CEL and "Glow Plugs improperly installed" code

Last Mango

TDI
2012 TDI DSG Sportwagen - Navigation, Panoramic sunroof
2012 TDI Sportwagen with 76,000 miles.
No engine work other than regular oil, fuel filter etc.

Check Engine light came on 2 weeks ago, but engine started and ran fine.
Mechanic pulled codes for "Glow Plug improperly installed" on 3 of the 4 glow plugs. He cleared codes and said keep an eye on it. CEL went off. 2 weeks and 700 miles later, no returned light.

Strange.

Any recommendations other than wait and see if it happens again?

Cheers,
James

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
To funny. What is a "glow plug improperly installed" code? I really doubt if their is such a code. What was the actual code number they pulled?

Sounds like the mechanic was just blowing smoke up your ass............

Last Mango

TDI
2012 TDI DSG Sportwagen - Navigation, Panoramic sunroof
Ironically, a week after the CEL and codes, the car battery died with no warning. I replaced it. No CEL's or issues since the one time. Maybe it was just a car battery. Hope that's it.

I don't have the code #. The mechanic hooked up a laptop, and did a printout. I saw the printout, and by recollection, that's what it said. I will contact them and get the code number, and confirm terminology.

The mechanic worked at VW for years, but left to start his own shop a couple years ago. Who knows if his software is correct.

The forum is a great resource, thanks guys.

Cheers,
James

bagmite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I've had a couple check engine lights in the past month. The first I just cleared. Popped up again yesterday and this morning I took it to Mike Hevner (known as Hevster here - great guy) and with the Vag-Com he saw the same code description - glow plug improperly installed. He did not give me the actual code numbers but he was surprised at the description as well. Was not blowing smoke. Pulled and reseated the connectors and suggested I run the car and see if it comes back. I'll have to watch the battery thing as well.

kvnwhite75

TDI
2012 Jetta premium
Same code

2012 Jetta tdi 73k, CEL came on hooked up VCDS and two faults cylinder 1,2 improper glow plug installation

2012 TDI Sportwagen with 76,000 miles.
No engine work other than regular oil, fuel filter etc.
Check Engine light came on 2 weeks ago, but engine started and ran fine.
Mechanic pulled codes for "Glow Plug improperly installed" on 3 of the 4 glow plugs. He cleared codes and said keep an eye on it. CEL went off. 2 weeks and 700 miles later, no returned light.
Strange.
Any recommendations other than wait and see if it happens again?
Cheers,
James

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I DID have glow plugs improperly installed and they trashed my engine. No codes were ever thrown. The tip of one of the plugs broke off and went into the combustion chamber to bounce around and score the top of the piston and the cylinder wall.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I DID have glow plugs improperly installed and they trashed my engine. No codes were ever thrown. The tip of one of the plugs broke off and went into the combustion chamber to bounce around and score the top of the piston and the cylinder wall.
Who did the installation?