Front Bumper Options?

bigstump56

TDI
2006 Jetta MK5 5 speed, 1999 F250 7.3 power stoke, 2000 F250 7.3 power stroke, 2005 Excursion 6.0 power stroke
Ok guys after kissing the rear end of a suburban last week, I'm now looking to replace my front end. But instead of going back the same, I'm thinking of going back a different route. What all options do I have that will fit without issue? I thought at first about just going with the same bumper and blacked out Wolfsburg grille and going with black Cup headlights? But now I'm starting to like the paint matched golf style and R32 style front ends. Will these work on a standard Jetta? Do they bolt on, or are different brackets and so forth used? Or does anyone else have any better ideas? My car is the light silver and I'm wanting something paint matched, with possibly some black worked in. No chrome and no cup edition bumpers. They look great but they're getting impossible to find. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
Anything MKV will fit. Rabbit and R32 will fit, GTI and Jetta are the same bumper cover with different grills. Rabbit and R32 may require a different bracket or two but are pretty much straight bolt ons. The lower valance also is interchangeable so you can put a GLI or Votex valance onto a stock Jetta bumper to change the look.

Since you hit someone, if you havent already, you should check if the core support is cracked as they are very easy to break... I broke mine on a large raccoon at 60mph and it was a glancing blow by the side grill. The hit was hard enough to crack the whole side of the core support.

I was contemplating the Rabbit swap at one time but didnt want to spend the money on a new bumper cover, then have to match the paint, so I used $10 worth of plasti-dip on the chrome grill.

Last edited:

bigstump56

TDI
2006 Jetta MK5 5 speed, 1999 F250 7.3 power stoke, 2000 F250 7.3 power stroke, 2005 Excursion 6.0 power stroke
Thanks for the help, yours looks good. Are those the cup headlights? I really want a euro spec golf bumper, but I can't find one in stock anywhere. ECS carries them, and they're cheap, but they won't be back in stock until the end of May. Anyone know where I could get one of these?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Thanks for the help, yours looks good. Are those the cup headlights? I really want a euro spec golf bumper, but I can't find one in stock anywhere. ECS carries them, and they're cheap, but they won't be back in stock until the end of May. Anyone know where I could get one of these?
Cup headlights are not Xenon, they are standard bulbs, if you mean TDI CUP...

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
My headlights are stock bi-xenon GTI headlights... some where, some time, some poor sap wrecked his GTI and eventually my Jetta benefitted.

If you want the EU Golf/GTI bumper the only difference is the EU cars don't have sidemarker lights, so another option is to shave the sidemarker lights on the US bumper if you dont want to wait until ECS has them in stock. Word of caution, if you have vehicle inspections where you live the car may not pass without the sidemarkers/reflectors.

DIY sidemarker shave.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138762

bigstump56

TDI
Thanks for the advice, I was really wanting to get rid of the side markers. And luckily there's no inspection or even emission check on diesels in NC. The lack of muffler or catalytic converter would get me long before the lack of side markers would=)

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
I was contemplating the Rabbit swap at one time but didnt want to spend the money on a new bumper cover, then have to match the paint, so I used $10 worth of plasti-dip on the chrome grill.
Will the plasti-dip stand up to a standard (not touchless) car wash?

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
Will the plasti-dip stand up to a standard (not touchless) car wash?
I dont get my car washed at them too often but the few times I have it was fine. Its just rubber "paint", the best part is if you do it right and it does get damaged it you can just peel it off.

It can stand up to a lot.... just not car wax or diesel fuel. I found both of those out the hard way.