Dpf delete and exhaust pipes

Daviemuk90

TDI
Golf mk6 tdi
Hello fellow tdi forum folk, how is everyone?.
I'm new to working on cars, driven them since I was a youngster but never thought about ever working on my own vehicle.
Have a 59 plate 2l tdi 110cr mk6 golf 110cr and shes been a star with very few problems over the last 3 years I've had her.
Question is, I'm looking to try fixing an entire exhaust system, though dont really have the funds to do the whole lot in one go, but thinking on increments. Is there any great suggestions about what companies are great for TDI engines, compatabilities and if there would be any problems from doing exhaust systems in increments? Was thinking to start with a dpf flexi first, then straight pipe with decat then back box, or is there any better solutions?
Also thinking to get a stage 1 remap once the full exhaust is intact.
Many thanks for any suggestions

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Your car will run like garbage (if at all) if you remove the DPF without a tune. I would likely be stuck in permanent limp mode if the computer doesn't "see" the DPF. Malone tuning will write a delete tune for you (they are out of Canada so I dont see why they wouldn't ship to AUS but idk) but here in the states the tune itself can run upwards of 600usd. Good luck!

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
If you not near a tuner get a kess/ktag clone set on aliexpress and after you can shop anywhere in the world for a tune and install it yourself, after the tune find a cheap downpipe on ali as well, and you will save a ton of money compared to all these guys that love over spending.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
If you not near a tuner get a kess/ktag clone set on aliexpress and after you can shop anywhere in the world for a tune and install it yourself, after the tune find a cheap downpipe on ali as well, and you will save a ton of money compared to all these guys that love over spending.
I tried searching for a downpipe. "cjaa downpipe" nothing. "2014 tdi exhaust downpipe" again nothing. Well some kind of pipe for smoking drugs but I'm not interested.

So my question is what search did you use?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
That's odd
When I google 2014 tdi exhaust downpipe, i find plenty of great things, videos, rawtechs website with the product right there. Maybe you should try actually searching.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you get what you pay for
if you have a $500 car, sure, toss whatever garbage you can find
seeing as how this car is actually worth a darn, putting cheap crap will always result in cheap crap
quality parts exist for 4 reasons, better materials, better quality control, more R&D, and actual care was put into it.

your cheap tune and qali express tin can parts have no business going on a car that you would actually care about.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
That's odd
When I google 2014 tdi exhaust downpipe, i find plenty of great things, videos, rawtechs website with the product right there. Maybe you should try actually searching.
Try searching in aliexpress for a downpipe.

I have no doubt that Rawtek makes a good product. But they want $599 USD for a down pipe. Rawtek is in Canada and I live in Canada. That means with exchange just the downpipe costs me right around $800. To me that price is ridiculous for a product that maybe costs them $200 to build. I don't need a gold plated product. I just want a decently priced downpipe.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
you get what you pay for
if you have a $500 car, sure, toss whatever garbage you can find
seeing as how this car is actually worth a darn, putting cheap crap will always result in cheap crap
quality parts exist for 4 reasons, better materials, better quality control, more R&D, and actual care was put into it.
your cheap tune and qali express tin can parts have no business going on a car that you would actually care about.
It is obvious from your biased statement that you never had a close look at those chinese pipes, they actually have a nicer fit and finish than most, tig welded stainless an polished for a show car. And as for tunes I doubt you know the difference between one or another. Just because you like to get bend over doesn't mean everyone else does......
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=130539&title=down-pipe-and-mileage&cat=500

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
$500+ for a downpipe is highway robbery. Profidiesel in Hungary? sells high quality 300 series stainless commonrail downpipes for half that.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
$159 USD for the down pipe. Not bad price. Shipping to Canada $198.15 USD from China. Something stinks here but ok. Roughly $470 CAD for a down pipe. Things are improving price wise. Still plenty high though.
yeah i thought it used to be cheaper for shipping, maybe it includes virus cleaning. Maybe pm them see if they have cheaper shipping option

Clawdog60

TDI
12 jetta sport wagen
pipe

$159 USD for the down pipe. Not bad price. Shipping to Canada $198.15 USD from China. Something stinks here but ok. Roughly $470 CAD for a down pipe. Things are improving price wise. Still plenty high though.

