Looking into a 2013 VW Passat TDI

nerushan5

TDI
Nothing
I'm looking into buying a 2013 VW Passat TDI. What should I be aware of when buying this car?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I had a lot of issues with our 2013 TDI SEL. I put a lot of money into it and it only had 60k miles on it at turn in Tuesday.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm looking into buying a 2013 VW Passat TDI. What should I be aware of when buying this car?

They have had some turbocharger issues and DEF tank heater issues, both got warranty extensions but it may be out already mileage wise. Nice cars, nothing like them available from other brands, and nothing like them available anymore from Volkswagen.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL, and it has been a great car. Bought new in July '13, just turned 50K. Despite the caveats, the only problem we have had was an NOx sensor go bad under warranty. We'd keep it long-term, but the terms of the buyback are just too attractive, so we'll turn it in at the end of 2018. This car carries, of course, the turbocharger, DEF heater, and heater core extended 10/120 warranties.....

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
You should be aware that they do not meet the BS EPA standards (somehow a 8 mpg F-350 quad cab dually diesel does but I digress) and that VW is either fixing them or buying the car back via class action lawsuit.
Even given that this forum represents avid TDI fans the majority of us are getting rid of the car.

For some, the deal is just too good to pass up. Others are concerned about the build quality of the car. Common build issues include multiple covered recalls, turbo failures ($5k), adblue heater element failures ($1K), high pressure fuel pump failures($5k+), and cabin heater failures($1k).

Then there's the matter of VW dealership service. You need to find a trusted independent mechanic before you buy the car. Taking the car to VW for anything besides warranty work might as well be strictly forbidden. We would be complimenting most dealers by simply calling them incompetent.

I've had a VW diesel for 17 years and I'm getting rid of my '13 Passat. You REALLY need to be in love with the car to be looking at one of these right now.

Last edited:

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I just turned in a pristine 2013 Passat TDI. It was a great car and as said, nothing on the market compares in terms of drive-ability, fuel economy, and room. We had only one issue, and it was with the AdBlue injection system which was covered under warranty.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
You should be aware that they do not meet the BS EPA standards (somehow a 8 mpg F-350 quad cab dually diesel does but I digress) and that VW is either fixing them or buying the car back via class action lawsuit.
Even given that this forum represents avid TDI fans the majority of us are getting rid of the car.

For some, the deal is just too good to pass up. Others are concerned about the build quality of the car. Common build issues include multiple covered recalls, turbo failures ($5k), adblue heater element failures ($1K), high pressure fuel pump failures($5k+), and cabin heater failures($1k).

Then there's the matter of VW dealership service. You need to find a trusted independent mechanic before you buy the car. Taking the car to VW for anything besides warranty work might as well be strictly forbidden. We would be complimenting most dealers by simply calling them incompetent.

I've had a VW diesel for 17 years and I'm getting rid of my '13 Passat. You REALLY need to be in love with the car to be looking at one of these right now.
There is no justification for either of these statements, unless you can post some numbers.
No way to know what percentage of owners are returning their cars.
Also, HPFP failures with the NMS Passat are extremely rare.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

Common build issues include <snip> high pressure fuel pump failures($5k+), and cabin heater failures($1k).
Perhaps the majority of TDI's are indeed going to be bought back but they will be Jetta/Golf models which outnumber the Passat. I would guess less Passat owners will be doing the buyback compared to those who own a Jetta/Golf. After all it is easier to find a comparable sized replacement for the Jetta/Golf which is not the case for the Passat.

Add in the fact the Jetta/Golf models do have the HPFP failures well documented while it is relatively uncommon on the Passat. I admit the HPFP issue was a factor in why I bought a Passat over a Jetta/Golf. I grant you the Passat has heater core failures but those should be covered under warranty now as mine was. (Yes, I know early examples were not covered under warranty but believe VW also [partially] reimbursed those affected owners who chose to follow up on same after the repair.)

Some of us are comfortable with keeping our TDI's, some no longer want to deal with the potential and/or real issues and others are simply taking the money if the numbers make sense. Don't lump all of us in the same boat just yet. Once the buyback period ends then we will know better who has stuck with a TDI and who has opted out of one - until then, it is just speculation on what the "majority" will do.

