New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
That's not the NMS, though. That's the European refresh of the current Passat, as I understood.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
That's not the NMS, though. That's the European refresh of the current Passat, as I understood.
Yep, over on Autoblog they're making all kind of noise about it (mainly bad) but not paying attention that VW says 2010 was the last year for the german built Passat in the US. Not sure if that carries over to the CC, but I doubt it. They had already stripped the Passat of any useful options/packages. It was just a stripper model for this year.

I am getting anxious to see what the NMS is really going to look like, and especially power and options. :confused:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
....:cool: It's water over the dam now, but taken as a whole, that car looks 95% MK5 Jetta, especially its proportions. Given we know the NMS will be much bigger than a Jetta, it was quite apparent that your picture probably wasn't the NMS.

This angle from the NMS has the truck for scale shows that this is a BIG car! I agree with the author that there doesn't really seem to be a place for the Passat and this car.

Looks like a stretched out MKV Jetta. Look...

I'm really starting to hate VW. They're turning American. BIGGAR IZ BETTAR!!!!! Yup, owning a car is all about leg room in the most of the time unoccupied rear seats of the car. Look at that thing, it looks like a limo!

Marley

TDI
none
BUT will it hold a 20 oz. bottle of your favorite soda-pop or water in the side pocket ?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I think "less-is-so-much-less-you-stop-caring-about-them design language" is the perfect way to describe it. And the previous one had all those curly-queus what with the fussy front and the circular themed rear end. Poor Volkwagen, the previous two generations before these two were spectacular. In fact, the square one (4 generations ago) was a classic take on the bauhaus, minimalistic damned near perfect design that VW/Audi were famous for.

Now look. Fugly. Okay, BORING. Can you imagine what the Beetle would look like if it were designed today??

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
VW doesn't listen to me but here goes if you wont bring in the new Sharan TDI can I have a Passat wagon TDI?

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
YUMMY, except for that crease in the back panel. It looks like something hit it~! Otherwise, gimme.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1022967_preview-volkswagen-passat-cc-wagon
I'd think that crease might be there because it's only a rendering.

Earlier this year rumors of a CC wagon sprung back up. Here's to hoping VW gives it the green light for the US.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6657484/we-hear/rumor-volkswagen-considering-cc-wagon-to-replace-passat-wagon-good-idea/index.html

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
A little more info:
VW lifts the veil some more on U.S.-built sedan
Amy Wilson
Automotive News | September 30, 2010 - 12:42 pm EST
Volkswagen of America Inc. has released new teaser images of the mid-sized sedan slated for assembly in Chattanooga, Tenn.
The German design influence is apparent in the renderings, which show front, side and rear views of the coming sedan.
ENLARGE
Volkswagen has not yet released the name of the new sedan, which is larger than the Passat. The actual vehicle will be revealed at the Detroit auto show in January. It will go on sale during the third quarter of 2011.
Volkswagen is finishing a $1 billion assembly plant in Chattanooga where the new car will be assembled.
VW says it will have a starting price of around $20,000 with expected annual volume of 150,000 units.
It will share 30 to 40 percent of its parts with the redesigned Jetta, and has been designed to give VW a more viable competitor to the Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima and Honda Accord.
ENLARGE
PRINTED FROM: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100930/OEM/100939970/1294&template=printart
Entire contents ©2010 Crain Communications, Inc.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
NMS Rendering

If this rendering is at all close to reality it looks like VW will be incorporating the Jetta rear into the NMS. Take a way the massive rims and artistic touches, and I sense the NMS is going to be quite conservative, but hopefully Audi conservative with the little touches that can separate boring from stylish.

EDIT: Close Jetta Connection also supported by:
It will share 30 to 40 percent of its parts with the redesigned Jetta
Did the Passat ever share parts with the Jetta?
Man do I miss the distinctive MKII-MKIV more and more.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Now VW will have two wagons in the US market ok that will work.Big question is will the CCwagon have the TDI option, 80% of the Jetta wagon sold are TDI.Will people pay 30to35K for a sportwagon?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
EDIT: Close Jetta Connection also supported by: Did the Passat ever share parts with the Jetta?
Man do I miss the distinctive MKII-MKIV more and more.
Every generation Passat (except for possibly the B1) has shared one part with every generation of Jetta - the twelve bolts that hold the driveshafts onto the transaxle. ;)

(Seriously. Same part number for a Mk1 Jetta with a manual as for a B6 Passat, IIRC. I recall running the part through ATP, and seeing that almost every single VW and Audi with a transverse or longitudinal FWD drivetrain used it.)

For a more serious answer, yes. The B3 and B4 Passats are derivatives of the A2 Jetta/Golf, and the B6 Passat is a derivative of the A5 Jetta/Golf.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Every generation Passat (except for possibly the B1) has shared one part with every generation of Jetta - the twelve bolts that hold the driveshafts onto the transaxle. ;)
:) I forgot to say that I was getting at whether 30-40% was more than usual? It just struck me when I read it, but that could be my ignorance of previous generations.

