VW Extended Warranty - worth it?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I also purchased the vw platinum 7 yr 100k/ $0 deductible; one of my concerns is wondering is the dpf system may not be covered since it's an exhaust part.
I'd just as soon remove it, but that's another story...
The service contract I was looking at (not VW) was exclusionary, and when I questioned the exclusion of all EPA classified emissions equipment and all exhaust, I was told that there is a separate Federally mandated 8/100 warranty on all emissions equipment (so I assume all the AdBlue, DPF, and cat would be covered).

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The service contract I was looking at (not VW) was exclusionary, and when I questioned the exclusion of all EPA classified emissions equipment and all exhaust, I was told that there is a separate Federally mandated 8/100 warranty on all emissions equipment (so I assume all the AdBlue, DPF, and cat would be covered).
Searching, I found this earlier answer that might be of value to you:

DPF Warranty -- Help translate VW's Response
There have been several posts / threads on the warranty coverage of the diesel particuate filter with no conclusive answers that I could find. So, I sent an e-mail to VW and specifically ask "is the diesel particluate filter covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8 years or 80k miles." This is the response I got back from VW.

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail in regard to the Federal Emission Warranty on your award-winning Jetta TDI. We strive to build safe and reliable cars for the enjoyment of our customers, and I hope you are enjoying the unique driving machine your car was built to be. I understand you are seeking to know if the diesel particulate filter is covered by this warranty, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I realize you looked for this information in the Warranty Booklet for your Jetta, and I am sorry you felt the information was not as specific as you expected. The Federal Emissions Warranty on your car covers the Engine Control Module, On-Board Diagnostics II, and Catalytic Converter for eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, for manufacturing shortcomings in materials or workmanship from your in service date of September 30, 2008. The diesel particulate filter is also covered under this warranty. I hope this information was helpful.

As a member of the Volkswagen family, your questions are important to us. If I may be of further assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
(800) 822-8987 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting. If I am not available, one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.

Sincerely,

Djennin Casab
Ext. 43340
Customer CARE Advocate

So, what's everyone's opinion on VW's response? Did they really answer the question? They stated that the DPF "is also covered under this warranty" but did not specifically say whether the time frame is for 8/80 or could it be for only 2/24 OR does "also covered under this warranty" imply the 8/80 coverage.

I just sent an email back to VW illiciting a very specific "yes" or "no" response to my question. We'll see what happens. Oh and BTW, my purchase date was October 29, 2008 and not September 30, 2008. At least they got the year correct.:rolleyes:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Searching, I found this earlier answer that might be of value to you:

DPF Warranty -- Help translate VW's Response
There have been several posts / threads on the warranty coverage of the diesel particuate filter with no conclusive answers that I could find. So, I sent an e-mail to VW and specifically ask "is the diesel particluate filter covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8 years or 80k miles." This is the response I got back from VW.

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail in regard to the Federal Emission Warranty on your award-winning Jetta TDI. We strive to build safe and reliable cars for the enjoyment of our customers, and I hope you are enjoying the unique driving machine your car was built to be. I understand you are seeking to know if the diesel particulate filter is covered by this warranty, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I realize you looked for this information in the Warranty Booklet for your Jetta, and I am sorry you felt the information was not as specific as you expected. The Federal Emissions Warranty on your car covers the Engine Control Module, On-Board Diagnostics II, and Catalytic Converter for eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, for manufacturing shortcomings in materials or workmanship from your in service date of September 30, 2008. The diesel particulate filter is also covered under this warranty. I hope this information was helpful.

As a member of the Volkswagen family, your questions are important to us. If I may be of further assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
(800) 822-8987 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting. If I am not available, one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.

Sincerely,

Djennin Casab
Ext. 43340
Customer CARE Advocate

So, what's everyone's opinion on VW's response? Did they really answer the question? They stated that the DPF "is also covered under this warranty" but did not specifically say whether the time frame is for 8/80 or could it be for only 2/24 OR does "also covered under this warranty" imply the 8/80 coverage.

I just sent an email back to VW illiciting a very specific "yes" or "no" response to my question. We'll see what happens. Oh and BTW, my purchase date was October 29, 2008 and not September 30, 2008. At least they got the year correct.:rolleyes:
And, then there was this additional followup post:
OOPS, I fogot to update this thread when I received this in Jan. 2010. Here is VW customer care response to a followup question of whether the DPF is covered under the 8/80 Fed. emissions warranty.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply e-mail. I understand you have additional questions in regard to the coverage of the Diesel Particulate Filter under the Federal Emissions Warranty. I am happy to follow up with your inquiry.

Based on the information available here in the CARE Center, the Diesel Particulate Filter is covered for manufacturing shortcomings under the Federal Emissions Warranty for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from your car’s in-service date of September 30, 2008. I hope this information was helpful.

Thank you for being a member of the Volkswagen family. I may be of further assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
(800) 822-8987 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting . If I am not available, one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Like most things like this there is probably a master document that is the end all for coverage questions. Any answer given through customer care is probably superseded by the master document if there is a difference. I wouldn't take anything said through there as the final word on anything.