BEW / 05 Ranger automatic swap

ben2go

TDI
none
Seriously liking this.I have an '01 Ranger standard cab stepside with a bad engine and transmission.I have seriously considered going TDI with a non electronic AOD.The Ranger currently has a 2.5L gasser with a four speed 4r44e trans.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Just found this thread.

Most impressed with your bracket fabrication! How are you making them - AutoCAD?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Seriously liking this.I have an '01 Ranger standard cab stepside with a bad engine and transmission.I have seriously considered going TDI with a non electronic AOD.The Ranger currently has a 1.9L gasser with a four speed 4r44e trans.
Just make sure there is an adapter for that trans.

Laserface

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Seriously liking this.I have an '01 Ranger standard cab stepside with a bad engine and transmission.I have seriously considered going TDI with a non electronic AOD.The Ranger currently has a 1.9L gasser with a four speed 4r44e trans.
Rangers never had a 1.9L. The options for 2001 were a 2.3L four cylinder, and 3.0L and 4.0L six cylinders. The 2001 models also had the 5R55E 5 speed automatic across all engines.

ben2go

TDI
none
Just make sure there is an adapter for that trans.

LOL I just realized I put in 1.9L.It has the crappy 2.5L Lima,same as the previous Limas as far as bell housings go.If there's no adapter,I may have to go with a custom built non electric GM 700R4.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
It was not a very big deal to get it to work once I had it all wired correctly.
My problem was that I did not have the correct Ranger harness, ECM and trans, they were all different years.
If you had all the correct parts then it would be pretty easy.
Just a crank signal and TPS was about all I had to feed it.

bobby95

TDI
2005 Passat TDI wagon Malone 1.5 tune; 2006 Chev Colorado Crew Cab BHW/O1E Quattro Swap
Congratulations on an AWESOME project!

I just wanted to express my respect for such an awesome conversion. You have brought so much detail to this swap that it really made my day to read this thread! Thanks for sharing your hard work and innovation!