www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 30th, 2009, 17:48   #1
JettaDrvr

Default Coolant Glow Plug connector ??

The connectors that go to my coolant glow plugs are falling apart. I have been able to find a part # for it "028 971 782 A" and it sells for around $27. Does this include all 3 connectors, or is this part # just for 1 of them ?
JettaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 18:02   #2
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): All gone

You need 3 of those.
jcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 18:18   #3
JettaDrvr

Well Im not so sure I want to go that route then. There was a post by someone on here threaded the ends of the coolant glow plugs, put ring connectors on the ends of the wires, and hooked it up like the spark plugs on an old antique engine. I read that post years ago and now I cant find it. If I just knew the thread and die size for that..............

Last edited by JettaDrvr; October 30th, 2009 at 22:38.
Old October 31st, 2009, 16:21   #4
JettaDrvr

Well after thinking about a solution, I came up with some ideas for a cheap solution. One was to do as planned and thread the end of the glow plug and put ring connectors on the end of the wires and hold it down with a nut but thats too much work. So the other idea was to still put ring connectors on the the wires, not thread the GP, instead holding it down with a speed nut. the problem there is that there probably wont be much downward force holding the connector to the GP. Final idea Im probably going to go with is just crimp on some alligator clips on the wires and hook it up to the GPs and be done with it.
Old October 31st, 2009, 17:05   #5
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

The surface area of the alligator clips will be insufficient for the amount of amperage through each of these (about 250 watts each, or about 20 amperes at 12 volts)
The early 1Z and AHU used eyelet and nut connectors, but the press-on boot type is more secure and better able to handle the current flow. That's why the cylinder glow plugs were also switched from a ring and eyelet type in the IDI, to the push-on type for the TDI. I think VW decided to use up the old threaded plugs before switching all of them to the push-on type.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 20:12   #6
JettaDrvr

Ok i guess the alligator clips are out then. I'm now looking at doing something with these terminal lugs : http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...005&lpage=none
Old December 16th, 2014, 21:23   #7
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I had a similar issue and thought the $75 price tag was too steep for what it was - Especially since the connectors need to be spliced into the original harness which is another place for it to fail.
Here's my original snap on connectors - not much left of them

So, I found that a #10-24 die was the right size and just cut threads on the top of each of the glow plugs.

I then soldered ring terminals on the existing wires and then put them on with acorn nuts and a spacer nut underneath.
Just about free - maybe a couple $ in nuts, ring terminals, solder, electricity, etc.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200

Last edited by Fix_Until_Broke; December 16th, 2014 at 21:25. Reason: added picture
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:29   #8
holysirsalad
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 MPG (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
I had a similar issue and thought the $75 price tag was too steep for what it was - Especially since the connectors need to be spliced into the original harness which is another place for it to fail.
Here's my original snap on connectors - not much left of them

So, I found that a #10-24 die was the right size and just cut threads on the top of each of the glow plugs.

I then soldered ring terminals on the existing wires and then put them on with acorn nuts and a spacer nut underneath.
Just about free - maybe a couple $ in nuts, ring terminals, solder, electricity, etc.
Sorry for dragging up the old thread, but that is fantastic, just the kind of workaround I was hoping to find!
But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 09:04   #9
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Works a treat for engine glow plugs too..

...for those moments when you're sick of intermittant glow-plug harness CELs.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:00   #10
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

just get an automatic car coolant housing, it has no coolant plugs and really cleans things up in the area. no need to work at an awkward angle when removing the vac pump to install a cam lock during TB changes.