Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I found a 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel for sale near me has 30k miles and they want $12k for it. From what I read, plus the tuning opportunities, sounds like it could be a great car. I think I'm moving to a grand cherokee but I really don't want to give my JSW up (and its MPG) but the buyback is too good to pass up. I wish the cruze came in a wagon. Not sure I could survive with a sedan.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Saw a breakdown of the new Cruze diesel today and it has a timing chain instead of a belt.

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
I found a 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel for sale near me has 30k miles and they want $12k for it. From what I read, plus the tuning opportunities, sounds like it could be a great car. I think I'm moving to a grand cherokee but I really don't want to give my JSW up (and its MPG) but the buyback is too good to pass up. I wish the cruze came in a wagon. Not sure I could survive with a sedan.
I have two 2015 Cruze Diesels, it is a great car. That 2014 with 30k miles at $12K is worth looking at. My second car bought used had about 45K miles, according to records had only preventative maintenance on the engine, and some minor issue with the driver door locking mechanism. The other bought new has had some emissions items replaced under warranty, but has been a great car. Last I hear GM is not going to have another Cruze Diesel until 2018 now, 2017 will see a diesel equinox (estimated to get about 40MPG), perhaps that would fit the station wagon demand you desire.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The diesel version of the new Equinox will be a delayed introduction - it will surely also be model year 2018. Even the regular one has not started production yet and it will be a few more weeks before it does.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
GM always said the diesel Equinox was going to be a 2018, from what I read. Not sure what you mean by delay.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
IIRC, the Equinox diesel was announced as a 2018 model but available Q2 2017. So a few months early.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
GM always said the diesel Equinox was going to be a 2018, from what I read. Not sure what you mean by delay.
Not available at launch of the new model - the diesel version will come a few months later. Delayed introductions of lower-volume model configurations is pretty common - hit the mass market first and do the special models later.

bmercer

TDI
2004 & 2002 Jetta
Wonder why Chevy don't offer the 2.0 diesel of the old cruze in the Malibu?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
GM is testing the waters here. Better not to commit to too much. Cruze and Equinox are both D2XX platform vehicles and they use the same front subframe. Malibu is different.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Don't know. Equinox is on a new platform for 2018, don't know if GMC is also making the switch.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
GM is testing the waters here. Better not to commit to too much. Cruze and Equinox are both D2XX platform vehicles and they use the same front subframe. Malibu is different.
The Malibu offered a scaled down Volt type hybrid last year. Not sure if it is offered for 2017. GM is very much testing the market response with a full range of alternative power trains. They offer diesel, hybrid, and full EV - take your pick and see what the market wants.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
You can call me PENT UP DEMAND for the stickshift Cruze Diesel. I owned four VW TDIs previously. I'll take Cruze Diesel in either hatch or sedan, preferably hatch. Looks like no heated-steering-wheel from factory with stickshift Cruze diesel, but maybe heated wheel can be swapped in similar to how previous-gen Cruze cruise-control-steering-wheel could be swapped in.

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Pricing for Cruze Diesel announced

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1107672_chevrolet-prices-diesel-cruze-from-24670#src=10065
December 7, 2016
Chevrolet says that opting for its new diesel-fueled Cruze sedan over the gasoline model will add about $3,000 to the bottom line, bringing the price of entry to $24,670.
That's the list price for a 2017 Cruze LT with the automaker's 1.6-liter turbodiesel engine and a 6-speed manual gearbox, and it includes a mandatory $875 destination charge. For now, the Cruze diesel is only available in the mid-level LT trim level and as a sedan, but a diesel Cruze hatchback is on the way for the 2018 model year. The Cruze diesel actually builds on the gas-fueled Cruze LT with the optional RS appearance package, which runs $21,720 with the standard manual transmission.
MORE: Read our review of the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze
Opting for the available 9-speed automatic transmission adds $2,000 to the Cruze diesel. A leather package adds another $1,125, and as its name implies, it includes leather upholstery.
From there, the Cruze LT diesel with the automatic (but not the manual) can be further equipped with the Sun/Sound/Confidence package that includes a moonroof, a Bose audio system, and safety tech like automatic emergency braking. All told, the priciest 2017 Cruze diesel will sticker for $29,950.
DON'T MISS: Details on the Cruze diesel
That's by no means chump change, but it's not far off of the premium Volkswagen charged for its turbodiesel Jetta over the standard gas-only model. However, VW says it has exited the diesel market here in the United States after it admitted to cheating the EPA's emissions test.
Chevy says that the diesel Cruze sedan will go on sale early next year, with the 2018 hatchback variant following later in the calendar year.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
And the best part....50 mpg. So I've heard anyhow.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't hate that. Surprised to see a manual here. That's a big plus.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I did not like the view from the drivers seat of the older generation Cruze. Poor visibility. Same issue with the Volt.
From what I hear, the new Cruze/Volt is not much better in the visibility department.

I will take a look at the diesel Cruze as soon as local dealers have stock and to a test drive. Might be worth getting as a daily driver to replace the Camry next year. Price does not seem out of line.

That said, a long time car guy friend is totally sold on the Volt concept. He leased a 1st Gen Volt for 3 years and spent like $30 on maintenance. He purchased a second generation Volt, before he turned in the first one. Think I like the Volt Concept over the Bolt/Tesla concept of an electric car.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
He's not wrong. I haven't driven the new Cruze, but I've had the old one (not diesel, but the chassis is the same) as a rental.

I did a test: Drive all the way from my hotel to the job site with only one finger on the steering wheel. It was possible. That's a failure.

It doesn't require a full redesign to fix this ... just recalibration.

The manual transmission in a Spark (old one, haven't driven the new one) is a vague, rubbery mess. Memo to GM: You CAN have a front-drive manual transmission with a decent shift linkage. VW's manual shifters are decent but they aren't the best. Try out any Honda with a manual transmission. Or a Fiat 500.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I went to look at the gas models of the Cruze yesterday. That helped me decide if the interiors, seats, exteriors, colors, and options are okay before the diesel comes out. They said to give them a a thousand dollars and 6 weeks and they will build it just they way I like it and deliver it to the dealership. When has VW ever done that?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Excellent. Back to '02. EPA sticker on my Jetta Wagon was 50 Highway.

Yes, I know. Different measurements, different emissions standards. If they get 50 now it's impressive.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Don't know. Equinox is on a new platform for 2018, don't know if GMC is also making the switch.
From the mix of chevy Equinox, GMC, and Caddy SUVs I saw on the same trucks before Christmas, I would say yes. All of them looked to be on the new platform. That is supposed to be on the lots now as a 2017 with the diesel coming in a few months (press stated Q2) as an early 2018.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Wow, myturbodiesel.com-forum members are now mostly made up of tdi Cruzers.

I hope and pray that VW sees the light and doesn't give up the market to GM.