Endless 10 mph door lock

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
The problem is in the handle or the latch. It isn't something you can fix with VAG-COM unless you shut off the feature altogether. Water gets in and wreaks havoc with the electrics. VW has a fix in the form of a cover that goes in over a new latch assembly. My wife' 2013 started doing this and replacing the latch and added the cover fixed it. If I can put my hands on the RO I'll scan and post.
COuld you post the Repair Order?

:p

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
My left rear door started locking every time I went above 10mph on my way to work this morning. (I was NOT manually unlocking, or doing anything else other than driving.) Nothing to add at this point, other than that there is one more person with an issue - will update once I know what the solution is. Given stop/go traffic, locking every time I go above 10mph is a bit annoying.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just think every time your locks autolock or unlock, that's another cycle on your failing fuel door actuator!

How many more times until you won't be able to fill up when its 10F out blowing snow?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just think every time your locks autolock or unlock, that's another cycle on your failing fuel door actuator!

How many more times until you won't be able to fill up when its 10F out blowing snow?
It's only actuating the one door that it thinks is open/unlocked, not the entire system.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ohh gotcha, didn't know that was the symptom.

Still be ready with ton more complaints of fuel door lock issues as the miles and salt pile on.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Interestingly, I had my son sit in the back seat while I drove around a bit last night. While he also heard the click from the rear driver side door, he said there was a fainter click from the passenger side as well... Not sure whether that means that both doors are trying to lock, or something else. Either way, am I safe assuming that the side with the louder "click" is the problem side? (For parts ordering, if the dealership won't cover it under warranty since I'm at 42k miles.)

Another small note: I had my son try opening the rear doors while driving, but after passing 10mph, to see whether the doors actually were locked or not. He discovered that both doors were locked on the first try, but that he could open either door by trying the handle a second time. Apparently, attempting to open the door while in motion doesn't work if you pull the handle once, but will work if you pull a second time. Is that some sort of safety feature?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Interestingly, I had my son sit in the back seat while I drove around a bit last night. While he also heard the click from the rear driver side door, he said there was a fainter click from the passenger side as well... Not sure whether that means that both doors are trying to lock, or something else. Either way, am I safe assuming that the side with the louder "click" is the problem side? (For parts ordering, if the dealership won't cover it under warranty since I'm at 42k miles.)

Another small note: I had my son try opening the rear doors while driving, but after passing 10mph, to see whether the doors actually were locked or not. He discovered that both doors were locked on the first try, but that he could open either door by trying the handle a second time. Apparently, attempting to open the door while in motion doesn't work if you pull the handle once, but will work if you pull a second time. Is that some sort of safety feature?
I believe that's the way the locks on the rear door work, regardless if you're moving. If they are locked, it takes two pulls to open. I would consider this a safety feature, since more often than not it is a smaller person (child) in the back. I know my grandkids would fiddle with the handle while driving sometimes when they thought no one was looking. Even belted securely in their seat, I like that they couldn't easily open them.