Chinese Passat LED tail light retrofit

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
What coding did you use for the BCM - the Chinese coding? If so, do you get lamp out errors for the cornering lights?

Is your car an SE or an SEL? How did you hook up the brake lights? Details, please! :)
As far as my coding I followed pretty much what jimmy did. So I guess you could call it a modified American coding. The only error I get is DRLs out when I first crank up the car but then it goes away. As for cornering lights I disabled those. But if you mean the side marker lights I have wired up some dummy lights to them. The car is SEL with the J519 module according the VCDS. For the tail lights I made mine own harness using spade connectors but have 3 of the 4 required plugs with out pins and connector to make a legit harness. I'll run a scan and post that if you would like. When I get home I look at what the part#'s for those plugs are and post them.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It would be helpful to get a scan. I've been going through my head on how to make a bastardized American (or other) coding that will work, but the ONLY coding that makes the US headlights function correctly is the US NMS coding. All other coding breaks the parking lights (only the side markers function on the front in all other codings).

So we've been resigned to either using non-US coding that breaks the front parking lights OR buying an entire Chinese light kit (headlights and fog lights). The Chinese fog lights have separate cornering lights, whereas the US lights use the fog lights as cornering lights. I suppose we could deactivate the cornering lights and install US fog lights, but may as well get the Chinese lights if we're going to install fog lights.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
codes

hey heres my codes, sorry it took so long i'm a slacker.

Address 09:5K0 937 087 Q recoded (Long Coding) from 6F200E3F982B08D408880201360001C80071008645A005F064806000BC70 to 6F200E3FF82B08D408880201360001C80071008645A005F064806000BC70

this was the last one in my debug file.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Remember off hand what the text on the check boxes was? Perhaps I'm off but it doesn't look like you changed the master light coding (byte 18).

-J

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I'm not sure I'll have to check but I don't think I changed that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I also have an extra adapter harness from kufatec for the bixenons if anyone needs one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As may of you know, our ongoing big project that Jason has been working on lately is getting the Chinese market LED tail lights functioning the way we want.

Jason is adding constant power to the trunk (yellow wire in pics below) for the new PWM control module that will control the LED tail lights (Curt Model 56201 PWM tailer light wiring converter). They will now function like the Chinese Passat except the turn signals will be the main LEDs instead of amber bulbs. The amber bulbs will be repurposed as a second set of reverse lights (4 reverse lights total).

The decision to go with the red LEDs for turn signals was for safety and visibility - this also mimics the new A6 and A7 Audis. The bullet lights (center element of the LED arrays) will only come on with the brakes and turn signals, adding to the contrast between parking lights and stop/turn. We will also have a convenient trailer wiring connection if/when we decide to install a trailer hitch.

Another wire is being added to for the rear fog light (red wire in pictures below). This goes from the headlight switch to the left tail light in the trunk lid.

Once the tail lights are done, a 30A switched power circuit will be added under the passenger's seat for some radio equipment. ;)

Inside the dash, fuse block undergoing surgery. Jason purchased factory repair wires (at great expense) to do all of the wiring the right way. No vampire taps here!

This is the emission controls wiring bundle.

Factory repair wires.

Aluminum look dash panels are made in USA!

Lots of little clips holding it on.

Wiring in progress.

All opened up.

Oh yeah - also included in this will be red LED footwell lights and the Kchorro trunk light mod. :D

Last edited:

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Thats so awesome! Can't wait to see the end results! I wish I had the know how to do these things. Good luck hope all goes well!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
This could be interesting indeed.

If you are even the slightest bit OCD as I am, I don't think you will be happy with the results because it will not be symmetrical. If that doesn't bother you, carry on.

On the outer light the parking light circuit lights up the upper brow and the lower ring at reduced power with the brake circuit lighting up the upper brow, lower ring, and the middle dot at full power.

But on the inner light, the parking light circuit lights up only the upper brow at reduced power and the brake circuit lights up the Upper brow, and middle dot at full power. For some reason, on the inner light the lower ring is part of the middle dot, where as on the outer light the lower ring is a separate light.

Lemme see if I can illustrate this real quick in Paint to explain it....

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Holy Crap...you have a dishwasher, use it! :D:eek:

Just playing! Cant wait to see em!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Robert, the pins are as follows.

Outer pin A: BROW+RING
Outer pin B: BROW+RING+BULLET

Inner pin A: BROW+RING
Inner pin B: BULLET

Existing wire to left outer light will connect to pin A and the left light input on the Curt.

Existing wire to right outer light will connect to pin A and the right light input on the Curt.

Pin A on the outer lights will jump to pin A on the inner lights (clone function for parking lights as well as brake lights and turn signals). This is basically how your car is functioning now, except you're taking Pin B on the outer lights and connecting it to A and B on the inner lights.

Now here is where the Curt controller comes in. In order to get the bullet lights to be on ONLY when the turn signal or brake is activated, we will use the left stop/turn output and the right stop/turn output from the Curt and connect them to pin B on the outer fixtures and pin B on the inner fixtures.

The way the Curt controller works is, it outputs 12v on the parking light wire any time it sees reduced voltage on the input side (stock Passat parking lights). When the input side rises to full voltage (stock Passat brake/turn lights), the controller outputs 12v on the stop/turn wires.

The original wires to the inner fixtures will be hooked up to dummy loads to prevent lamp faults in the computer.

The only problems that we might run into are a delay within the Curt controller that makes a slight delay in the bullet light activation, or the potential for backfeeding through pin A on the outer lights and potentially setting a fault code in the computer.

Inner tail light, pin A (BROW+RING)

Inner tail light, pin B (BULLET)

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Looks like the perfect time to install some dyna mat.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oye! One project at a time!

Dynamat is a pretty good idea though. I wouldn't be opposed to it. Fortunately the trunk carpets are fast and easy to remove so it could be done any time without much issue.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczktdkHsms

This video shows how the Curt 56201 works - perfectly, that is. :D

The lights on the left side are hooked up to the Curt and the lights on the right side are not. Next video will be all lights hooked up to the Curt and everything buttoned back up. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Some more pics ...

Parking lights + rear fog

Brake lights + rear fog

The rear fog light is insane. Easily twice as bright as the brake lights.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
That looks awesome! I am going to pass on anymore light modifications as I am content with my HIDs and I will just make sure to drive behind you to enjoy your lights ;-)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There is a rear fog setting on the Euro switch. The stock headlight switch is not capable of controlling a rear for light.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There is no way to differentiate between brake and turn on the US coding. To get amber turn signals you would have to change the BCM coding to China, Europe (?), or figure out how to do some custom programming in it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There is no way to differentiate between brake and turn on the US coding. To get amber turn signals you would have to change the BCM coding to China, Europe (?), or figure out how to do some custom programming in it.
And the problem with that is it breaks the front parking lights :rolleyes: Which is why we went this route to get the lights working :)

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
And the problem with that is it breaks the front parking lights :rolleyes: Which is why we went this route to get the lights working :)
-J
Indeed. I remember our adventures in BCM coding very well. :eek:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
That is advance mode. Nice. how much did you pay for rear light assy?
I hope Umnitaza will do those tail lights soon.