What would you replace your TDI with????

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I was worried my '06 was going to be totaled with the semi tire carcass taking out the front end of the car so I started looking into options...

If buying new I would very seriously consider the Chevy Cruze Diesel along with a Jetta TDI and would probably go with the Chevy... I really enjoyed driving the car. But, I can't afford new so both of those are out the door anyhow...

In the used market I think I would look for another '06 Jetta first but would also consider a MK5 CR Jetta TDI, but I do not care much for the styling of the MK6 Jetta. I would also look at used Audi TDIs and used BMW 335d sedans and if I could find a 335d to fit my budget that would be the one I'd pull the trigger on!!!

Condition and necessary maintenance wouldn't bother me too much as it would allow me to write tech articles on the necessary repairs as I've done with my Jetta and my Duramax.

Finally I would also consider putting the money into getting a Duramax to swap into my '67 Camaro and daily drive it once again as it has been neglected for far to long and along those same lines putting a VM Motori V6 diesel or Duramax engine into my Tahoe would make it much more acceptable as a daily driver... With either of these options I wouldn't have a car payment and I would have a cool car or truck that is unique and gets high 20s to mid 30s MPG and that would be fine with me, especially with the money saved on car payment and 1 less vehicle to insure!!!

Maybe I'll sell the '06 and do the swap anyway!!! Anyone interested???

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Because I have wanted and FJ since 2007 when the came out... The only two reasons I got the TDI was fuel economy and practicality...these two have won out as I have a long highway commute of 160km daily and account for 90% of my driving...I am now reviewing the options to keep the TDI as my daily driver and getting an FJ as a hobby type/weekend doggie vehicle but the wife just doesn't support the idea of three vehicles in a house of two people :(
You had better hurry up and change her mind if you're looking to buy a new one:

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-t...tion-ending-after-2014-model-year-396881.html

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
After 23 VW's in my life time, I would get a VOLVO. I love the Stationwagons. I never had one B4, so - it's time for me to do so!

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Since I have three it would have to be a pretty dramatic event to lose all of them. I guess burning my garage would do the job. But I'd consider a 2.slow Jetta S with a manual, or a GTI.
2.slow or GTI? Those are opposite ends of the spectrum! ;)

I think I'd have to build what I'm after; not sure if it's time to tell everyone that I just picked up a W8 Passat wagon with a blown motor though... :cool:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I recently read an article on Marketwatch.com about research that showed that BMW drivers are the most likely to be jerks!
Especially the ones delivering Jamaican food...

My wife's 2003 TDI wagon suffered a turbo runaway, so until I'm able to find a nice used engine, I started the process of picking up... another 2003 TDI wagon...

Yuri

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I would look at a Cruze diesel, but probably go for a TDI Passat. If I were feeling flush in the wallet, I might go for a TDI Touareg or even Porsche Cayenne TDI, and get rid of my Duramax pickup truck in the process.

Skoda Octavia

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
After two years, 67,000 miles, HPFP/fuel system replacement (under warranty at 61k) I am seriously considering the new Ford Transit Connect Wagon, long wheelbase with the 1.6L ecoboost. I am just running out of space in my car. At this point when I have all my samples in the car I need the rear seats folded, no room to pick up the kids at school, practice etc. When I put a Thule box on top the mileage drops to 34-36 mpg. I would definitely need another "fun car" to have along with this, old Miata 5 speed.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
The Inside Matters, Too

I did like the Ford Focus wagon I rented; little to cyclon-like in the interior, but decent mileage.
Subaru Forrester?
One of the things I really like about the current JSW is its interior. I also like the Ford on the outside, but the interior is a real turn-off for me. The JSW generally has the functionality I want with controls where they are supposed to be. Surprisingly few cars do that with decent aesthetics at an affordable price.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
I'd probably do a three year lease on a Mazda 6 Skyactiv (diesel if it gets here) and then pick up a 2016 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, maybe a six speed (moms car..) Would also consider a BMW 328d xDrive wagon, and maybe a Mercedes GLK 2.1 litre Bluetec (not an suv fan, just to sample the powertrain).

Last edited:

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
It would be hard not to get a TDI again - Jetta, Golf or Passat.

