2012 Passat TDI oil change

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Maybe a "joke" for you, but not in my experience...at 2 different dealerships in the DC area.
Too bad you didn't pull a sample of you (possible) 15k miles oil. A UOA would have answered your question, and/or given us an idea what 15k miles OCI would look like!

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
Maybe a "joke" for you, but not in my experience...at 2 different dealerships in the DC area.
Too bad you didn't pull a sample of you (possible) 15k miles oil. A UOA would have answered your question, and/or given us an idea what 15k miles OCI would look like!
No maybe about it, and thanks for sharing your "experience".

I am sure there are a lot of dealerships out there that are doing what they are supposed to but mine did not.

Also, I have the old oil. Its pretty obvious that you like to make your own conclusions with others' experiences. :confused:

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
European oil change 40k

I was leasing a Peugeot from the factory in France last year.
2.0 Turbo diesel intercooler 173 hp .
Got the car with zero km. When I was turning it back at 19500km after 3 months of cruising thru Europe the instrument cluster advise me that oil is due in another 20500km .
Then i was asking the Peugeot factory service adviser and he confirmed.
40k kilometers between oil change. That is about25k mile..

Tell that to a US service advisor he will think you’re nuts.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No maybe about it, and thanks for sharing your "experience".

I am sure there are a lot of dealerships out there that are doing what they are supposed to but mine did not.

Also, I have the old oil. Its pretty obvious that you like to make your own conclusions with others' experiences. :confused:
??? You made the blanket statement: "...the "free" service for 36,000 miles is a joke!..." You didn't say, "At my dealership, the 'free' service is a joke." I was only qualifying that it was in fact a false statement.

I'm still curious how your old oil would test. If it has 15k on it, it would be interesting. If it has 5k on it, it would be interesting as well.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I was leasing a Peugeot from the factory in France last year.
2.0 Turbo diesel intercooler 173 hp .
Got the car with zero km. When I was turning it back at 19500km after 3 months of cruising thru Europe the instrument cluster advise me that oil is due in another 20500km .
Then i was asking the Peugeot factory service adviser and he confirmed.
40k kilometers between oil change. That is about25k mile..

Tell that to a US service advisor he will think you’re nuts.
Were these cars leaking oil all of the place after 50,000, when last time they sale these cars in US?
Good luck doing same thing, it's been pushed by "Greens" and oil companies don't care much as long they got taxed by "Greens" as all we know after some past scandals in US.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
That was back then when American cars were doing 5 miles to the gallon and burned 2-3 quarts of oil per 100 miles before reaching 100k miles on the road.
Europeans are using synthetic oil since late 70's while us ( majority of consumers) just discover it. While in Europe back in the 90's I was doing my oil changes on my mercedes every
30k kilometers and no issues whatsoever at 637k when my dad sold it.
Peugeot is a superb car is just the fact that it was sold to market where the car is abused with no maintenance.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
That was back then when American cars were doing 5 miles to the gallon and burned 2-3 quarts of oil per 100 miles before reaching 100k miles on the road.
Europeans are using synthetic oil since late 70's while us ( majority of consumers) just discover it. While in Europe back in the 90's I was doing my oil changes on my mercedes every
30k kilometers and no issues whatsoever at 637k when my dad sold it.
Peugeot is a superb car is just the fact that it was sold to market where the car is abused with no maintenance.
"Peugeot is a superb car "
I love this, when it was leaking everywhere and from all holes. You don't need to compare Euro to US in the terms of using these cars. Most, 90%+, people in Europe are using public transportation every day, and they might use the car to get to public transportation center and parked. They don't drive in the condition like DC, NY or LA traffic ever with temperature outside around 100F, and no air flow to engine to cool it. Avg European summer is 70 F to 75 F deg , well it could higher on South of France or Italy and Spain.
Also older Benz model has bigger clearances so oil was not such big deal, now is everything low clearance and tolerances for better fuel economy so the oil is big factor. The engines are becoming smaller, smaller and compacting.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
No coment on temperatures but in the 80' most of the us cars dashboard showed max speed limit 100mph and 3500 rpm.
At that speed my kitchen mixer lasts a lifetime without oil.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
No coment on temperatures but in the 80' most of the us cars dashboard showed max speed limit 100mph and 3500 rpm.
At that speed my kitchen mixer lasts a lifetime without oil.
I see your point. Actually, I don't see a reason why I have to pay 30-50 bucks more for syth oil that could potentially better protection for the engine. I don't what can be add to syth oil that will last not just twice longer but three or even four time longer. Did you ask yourself this question?

Btw, 110 mph is about 180 km/h I think it's fast enough even Euro standards. Germany is only on country without speed limit on autobahn.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
i inderstand the point of 10k mi oil change but was wondering why audi a3 2.0 tdi with the same or almost same engine have recommended oil change interval at 5k mi?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
i inderstand the point of 10k mi oil change but was wondering why audi a3 2.0 tdi with the same or almost same engine have recommended oil change interval at 5k mi?
You're mistaken. It has a 10k interval as well. The first change is at 5k miles, 10k thereafter.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
We are going here on a well traveled path. “Shorter drain interval means more money out of your pocket” plus giving the dealership the opportunity to sell you unnecessary services.

Drive the car and leave it alone.
BTW waht is the change ionterval Amsoil proposes ?

ChrisB009

I used to change my oil at 5000 mile, or less, intervals - I typically follow the manufactures recommended change intervals on all diesels with the exception of my Silverado Duramax and the F450 - especially on the F450 due to the engine creating it's own oil (DPF burn off adds fuel to the crank case which in turn reduces the oil's properties thus I have to keep a close eye on the oil). The VW Passat TDI (expensive since you have to use the VW spec oil to stay within warranty coverage) will get the recommended intervals.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
You're mistaken. It has a 10k interval as well. The first change is at 5k miles, 10k thereafter.
So me was a good idea to replace oil at 5K. I guess there is no magic VW oil that does brake in period. Who would it think?:confused:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Heavy trucks have been testing their oils in recent years and getting 30-40,000km and more before a test tells them to change the oil. They have a lot more stress om their oil than a VW TDI.

Don

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Heavy trucks have been testing their oils in recent years and getting 30-40,000km and more before a test tells them to change the oil. They have a lot more stress om their oil than a VW TDI.

Don
They also have a much larger oil sump and it is cheaper for them to do a few UOI's then to change the oil early. In Europe I believe the 507 oil is speced for 30,000k OCI's.