Saw the rest of the pics on AutoCar. Blandsville all around:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100930/CARNEWS/100939992
It definitely looks like the 2011 Jetta is the new design theme for VW. It's not terrible and it will probably grow on most of us a bit, but again, doesn't jump out on the road like the good old days (MKII - MKIV). Do they need to be mainstream in price and appearance to go mainstream?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'd say 30-40% is probably about right, with my knowledge (limited, admittedly) of the B3, B4, and "B6" cars.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Think of the B3 as an A2 with an obesity problem, a B4 as an A3 with an obesity problem, and the B6 as an A5 with a SEVERE obesity problem. ;)

The B1, B2, and B5 Passats were not built of an existing A segment platform. They also have longitudinal mounted engines unlike the A cars.

The current Passat and Jetta are very similar underneath.

Personally, I think the current Passat is a rickety, rattling, cheap-feeling car compared to the B5. Nice looking, nice features, drives nice, but the interior quality is a real let-down. My 400k miles 10 year old Golf's interior is quieter than a customer's 45k mile 2009 Passat I serviced yesterday. Sad.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I think "less-is-so-much-less-you-stop-caring-about-them design language" is the perfect way to describe it. And the previous one had all those curly-queus what with the fussy front and the circular themed rear end. Poor Volkwagen, the previous two generations before these two were spectacular. In fact, the square one (4 generations ago) was a classic take on the bauhaus, minimalistic damned near perfect design that VW/Audi were famous for.

Now look. Fugly. Okay, BORING. Can you imagine what the Beetle would look like if it were designed today??
Just googled Jetta MK2 for the first time after reading your post. Honestly I didn't know it looks that nice. I thought the MK4 was flawless and the nicest Jetta, but now I think it's a tie between the two for me.

I'm waiting for the day De'Silva gets fired and is given the reason that today's VWs are ugly as ass. He's the one behind these ugly designs right?

How can it be that all the other German cars can keep the same basic design while at the same time evolving and remaining visually appealing, while VW can't? How do you go from square headlights to what the MK5 and 2011 have? BMW doesn't just redesign its front grill, it's part of what makes it a BMW. Look how Porsche evolved. How come VW always needs to "reinvent" its cars' designs? It's pathetic.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I actually like the looks of the new VAG products, and despise the looks of all newer BMWs and MBs, although I still like the utilitarianism of my A2 Jetta... the 3-box design just makes more sense for interior and trunk space.

I am not a fan of the CC though. To me, it just looks like VAG designers looked at the ugly-assed MB CLS (basically an E-class with a serious birth-defect) and thought "Oh, me too!" and engineered the CC, which is just a B6 Passat with an equally serious birth defect.

But lots of people like the CC, so that's fine with me. Ultimately having cars the general public wants is what VAG/VOA is after, not what a select few like me want. I would KILL for a new T2 Transporter with the 1.4L TotalFlex engine in it, like they sell in Brazil! Yeah, it looks like a 1975 Bus with an ugly grill glued to its beak, but I still want one. :p

I think the new 2011 Jetta sedan, with its simpler underpinnings, with a return to the old 115hp base 2.0L 4 cyl engine, will sell well here so long as the price remains competitive... and I think it will. The press will beat up on it for the "low power" but honestly, even driving my 52hp Jetta I still find myself having to weave my way through slow-moving morons through a sea of empty full-sized behemoth pickup trucks, so how much "power" do you really "need"?

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
It's the torque, don't we know~! :) The expanded TDI production will introduce a bunch of people to the benefits of what the diesel offers.

I think the new midsize looks better than the Jetta, assuming they keep the flaired wheel wells.

But I'm not counting on it.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Seeing the drawings of the NMS, I'm getting a strong mid-90's Impala SS vibe.

And that's a good thing.

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
The move to put more "daylight" between Audi and VW in the USA is dismaying. Even the small economizing differences between my '07 and '10 are quite noticeable. It's strikes me as very odd that the biggest car builder on the plant changes their marketing strategy every few years over here and still can't seem to get it right.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The press will beat up on it for the "low power" but honestly, even driving my 52hp Jetta I still find myself having to weave my way through slow-moving morons through a sea of empty full-sized behemoth pickup trucks, so how much "power" do you really "need"?
The finances of new-car ownership don't yet restrict the market to "needs". Unfortunately, the average American car buyer has bought in (literally) to the notion that (s)he "needs" a 0-60 time around 6 seconds and quarter-mile times which not too long ago were the province of dragsters. As long as fuel is cheap in the U. S. of A., it's going to be extremely difficult to get people to go for the performance they used to accept.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The average consumer also confuses horse power with torque. I have a co-worker that has several old VW diesels, including a caddy, and even he is confused by the horse power / torque conversation.