camshaft inspection with boroscope through oil cap?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Is this possible?

I have a new amazon inspection camera and was thinking about trying to look at the camshaft lobes through the oil cap....

Peter

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Don't waste your time. It's no trouble at all removing the valve cover. Gasket is reuseable.

DonsJetta

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
Yes, ditto. Don't waste your time with borescope. The lens will end up covered with black oil and you will not see anything. Remove valve cover, inspect, clean oil off gasket surfaces, replace and tighten... A better use would be through glow plug hole depending on scope diameter...

DonsJetta

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
How was the cam and lifters? Is your scope small enough to poke inside the glow plug hole?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You won't be able to manipulate a scope to inspect all the lobes and even if you could you would spend more time trying than it takes to R&R the valve cover.

tsimon325

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Auto
How was the cam and lifters?
NFG (no flippin' good). Obvious major wear on the lobes, and at least 1 obviously dished lifter. Only 126K miles on the clock, too. BRM cams are junk from the factory I guess. I just placed an order for a Colt stage 2 cam and deluxe instal kit, and timing belt kit from KermaTDI

There goes Christmas :eek: LOL!

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wasn't able to see past the lobe closest to the oil filler access with the scope camera.

Car is at the shop today, going to get professionals to diagnose my p0234 code....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Turns out to be the N75 valve....

Maybe it was sticky under high boost situations and not reacting properly.

I do remember when doing the output tests on vcds, it would only cycle between mid 60% and 100%...i was thinking the 60 number was a bit high... Some reading on the forum indicates that maybe a number in the 20-40 might be more reasonable.

I still don't really understand how the valve can apply part vacuum.... Is it supposed to cycle of full on and off rapidly to adjust vacuum to the actuator, or is it more like a faucet and varies the size of the opening....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk