New Continental RNS-510 FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Here is what I posted at Vortex...

It appears to be newer. You are the 3rd person I have heard from to receive it. According to the version info on the disc it is 7994. I want to get a closer look at it, but I haven't got a copy in my hand yet. The version number makes it appear newer, but I want to look at the date on the actual data files to tell for sure. I will know more shortly.

Still not sure why VW is sending it out. Maybe enough people complained? I hope so!

Also, there is a new version of the firmware, 4369. It appears to only be for the K versions of the RNS510, that have a different drive controller, and an SSD. Don't think lightning fast like a PC with an SSD. This SSD is still IDE, but combined with the newest flavor of Firmware, is going to help, especially for retrieving Map data and POI's. So those people with all but the first 2014's should have a much better experience.

allipki

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
Yes, I also received that same DVD today.
Answer I just got back from vw
Dear Alex,

Your VW came with the most recent map update available at the time you purchased the car and further updates put out by Navteq are not provided by VW and must be purchased either from your local VW dealer or NavTeq directly.

You can visit your local VW dealer to purchase the latest map updates for your Passat or you can purchase the map update from NavTeq directly on the following link: *http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/

Thank you for taking the time to contact Volkswagen and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact our Customer CARE Center at 800-822-8987 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., in your local time zone.

Dominic F.
Volktalk

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Answer I just got back from vw
Dear Alex,

Your VW came with the most recent map update available at the time you purchased the car and further updates put out by Navteq are not provided by VW and must be purchased either from your local VW dealer or NavTeq directly.

You can visit your local VW dealer to purchase the latest map updates for your Passat or you can purchase the map update from NavTeq directly on the following link: *http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/

Thank you for taking the time to contact Volkswagen and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact our Customer CARE Center at 800-822-8987 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., in your local time zone.

Dominic F.
Volktalk
So, they themselves do not know why...

I think they are sending the disc that should have come with our cars. That is my current theory. Because it was newly packaged it got a newer version number. The data is not newer, but I won't know that for sure until I get a disc in my hands.

Wiesbaden

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Yep - it seems LokiWolf is correct. I just got mine today as well. It says
VW RNS-510 DVD v.5.2M 2012
North America DVD Package

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
On Jay's Car Blog he shows the new software in the rns510 firing up quickly for the 2014. Thinking that is why they are sending it out. The "hw" version on the new ones is 21 vs 02 on my Nov. 2012 build my2013. Guess that is hardware version?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
On Jay's Car Blog he shows the new software in the rns510 firing up quickly for the 2014. Thinking that is why they are sending it out. The "hw" version on the new ones is 21 vs 02 on my Nov. 2012 build my2013. Guess that is hardware version?
Read six posts above where I explained why the K version in the 2014's is quicker.

tdrag97

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
Hey guys.. so I also just gotten my RNS 510 v5.2M 2012 NA DVD package

But I would like to know if I'm able to still use the VIM? after the update.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys.. so I also just gotten my RNS 510 v5.2M 2012 NA DVD package

But I would like to know if I'm able to still use the VIM? after the update.
Yes, this is just Map data. It is not a firmware update. That is the only thing that could possibly affect VIM.

applied

Thanks for the info guys. LokiWolf, did you receive my PM? I have hardware version H02 and want to see what my options are. I currently have version 3696.

applied

Was the package in the mail just a maps update or does it also contain a firmware update to 4366?

allipki

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
Had you already updated the RNS-510 prior to the one you got from VW? If so, have you noticed any differences? Was VIM disabled?
yes, I did updated before using files from mr Loki, I had VIM, sw 4366 and maps installed, VIM and sw left same after this install but maps changed to 7944. I didn't have much time to test since I did it this morning only but noticed some better response when you zoom in/out or moving map with your finger. Also, it didn't update from first try, in my case it went through 3rd attempt, so you don't freak out right away.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
yes, I did updated before using files from mr Loki, I had VIM, sw 4366 and maps installed, VIM and sw left same after this install but maps changed to 7944. I didn't have much time to test since I did it this morning only but noticed some better response when you zoom in/out or moving map with your finger. Also, it didn't update from first try, in my case it went through 3rd attempt, so you don't freak out right away.
And now your map data has gone backwards...You went from 2012Q3, to 2011Q3.

I would recommend you reinstall the Map disc that you downloaded from me.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Send LokiWolf a PM and he will send you the link. The goal is to *NOT* make it totally public.

- Tim

eshawger

TDI
V5.2 with map version 7994

And now your map data has gone backwards...You went from 2012Q3, to 2011Q3.
I would recommend you reinstall the Map disc that you downloaded from me.
Allipki had reported earlier he had 7994, so his latest post must be a typo.:cool:

eshawger

TDI
Help needed validating v5.2 version 7994 maps

Can anyone with 7994 already installed do a search for Jersey Mike's sub shops in the Chicago area. The result should be more than 15. Please reply to this post.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the v5.2 DVD from VW. My personal litmus test is the number of Jersey Mike's sub shops in the Chicago area that are found in the points of interest database.

V.5 that was installed at the factory only had 3 stores in Places. Folks that's how I knew my 2013 Passat TDI SEL maps were 2 to 3 years out of date when I bought the car in March. Those stores were opened in 2009, no surprise when I learned v.5 was from 2011Q3!

Today there are 30 in Chicagoland and even the newer version 7963 has only 15, but there is a bit of a time lag even at Navtec.

Thank you,
Eric

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Can anyone with 7994 already installed do a search for Jersey Mike's sub shops in the Chicago area. The result should be more than 15. Please reply to this post.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the v5.2 DVD from VW. My personal litmus test is the number of Jersey Mike's sub shops in the Chicago area that are found in the points of interest database.

V.5 that was installed at the factory only had 3 stores in Places. Folks that's how I knew my 2013 Passat TDI SEL maps were 2 to 3 years out of date when I bought the car in March. Those stores were opened in 2009, no surprise when I learned v.5 was from 2011Q3!

Today there are 30 in Chicagoland and even the newer version 7963 has only 15, but there is a bit of a time lag even at Navtec.

Thank you,
Eric
It is Navteq, and 7994(V5.2) will have the EXACT same as 7870(V5), because they are both using the 2011Q3 database.

eshawger

TDI
Thanks

It is Navteq, and 7994(V5.2) will have the EXACT same as 7870(V5), because they are both using the 2011Q3 database.
Thanks Ray. I'll advise my dad to ignore the "new" DVD he just received from VW. He was planning to "upgrade" as neither of us realized it would be a downgrade. I'm sure not anxiously awaiting the DVD now...

But I'm confused as to why VW would spend $10s of thousands sending out v5.2 if it won't install newer maps than what they already installed in our RNS510 radios at the factory.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.