I would be surprised if you would ever receive it.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
I have bought one from there before without any trouble, delivered right to my doorstep with fedex

Clawdog60

TDI
12 jetta sport wagen
My concern about the difference would be 304 over 409 stainless. 304 a better grade of SS and being better against developing cracks or other failures. In other words how many miles can be expected from one of these systems over the other.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5 things you will see from cheap crap like this is
A: welds make with non stainless filler rod or just tiged with no filler (epic rust and cracktown for you)
B. not real stainless, a semi stainless or polished nickle coating is very typical on these. no way on earth its real 304 stainless for that price
C. EPICLY THIN WALLED TUBE. when tube is bent, it shrinks and twists making the already thin chinesium even thinner and that leads to failure especially on welded joints on the cut bent sections.
D: poor fitment from mass production and generic jigs that are treated poorly over time, and very poor cutouts at the joints.
E: non purged welds, if it is stainless, it must be purged so that the weldes do not crystalize on the inside of the pipe.

reasons why most quality exhaust systems are so expensive,
time was taken to product a quality product with more materials and proper fitment that will last.
Not saying that you cant get some duds with costly parts. i just returned a Delkevic exhaust system for my ex500 05 Ninja. it had a clunk of metal left behind in the 2into1 section that came loose causing a rattle. but the seller was 10/10 about it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Some of the Chinese stuff is quite good these days. It's similar to how Japanese made stuff had a reputation for being cheap crap 50 years ago- then suddenly they were making the best stuff. If the Chinese can build rockets that send rovers to Mars(they just did), they clearly have the capability to make top shelf products. They obviously make a lot of cheap junk too. Maybe the alibaba downpipe is junk, but I wouldn't let xenophobia cloud your judgement. The $250 european made 304 ss downpipe I linked to is good quality.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yes i agree with most of that, i don't think anyone has made an exhaust for automotive use that also has any connection to rocket science.
the one you linked looks decent.
as long as you know what your looking for in quality it really comes down to what you can afford realistically and for the application.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Some of the Chinese stuff is quite good these days. It's similar to how Japanese made stuff had a reputation for being cheap crap 50 years ago- then suddenly they were making the best stuff. If the Chinese can build rockets that send rovers to Mars(they just did), they clearly have the capability to make top shelf products. They obviously make a lot of cheap junk too. Maybe the alibaba downpipe is junk, but I wouldn't let xenophobia cloud your judgement. The $250 european made 304 ss downpipe I linked to is good quality.
My chinese one seems good too, no filler, nice tig job zero issues so far and magnet says it's stainless.

DasTurbo

TDI
1982 Pickup, 2014 Jetta
pipe

Thats a pretty Debby Downer response there bud. Im sure you have your preference with one of the companies who sponsors this website, and thats OK. You get a pat on your back, and a golden star sticker.

Now for anyone interested in a real world experience situation where someone put up their money and ordered one of these "get what you pay for" pipes:

I purchased the downpipe from JKVK just for fun on aliexpress on the 6th of October 2021. The shipping quote was that product would arrive on the 30th of October. Actual arrival was October 22, 2021. That is 8 days before they said they would have the downpipe delivered. That is a 16 day shipping window from China to Washington state. The product was decently packaged and showed up with zero damage. The product is stainless steel as advertised. The welds look very proper, above average, and definetly clean.
I have no interest in tuning my TDI or deleting any of the bullsht garbage on there, but I do have interest to check some sht talkers online hahahaha

The overall cost with shipping for the pipe was $377.43.

Sorry not sorry.

Last edited:

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats a pretty Debby Downer response there bud. Im sure you have your preference with one of the companies who sponsors this website, and thats OK. You get a pat on your back, and a golden star sticker.

Now for anyone interested in a real world experience situation where someone put up their money and ordered one of these "get what you pay for" pipes:

I purchased the downpipe from JKVK just for fun on aliexpress on the 6th of October 2021. The shipping quote was that product would arrive on the 30th of October. Actual arrival was October 22, 2021. That is 8 days before they said they would have the downpipe delivered. That is a 16 day shipping window from China to Washington state. The product was decently packaged and showed up with zero damage. The product is stainless steel as advertised. The welds look very proper, above average, and definetly clean.
I have no interest in tuning my TDI or deleting any of the bullsht garbage on there, but I do have interest to check some sht talkers online hahahaha

The overall cost with shipping for the pipe was $377.43.

Sorry not sorry.
So still almost $500 CAD for me.....