Engine Knocking After Adding Oil

leegravel

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 50.5 mpg
I have a loud knocking coming from my engine. Yesterday I left the house, drove two miles to a gas station and checked my tire pressure and oil level. Seeing that my oil level was low (I figure this was normal since I put about a thousand highway miles on since I last checked), I added about a quarter of a quart and drove five miles down the road. The noise began very suddenly. I pulled over and shut the car off. I then tried to start it back up but it wouldn't start. A passerby helped me jump it, but the knocking was still loud so I let it be.The sound is not that bad when idling, but when I accelerate it's very loud. It was just recently towed to a mechanic that I'm sure probably hasn't worked on a TDi before.

After watching a few videos and listening to the audio, it seems that other people have had the same problem. But, why would it do it after adding fresh 505 01 oil, which is pretty much all that's been run in it?

There are no leaks around the motor. Any ideas?

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
Did you put air in the tires? It probably hasn't anything to do with that either.

Why not find a guru and tow it there? Why waste even a penny on someone you already know isn't a good choice to work on your car?

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
I have a loud knocking coming from my engine. Yesterday I left the house, drove two miles to a gas station and checked my tire pressure and oil level. Seeing that my oil level was low (I figure this was normal since I put about a thousand highway miles on since I last checked), I added about a quarter of a quart and drove five miles down the road. The noise began very suddenly. I pulled over and shut the car off. I then tried to start it back up but it wouldn't start. A passerby helped me jump it, but the knocking was still loud so I let it be.The sound is not that bad when idling, but when I accelerate it's very loud. It was just recently towed to a mechanic that I'm sure probably hasn't worked on a TDi before.
After watching a few videos and listening to the audio, it seems that other people have had the same problem. But, why would it do it after adding fresh 505 01 oil, which is pretty much all that's been run in it?
There are no leaks around the motor. Any ideas?
Camshaft ever been replaced ?