But if you could wait the BMW 328d and Mazda6 diesel they would be nice to test drive. The 328d will have 180hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque which seems like the sweet spot for performance and mpg albeit with a bigger price tag.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
I've been hearing that Mazda has been having some problems with short trips on the diesel 6, with supposedly intense crankcase dilution from active dpf regens, and/or post combustion diesel injection to warm up the dpf (?). Apparently some in Europe are having oil overfill problems.. Mazda came out with a revised dipstick (...) and told owners to check oil levels every 600 miles and to change their oils every 1200 miles until a more appropriate (sane) fix is available. :eek::eek:

Just read this in the last hour
http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6...4345-2014-mazda6-diesel-serious-problems.html
Meanwhile their Speedsource Grand-Am GX race cas are on a seven win streak! (albeit against one non factory backed Porsche Cayman).

Last edited:

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
Toyota Yaris SE. Small cheap hatchback with decent fuel economy and rock solid reliability. If my Golf gives me any more grief this will be my new ride.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I've been hearing that Mazda has been having some problems with short trips on the diesel 6, with supposedly intense crankcase dilution from active dpf regens, and/or post combustion diesel injection to warm up the dpf (?). Apparently some in Europe are having oil overfill problems.. Mazda came out with a revised dipstick (...) and told owners to check oil levels every 600 miles and to change their oils every 1200 miles until a more appropriate (sane) fix is available. :eek::eek:

Just read this in the last hour
http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6...4345-2014-mazda6-diesel-serious-problems.html
Meanwhile their Speedsource Grand-Am GX race cas are on a seven win streak! (albeit against one non factory backed Porsche Cayman).
Wow, for me that's an oil change ever 2.5 weeks. Could the dealers even keep up with the demand? I hope it's just oil and not filter, so they could quickly suck out the old oil with a vacuum extractor and put in new oil. I assume they too will need special oil for the DPF. One of the things int the + column when I bought the TDI was 15k km oil changes. It was supposed to be the car that would minimize trips to the garage, either for maintenance or fuel. Well it hasn't quite worked out that way for the maintenance and repair part...

It does show though that VW's experience with diesels does count for something in spite of HPFP fails and IC icing issues...

Toyota Yaris SE. Small cheap hatchback with decent fuel economy and rock solid reliability. If my Golf gives me any more grief this will be my new ride.
I've made the same reflection, but it leads me to a Honda Fit instead, which is better suited to swallowing my road bikes and is, I think, a tad sportier. Having driven both the Fit and the Yaris (previous generation), I like the Fit much better and it also is reliable.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I test drove a Prius V model 3 this week. Same class as a JSW, slightly less acceleration, more storage, More legroom, similar price, same mileage (cheaper fuel too $$ per mile less), reliable manufacturer, no $800.00 DSG oil changes, oil you can buy anywhere, A/C that works, bluetooth that works, no leaking roof drains, windshield wipers you can get anywhere, dealers more places ( I can't say that they are better or not, but look at what we have now).

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I test drove a Prius V model 3 this week. Same class as a JSW, slightly less acceleration, more storage, More legroom, similar price, same mileage (cheaper fuel too $$ per mile less), reliable manufacturer, no $800.00 DSG oil changes, oil you can buy anywhere, A/C that works, bluetooth that works, no leaking roof drains, windshield wipers you can get anywhere, dealers more places ( I can't say that they are better or not, but look at what we have now).
This is a pretty funny post......

diezel

TDI
2010 Candy White SportWagen
The Prius V recently flunked one the newer "small overlap" crash tests: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-toyota-camry-prius-v-get-poor-crash-rating-in-new-test.html
(To be fair, the JSW has not been subjected to this newer test.)
And I don't care how reliable it is because it is one of the ugliest vehicles to come along since the Pontiac Aztek.
I'm still enjoying my 2010 JSW at 37,000 miles. Death, or a Rest Home, before I am seen in any Toyota. (And if I could drive anything else right now it would be a 2014 Audi A6 TDI that does 60 in less than 6 seconds and gets 38 MPG Highway.)