Sorry you have had problems with your TDI going by your sour tone - best of luck to you with whatever you do!

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
Look at my Join Date. I'm not some Johnny Come Lately troll to VW TDI's. Of the 4 people I know well who own TDI's, all are planning on returning them. While anecdotal, I'll stand by my comment that the majority will return them.

I have really enjoyed driving manual VW diesels for almost 17 years. They are very nice cars to drive and get excellent fuel economy. For somebody like me who "buys and holds" the TDI has been an excellent choice for economics vs enjoyment. I'd still have the A4 if my family fit in it better. But the B7 has been a mess in terms of build quality.

VW is essentially offering me ability drive the Passat for 5 years and then return it for $2k less than I paid for it. If they want it that bad they can have it. Knowing this car and comparing it to my bulletproof A4 there remains no doubt in my mind that will not have the same longevity despite having updated technology onboard.

It is because of all the issues I've previously mentioned that I recommended that the OP consider looking elsewhere. How many of you would recommend the OP buy one of these used and then allow a "professional" at a VW dealer to service it? Without the help and advice I've received over the years from members here the VW would have cost me a lot more to drive. And, since Oilhammer has stubbornly refused to uproot his family and move to SE Florida just to service my car I'm done. But it's been fun and I have absolutely no regrets.

Last edited:

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
How many of you would recommend the OP buy one of these used and then allow a "professional" at a VW dealer to service it?
I sure would. VW is extending warranties left and right to try to keep owners happy.

Give up my '13 Passat TDI? No chance. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Keeping mine too, my join date is late because I drove IDI's (pre tdi) vw's and was over at vwdieselparts hangin with the old crew :D
If you keep yours, plan on doing some hands on stuff no doubt!

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
It is because of all the issues I've previously mentioned that I recommended that the OP consider looking elsewhere. How many of you would recommend the OP buy one of these used and then allow a "professional" at a VW dealer to service it? Without the help and advice I've received over the years from members here the VW would have cost me a lot more to drive. And, since Oilhammer has stubbornly refused to uproot his family and move to SE Florida just to service my car I'm done. But it's been fun and I have absolutely no regrets.
This is true, but i look on the flip side of all this, Vw actually offered me more than what i paid for my passat two years ago. But after 2 years and 60,000 trouble free miles i am going to take the 5-6 grand plus the grand of extra money they have already given me and keep on driving along. the HPFP seems to be overblown, the adblue tank can be fixed for $10 bucks and some time. The only issue i have had is my 02 sensor which just needs to be replaced... but the cars continues to motor on, i'll fix it some day when a cheap parts car shows up. I am lucky that i have an excellent guru nearby and great minds on this board who arent going to abandon this vehicle.

I think everyone seriously needs to chill out a bit, it seems everyone is getting to the point where they believe their decision is the best one and they need validation that everyone should do the same as them. Everyone's situation is different... Yes some have definitely received lousy cars and want to be done, i understand that, but its always been that way. I recall many of the a4 people thought the runaways and blown turbos, and clogged mainfolds made it the worse car ever. Then the next gen thought the cams would doom every single car vw produced. Both were overblown. Yes, i am bummed some will be leaving but am grateful there will still be plenty of us on here to discuss topics in the future.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^Well put. I'm NOT happy to leave VAG, and the collective wisdom of TCIClub, but the money offered was too good, and I just didn't want to deal with VW specific issues.
Yes, I'm taking my chances with: Toyota, Ford, and Nissan. YIKES:...gotta deal with THREE manufacturers' issues!!!!!!!!!!!

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
We're keeping the '13 SEL and turning in the '14 SE. The '13 has had zero problems since new and is just too good to let go. The '14 is my favorite albeit a bad heater core. It's just that economics dictated that I sell it back as I'm being offered $5k more that I paid for it.

Replacement is already here... A new Tiguan SEL. Maybe a bit thirsty, but a really nice ride. Excellent manners in all conditions including snow and slush. Very comfortable and quiet. My wife loves it.

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
I have a 2013 with a bad heater core and the dealer says its NOT covered. Estimate is $450. Maybe run the VIN and see if your potential purchase is covered.