www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old October 13th, 2019, 04:14   #946
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
Good question.

From what I read before doing this, there is a purge valve built in some place. The only thing purging the system will do is bypass the long few cranks the car will do initially.

I didn't purge it.. just installed the new filter and went to start the car.

On the first start the car cranked over probably 20 times before it finally fired up. I let it run about a minute or two and then shut it off. Went to start it again and again it must have cranked about 15 times before firing up... let it run a few minutes and thats it. Now it starts up like before every time, it must have bled out the air already. I was running errands in the car today so already started it 4-5 times with no issues.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

You'll need a 8mm socket for the panels and a 10mm socket for the plastic bracket that holds the filter. Then a flathead and a phillips for the clamps attaching the lines.

Get plenty of towels ready.. lol
After watching a video of service tech explaining why HPFP fail I'm trying to avoid doing it this way. According to that guy, the fuel pump is working for several seconds without lubrication causing it to produce small metal particles which result in fuel system failure. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old October 13th, 2019, 06:49   #947
PeteZ06
Veteran Member

TDI(s): E320 CDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjez View Post
After watching a video of service tech explaining why HPFP fail I'm trying to avoid doing it this way. According to that guy, the fuel pump is working for several seconds without lubrication causing it to produce small metal particles which result in fuel system failure. Better to be safe than sorry.

I see that happening if the fuel pump was running completely dry, installed right out of the box with absolutely no lubrication in it. But everything is still lubricated, its just like cold starting an engine in the morning with all the oil sitting in your oil pan, there is still a layer of oil over all the moving metal parts. If the HPFP fails because of this every 25-30K miles then we have bigger issues.

What do people do when they run their tank fully empty out of diesel? I would imagine they just fill up and start the car after a few extra cranks
'05 HD Road King 95ci Heads/Cams 99rwhp

Last edited by PeteZ06; October 13th, 2019 at 07:03.
PeteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 07:04   #948
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post

What do people do when they run their tank fully empty out of diesel? I would imagine they just fill up and start the car after a few extra cranks
That happened to me once but in a work truck, one of the fuel lines got something stuck in it and even though there was fuel in the tank none of it was getting through to the pump. Long story short, it would not start until it was bleed out of air manually, cranking it many times did nothing at all.

Old October 13th, 2019, 13:06   #949
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

I have 335D, but I use the priming function on the Foxwell tool. I've changed fuel filters twice. The first time, I ran the pump for about 30 seconds, and the car still cranked a few times before firing up. The second time I changed the fuel filter, I ran the full priming function on the Foxwell tool, and it seemed to run about a minute and a half and the car fired right up.

Cliff notes: it takes quite a bit of priming to purge the BMW fuel filters.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 15:21   #950
PeteZ06
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
I have 335D, but I use the priming function on the Foxwell tool. I've changed fuel filters twice. The first time, I ran the pump for about 30 seconds, and the car still cranked a few times before firing up. The second time I changed the fuel filter, I ran the full priming function on the Foxwell tool, and it seemed to run about a minute and a half and the car fired right up.

Cliff notes: it takes quite a bit of priming to purge the BMW fuel filters.

yeah those suckers are big.. Ive read also that if you just turn on the ignition without starting the car, the fuel pump primes and bleeds the air thru a purge valve the 535D has. Next time I'll let it prime some more.
Old November 1st, 2019, 21:24   #951
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

I bought my CPO 328D 2.5 years ago now it had 30K on it when I bought it I decided to buy Gap Insurance and Extended service and warranty while expensive I am tired of getting underneath them anyway last week at 58K miles I got brake pad warning and A CEL took it in They replaced all 4 injectors, replaced Pads rotors and sensors and did the emissions recall...in then canceled the Gap Insurance an Got 500 Back...didn’t pay anything....for once a Warranty did me good
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 12:10   #952
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
I bought my CPO 328D 2.5 years ago now it had 30K on it when I bought it I decided to buy Gap Insurance and Extended service and warranty while expensive I am tired of getting underneath them anyway last week at 58K miles I got brake pad warning and A CEL took it in They replaced all 4 injectors, replaced Pads rotors and sensors and did the emissions recall...in then canceled the Gap Insurance an Got 500 Back...didn’t pay anything....for once a Warranty did me good

Winning! Sometimes they're worth it.

I know injectors probably aren't cheap. Last I looked on the 335D, they were going for $300/each and we have two more. When I first bought mine (w/ 66K on the odo), I got an injector #6 error within a couple of weeks. I heavy dosed some Hot Shots Diesel Extreme and it went away until I got deleted and it never came back. I thought I might have CBU, but mechanic checked when I got the deletes done and he said no blasting was needed. $1K saved.

I'm just waiting for my glow plugs to go. Mine was a Florida car its first eight years of life, so maybe I'll get some extra life out of them.

Old November 2nd, 2019, 12:46   #953
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I doubt Tomo's car needed all 4 injectors. But when a dealer is charging a warranty for time and parts they tend to err on the high side.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 16:22   #954
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I doubt Tomo's car needed all 4 injectors. But when a dealer is charging a warranty for time and parts they tend to err on the high side.
The Code was for the #4 injector which I reset 2-3 times over a month period the Car was running great!
After the Brake Pad Lights came on I took it in as soon as the CEL came on again!
That was the 1st question I asked when I picked up the car was why did you replace all 4 injectors and he said to match them with updated injectors! LOL BS
I wasn’t going to argue....Work is fine no problems
Old November 4th, 2019, 04:59   #955
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

Dealers don't always have knowledgable customers. They might also think of customer satisfaction by avoiding other injectors failing, so replacing all 4 might be logical.

I've always had only one glow plug replaced at a time - perhaps at some point replacing all 4 might have saved time/$$

When I had my 335d, it was also thought that "many" of the error codes for injectors were due to a fault in the programming of the DDE (electronic brain of the engine). Updating the firmware apparently solved many problems - BMW did it three times in just 2011 alone. Diesel injectors in BMWs have a good reputation for lasting a long time.

Last edited by Tin Man; November 4th, 2019 at 05:07.
Tin Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 06:02   #956
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
When I had my 335d, it was also thought that "many" of the error codes for injectors were due to a fault in the programming of the DDE (electronic brain of the engine). Updating the firmware apparently solved many problems - BMW did it three times in just 2011 alone.
This is interesting. I usually have my guru check codes on my 335d when I'm there (oh, for VCDS for a BMW) and I seem to frequently have what I call phantom codes, that appear and then aren't there the next time. They don't trigger a CEL. I have no idea if the ECU has been updated, and since it's tuned and I prefer to stay away from dealer service departments, not sure I will. Kind of annoying however to think you've may have an issue, just to discover you don't.
Old November 7th, 2019, 20:38   #957
PeteZ06
Veteran Member

Last time I drove the 535D the CEL went off. Scanned it and looks like I'll be needing to drop the car off at the dealer to do the EGR recall.
Old November 7th, 2019, 21:27   #958
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

I went on a 450 mile trip yesterday.....my 328D got 50.1 mpg best ever such a good road car not sure if it was the new injectors
Old November 8th, 2019, 15:29   #959
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
I went on a 450 mile trip yesterday.....my 328D got 50.1 mpg best ever such a good road car not sure if it was the new injectors

Wow, good stuff! Best tank I've gotten out of my 335D was 42.6 (all highway, no A/C). Typical is mid-30s.