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
Without a doubt the JSW is prettier, drives "better", has better acceleration, handles better, is more prone to expensive breakdown (HPFP etc), has crap for an A/C system, Has leaky Plano roof drains, has crap for door and rear lid latches, expensive maintenance schedule and lubricants derived from gold or platinum, and is a p,easure to drive and getting to be irritating to own and maintain.
Perhaps I am irritated by being on a trip when the trunk latch decided to not latch. I assume that this is a fairly common failure because the VW dealer had plenty. $100.00 later I have repllaced the latch and on my way.
I have never before had to replace a door or trunk or lift gate latch!
I have never before had to reseal ALL of the roof drains.
I have never before had to replace an RCV to get the A/C to work.
I just bought $250.00 of oil and filters to change engine and DSG oil.
Thank god I can do it myself! I am just getting tired of having to do it myself or buy the darned car all over with maintenance cost over the life of the thing.
I have an 11 year old 2002 original Prius. The next repair will be the first.
Dead relaible, but my wife doesn't care for it and she loves the VW, but then she doesn't have to work on it either. She also doesn't tyhink about how mch it costs or would cost to have the dealer work on the myriad of things that need attention from time to time. She will tell me when she thinks something is not right with HER car. She is usually right it just takes a while to figure out what it is THIS time.
I bought the Vag-Com to be able to trouble shoot it ($250) and it is worth every penny.
If no disaster overtakes it you can probably get high miles out of it, but they will not be the lowest cost miles. The Prius V is probably a better bet if you need the space and the performance is acceptable.
The fuel cost is even lower (similar MPG cheaper fuel).
Maintenance cost much less and fluids much cheaper and easier to obtain.
More space and knee room in the back.
Working bluetooth and A/C.
Other than that it is not as pretty, fast, or snappy.
Pesrsonally I am interesten in long term operating cost since I usually drive a car until it is ready for the scrap yard.
Vehicles owned:
Willys Overland station wagon - 1959 Miles ? 16 MPG
Chevy Surburban -1990 -Miles -127,000 13 MPG
Toyota Prius - 2002 Miles 165,000 46 MPG
VW JSW TDI - 2009 - Miles 168,000 38 MPG More time and money spent on it than ALL of the others!
Oh Yeah - I forgot the 120,000 timing belt replacements at $$$$. The prius had a double row chain no replacement until overhaul.
Also if you want to know the reliability of a car check the prices for the parts in a junk yard or ebay. If the parts are high there is a demand for them. If there is no demand for replacements then they are cheap. Prius parts are cheap! No demand for replacement engines because few people need them.
VW engines have always been in demand because people DO need them.
Thank GOD for this and other forums like it. At least we can share the experiences and fixes. If not for this I don't know what I would do.
Life with VW would be much much more difficult!

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well at least the crappy A/C isn't an issue for me, I rarely use it except to assist with defogging the windows. I prefer open sunroof, and right rear partially open window. Fantastic ventilation, not too noisy.

That said I'm with you on general PITA issues. So far our 13 Golf Wagon is flawless after about 18k km. My 2011 Golf though. Oh my, what a piece of crap (so much for the theory that German-made VWs are better). Apart from the IC issue, suspension bushings, and two stuck rear brake calipers, I have an on-going loss of power during hard acceleration issue, that VW is attempting to fix for the third time, the first one being replacing the HPFP! Last time it happened, I was passing a farm tractor on a two-lane road, was in second gear, nailed it, and when I was right beside the tractor with on-coming traffic looming ahead, pffftttt.... sudden total power loss. Backed off, and it picked up again.

As we speak a VW technical team is getting organized to come to my dealer to try to figure out what the heck is going on. To their credit VW have now started to take the issue seriously. Both the second and third time they picked up the tab for all the work and provided me with a free loaner (not a bad one this time too: a 2.5 Golf Wagon comfortline with media/bluetooth).

I may get to play the "what would you replace your TDI with" exercise sooner than later. There's a very good chance that this will end up as a VW buy-back. It's been moved up the food chain at VW Canada, and they actually won't let me have my car back until this is sorted, because they consider it unsafe to drive.

I need/want another hatchback so the choices at the moment are looking like a Golf in one of its various forms. I like the Wolfsburg edition as a package so it's either, in order of preference:

1) GTI Wolfsburg
2) Golf TDI Wolfsburg... yes I know, but my wife's 2013 is flawless so far...
3) Golf 2.5 Wolfsburg (cheapest, but low resale).

