. Conventional wisdom, when using old-fashioned Dextron or Type F fluid, says to change the fluid and pan filter EVERY YEAR! Mercedes insists that the fluid and filter be changed every 24,000 miles.

-mickey

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
What does the manual say about a change interval in the autos ?
I think they only make the manuals lifetime fillings - and mickey is the best example it does work very well ...

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000
We just got rid of a 1984 Honda Civic wagon with a Hondamatic auto transmission.Not only I have never changed the fluid,I didn't even check the level (really difficult access).It lasted 16 years and 290,000 km. working flawlessly.

The body almost disintegrated from rust though.

------------------
John/Y2K Golf GLS TDI auto

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Any idea if you CAN change the oil? I know we cannot check the fluid level without a VAG tool! In older VW automatics you could not change the oil successfully without removing the tranny! There was no way to drain the torque converter which holds most of the oil, you could only drain 2 liters at a time (6-7 liter capacity). If our TDI automatics do not have cooler lines (haven't looked yet) there is no way to change the oil properly. Second, there is NO WAY to check the level short of dealer tools (it is a VW remember!). Good luck figuring this out
Greg

------------------
2000 Jetta Gls TDI
1985 VW Vanagon GL
1980 VW Vanagon Westy
1985 VW Jetta TD
1984 Volvo 240 turbo
1984 VW Convertible

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
clacker:

While I'm partial to the 5-speed and am not sure as to all the details in "checking the fluid level," I know that there's a way to remove the transmission oil pan, replace the filter, and refill it. It can't be that difficult of a job as I've changed thousands of transmission oil and filters.

With that said, it takes about 3 - 4 auto transmission changes to get all of the oil out of the cooler / lines / torque convertor (which holds the most, as you said). Since VW ssays they have "synthetic" in the auto trannies, I recommend that you change the fluid every couple of years.

Steve

P.S. Does anyone know who makes the auto transmission fluid for VW? I hope it's a pure synthetic and not downgraded to a dino fluid like VW's manual transaxle gear lube appears (?) to be.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
VW recomends changing the Automatic synthetic ATF at 60,000 mile intervals.

With the internal transmission cooler that VW builds into the Tranny this will keep the fluid at an ideal temperature for long life.

I ran a diagnostic on my wife's Auto TDI and found the fluid at 204F after a normal drive. This tells me that the cooler keeps the heat under control and stable in terms of heat and viscosity.

I have no problem with a 60,000 mile interval and when you look at the recomendations of other manufacturers (15,000 miles city, 30,000 miles highway) the VW recomendation is in line with sythetic fluid verses conventional ATF.

Now when you factor in how many people actually change the ATF you realize how reliable the transmission can be with proper care.

DB

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Oh ye of little faith. Trust,and enjoy the savings. Our "other" car is a Mercury Van with 160,000 miles and the auto fluid has never been touched. Still going strong. Ooops, gotta go, wife can't seem to get the car our of park.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Mercury Van = Nissan 3.0 V-6 Engine and Nissan Built Automatic Transmission with outstanding drivetrain repair record.

VW's auto transmissions are not so fortunate, hence, the need to do extra maintenance to get similar longevity out of them.

"Oh ye of little faith," no automatic transmission walks on water, either.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited October 21, 2000).]