Immobilizer Help

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
I bought a 2011 TDI jetta wagon at auction, had some minor damage, but,
due to a dead battery the immobilizer is active.

I really do not want to go to dealer. I really dont care if the immobilizer works or not, so deleting it is fine, I just do not want any error codes on dash if it is deleted or jumpered over.

I am looking for a cheap option. any recommendations?

I have contacted one member on here a few minutes ago that offers an immo delete service.

I have an old VagCom cable with VCDS lite that works on my 02 Jetta TDI. I have not tried on the 2011 as eveything I read said CAN connection.

Thanks!

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
OK, No comments, No PM. No one has any ideas???

I am going to take this to the dealer. I have two key fobs that work all the remotes functions, Both will start the car and it will run for one second then the immobilizer will cut it off. Same thing for both keys.

Does anyone have any advice to keep my costs low at dealer?

The dealer told me $95 if no issues and they might not be able to "Reprogram" the keys. Why would that happen?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
You can get an immobilizer delete from Malone tuning; you'll still need to program the keys if they didn't belong to the car but it won't be immobilized anymore. VAGCOM won't help pair up the keys or remove the immobilizer; you are at the mercy of someone deleting the immobilizer and/or the dealer pairing the keys.

Spacewalker

TDI
2.0 CR
the cheap options it to make a KEY , no need ECU open what ever . Just focus on cluster.
tools over 1000$ will do it + knowledge

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
Thanks Everyone. We are going to take it to the dealer in a week or so. All the documents I have on the car does indicate these are the original keys.

Dealer says that " IF " everything is ok, they can program the keys for $95.

The car sat for about 6 months with a dead battery. Do you think the long period with a dead battery caused the problem?

IS the chip in the keys programmable? OR IF someone sat the keys on a magnet, would that cause the chip to be messed up?

Just want to be well prepared for any dealer BS. Can anyone think of any legitimate issues that would really cost me more at the dealer? Thanks Again.

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
OK, what a pain.

Dealership said $95 and after they had it a few days they say $700. Claim that the instrument cluster is fried & it wont communicate with their computers. Said we need a new instrument cluster.

I had some questions I thought someone might know the answer to.

1. When we would put the key in the ignition, the cluster would come on, and when it would start, the tach would work then it would say immobilizer active. We could see mileage, turn signals etc. I think the dealership story is BS. What are the symptoms of a instrument cluster being fried like the dealer says?

2. OR, what can I do to confirm dealership story?

3. Would the immobilizer delete from Malone Tuning fix my problem?

4. Who else does the immobilizer delete? with quick turn around? (I really wanted to talk to Malone Tuning but there is no phone number)

Thanks everyone.

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
On Diesels that I am familiar with, the engine "Stop" or OFF is usually controlled by a fuel shutoff.

Is this how the immobilizer active shuts off the engine?

Would it be possible to drive it short distances (less than one mile, like on and off a trailer) by supplying 12V to some solenoid somewhere?

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Not easy to hotwire an 011.
Get an immo delete from a reputable source.
PM jetta,97 on the site. he does immo delete and other things too. He is extremely helpful and will walk you through this.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It all depend what is the problem, If you have key or cluster problem with Immo delete your car will run , but still have message in cluster"immobilizer active".

Best will be to check everything and see what really problem is, either ECu , Keys or cluster.
Do not trust to much to dealer, They like to take advantage of people.

Last edited:

dmp

TDI
15 Golf, 13 Golf (for sale)
Try to remove both battery terminals and touch them together for 10 seconds (the terminals on the car, both off the battery).

This discharges the capacitance in the system (have had issues communicating with clusters with known skc's and this fixed it).

If that doesn't work, also try to leave the key in the on posn for an hour (put a battery charger on it). This is an immobilizer system reset.

Both are worth a shot