VW Canada asked if I was not open to having my car fixed, and I replied that I was, on one condition: they positively identified the cause and it's something obvious like a stuck EGR valve or incorrectly installed intercooler kit, or an obvious defect in the traction control module or something similar.

Most of my VWs have been pretty reliable to date, except our 2005 Passat with 255k km on it has had a few "old car" issues with suspension control arms, CV joints, steering rack, all occurring above 200k km, with the exception of the pro-active BSM module replacement. My 2007 had nothing but the odd TSB, done during scheduled maintenance.

But they have been nowhere near as reliable as the 1st gen Honda Odyssey that I sent to the junk yard last week: 15 years, 290k km. Only "serious" issue other than old car stuff (exhaust, suspension bushings, etc.), was a failed distributor cap at around 280k km. Yes it was a dog to drive: gutless, no torque and fairly thirsty even with the VTEC 4-cyl, because I think the engine was overtaxed.

So if there can't be a satisfactory resolution with VW, I will likely migrate back to Honda. My wife says to get a sedan if I can't find a suitable hatch, and use her wagon whenever I need to haul my bikes... so a new Accord is on my list; $24990, 6-speed manual, 17" alloys, back-up camera, and the usual power accessories and I like the look of the new generation Accords.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Everyone has their own experiences with their cars, and I think that you're going to get more complaints than praise for these cars here because people who frequent this site do, in part, to find help in fixing problems. So to even out the scale:

• '98 Jetta, bought at 118K, driven by my son for 120K through high school and college. Delivered pizza in it for 5 years. Routine maintenance only (clutch, alternator, starter, glow plugs, timing belt) and some rust repair last summer. This car has been dead reliable despite indifferent treatment and maintenance by a new driver. Summer before last he drove it 10K in six weeks to CA and back, trouble free except for filling it with gasoline in Wisconsin. 30 minutes with JasonTDI and he was back on the road.

• '00 Golf, bought with a failed timing belt and busted head, repaired and driven by my younger son for the past 5 years. He's an aggressive driver, hard on cars, and aside from an alternator and issues with parking brake cables, this car has been reliable, only needing an alternator until recently, when the PO's haphazard repairs and my son's tendency to bump into things have caught up with us. Despite this, I fully expect he'll be able to drive this car for the next two years or until he finishes school.

• '02 Jetta wagon, IBW. Bought new, 281K miles, lots of mods and many parts replaced, but it's got 281K on it. And it's been making twice stock power for the last 120K miles, done many track days, over 80 dyno pulls, you name it. Still delivers 45 MPG and 700 mile tanks like clockwork. Only stranded me once in 11 years with a failed lift pump. Everything works. I have bought 4 cars to replace IBW thinking it would wear out, and it's still my daily. It's showing a little rust on the tailgate and rockers after 11 New England winters, but is still under the rust repair warranty and will be repaired this fall. Still tight and rattle free, quiet, handles great. And it's faster than any TDI I've ever driven.
Long story short, TDIs have been very good to our family. My son drove our B4 up to Nova Scotia two weeks ago, covered close to 2K in a week, and all I did before he left was check tires and fluid levels. And that car has 258K on it. Keep after them and they'll provide long, reliable service, and the cost per mile is pretty low.

Jack@VW

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI DSG
I would replace my Golf TDI again with a Golf TDI or a GTI depending on the deal I get.

Last edited:
TDI
2011 JSW
Honda Fit - close to the same room and the cost would equate (more for gas but less for maintenance)

In a perfect world a new passat wagon diesel or that Nissan with the Cummins (My mind is blown that that's gonna exist)

If I didn't care about mileage a Subaru

I wouldn't touch a Cruze but if the Mazda 6 wagon came diesel it'd be a contender.

emus528

Veteran Member
TDI
See sig
4WD. DIESEL. STANDARD SHIFT.
At this time you can only get 2 out 3 in the states. Hopefully VAG will have all 3 available when I need a new ride. I "compromised" and got a '13 Golf with a stick and made a TDI syncro vanagon.

New BMWs, even if they will eventually offer all 3, are just to pricey for me.